Waking up starving

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
When I eat right all week, I am fine. When I sometimes have one cheat day, I wake up the next morning RAVENOUS! Why is this?

Replies

• mstanley
    mstanley Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem. I cheated yesterday, and woke up wanting more bad stuff, and lots of it. I had to force myself to eat a low calorie, breakfast that is good for me. I am still feeling hungry now, but I'm going to stick to my calorie goals.
  • meganwojo
    meganwojo Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    How much sleep are you getting during the night? Your hormone levels...ghrelin levels go up and leptin levels go down if you get broken sleep or very few hours of sleep...So you have a greater amount of appetite and a greater amount of intake. If you distrub your sleep you increse your appetite for high-calorie dense foods. I dont know if you get broken sleep or restless sleep, but if so..this is probably why your waking up so hungry! :flowerforyou:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. If I'm eating all the right stuff, I'm good all night. When I have pizza or other take out junk, the next morning I wake up hungry.

Why?

Simply put, my belly empties out faster. Foods that don't have much fiber or other nutritional value process very quickly through your system, leaving you almost hungrier than when you started. That's why I don't bother eating fast food for dinner anymore.
  • PinguimPraiero
    PinguimPraiero Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Great thread! Thanks for the info.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it also has something to do with your blood sugar. I have hypoglycemic tendencies and I can control them really well with my diet when I'm getting enough protein. Most junky foods don't have great nutrition (especially protein), so when I eat them, I feel wonky and ravenous. I ate pizza for dinner last night and I was STAAARRRRRVVVVVIIIINNNNGGGG this morning. :laugh:
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Did you eat anything really late, or a short period of time before going to bed? I've noticed if I do that, no matter WHAT the food is, junk or a cracker, piece of cheese, or apple, I wake up ABSOLUTELY starving in the morning. No idea why, but I've noticed that in myself!

Sure makes it tough to start off on the right foot, when you feel like being a human vacuum cleaner, doesn't it? :laugh: :laugh: What do you do when you eat on a "starving" morning? I tend to eat nutritionally-dense foods - high protein, whole grains (eggs and toast, etc).... :flowerforyou:
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    What's crazy for me is if I eat to late in the evening I wake up starving!