Yoga is for Everyone !

Options
Ever since yoga became a common word in our vocab, I've been wanting to try it. I just kept telling myself, when I get in shape I'll try it, or when I'm not so fat. I had this image of a giant whale beached and squirming to get back in the ocean.

I was wrong, dead wrong. I was sitting in front of the tv feeling tight and immobile after day one of The Shred, when I happened upon exercise tv on demand. It's a free channel so I was browsing through (a little mad cause shred level 1 is on there and I just bought the dvd) and happened upon some yoga routines. So I gave it a shot and man, it felt great. Now I wasn't able to do all the moves, but the stretching felt sooo good. It was relaxing and pretty simple for a beginner. I am addicted and it's only been 3 days. I have been doing a pm routine before bed and an am routine after the shred instead of static stretching. I think it's really making a difference already. I feel taller and I have better posture and it helps w/soreness of strength training.

So, if you have access to a routine, just try it. I know you will enjoy it, and it burns calories.

Replies

• BetterVersion
    Options
    Unlike you, I've always disliked yoga though I'd never tried it. hehe

However, recently, I've been trying it out, and I must say, though I'm not a huge fan, I do somewhat enjoy it. I don't find it relaxing or satisfying for the moment, but I notice the day after that my muscles are nice and tender, which means it must be doing something. I prefer to spend most of my time doing calorie burning exercising, but I've come to see the benefits of doing the yoga twice a week or so- I'm convinced it is helping to tone and strengthen areas my workouts tend to miss, and that's certainly a positive thing.
  • mstanley
    mstanley Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have recenlty started taking a Pi-Yo class, which is a mixture of pilates and yoga. I agree, the moves are tough at times, but I feel the difference in my muscles the next day.
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    If you have Netflix, they have a shocking number of yoga and pilates videos available for instant viewing. I'm in love, too!

This one is my favorite:
    http://www.amazon.com/Pick-Your-Level-Weight-Pilates/dp/B000GEIRBO

It has 3 levels (beginner, intermediate & advanced) all on the screen at once, so you can do beginner core work and advanced leg work, all with out having to go back to the dvd menu. Very useful, especially when some muscle groups are more toned than others. I find this video to be pretty challenging at intermediate, though there are a few advanced moves I've been able to do.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Unlike you, I've always disliked yoga though I'd never tried it. hehe

However, recently, I've been trying it out, and I must say, though I'm not a huge fan, I do somewhat enjoy it. I don't find it relaxing or satisfying for the moment, but I notice the day after that my muscles are nice and tender, which means it must be doing something. I prefer to spend most of my time doing calorie burning exercising, but I've come to see the benefits of doing the yoga twice a week or so- I'm convinced it is helping to tone and strengthen areas my workouts tend to miss, and that's certainly a positive thing.

There are many different styles out there. If you don't like the one you're doing, try somewhere else. Here is a good site that outlines the common styles: http://www.yoga4peace.org/yoga_styles.html
  • PinguimPraiero
    PinguimPraiero Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    What I most gained from a course in hatha yoga was the attention I developed to each of my body parts. I think it got me to actually *like* my body and care for how *it* feels about *me* and what I do to it--if this makes sense.

Now that I am doing hard core training, I know the stretching would totally make my muscle building more efficient. Thanks for the reminder to get back into it!

P.s. For those yogis out there, seek out a class in Bikram yoga if you ever do a fast or detox cleanse. Ex-cep-tion-al.
  • l8ybug
    l8ybug Posts: 24
    Options
    If you have Netflix, they have a shocking number of yoga and pilates videos available for instant viewing. I'm in love, too!

This one is my favorite:
    http://www.amazon.com/Pick-Your-Level-Weight-Pilates/dp/B000GEIRBO

It has 3 levels (beginner, intermediate & advanced) all on the screen at once, so you can do beginner core work and advanced leg work, all with out having to go back to the dvd menu. Very useful, especially when some muscle groups are more toned than others. I find this video to be pretty challenging at intermediate, though there are a few advanced moves I've been able to do.
    awesome, thank you for the post. I'll put it in my queue right now!
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    I didn't care for it the first time I did it. I just did a weirdo video. I gave it a second try watching on demand also :happy: I discovered I do like it. I found what types I like and I'm amazed at how fast the body adapts to yoga :heart:
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I love me some Wii Fit yoga. It is actually energizing and I feel much better the next day.
  • l8ybug
    l8ybug Posts: 24
    Options
    I love me some Wii Fit yoga. It is actually energizing and I feel much better the next day.

as soon as the wii fit/balance board is back on the shelves i will definitely hook it up. damn nintendo and their marketing ploys:(