Sugar cravings throughout the day!!

Options
Ugh, once again I hit the point where I am craving sugar CONSTANTLY! Wether I'm in school... Or at home... Or walking home. Chocolate and ice-cream are my worst cravings and I have no idea how to get rid of them or to substitute them with something sweet that will take the craving off? Any suggestions?

I eat 1300 calories a day, run 5 days a week 2k at a time and play ice hockey 2 days a week and just recently started having these cravings. I should be getting enough nutrients and vitamins and such from my diet so I don't think there is a lack of these at least.

Replies

• MissySho
    MissySho Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    When I get a sweet tooth I eat frozen grapes....or any fruit for that. But sometimes if I get ice cream I eat Edy's slow churned....and it's yummy
  • Krissyjean72
    Options
    How old are you? You could be going through a growth spurt if this is happening over a period of time (ie. more than simply a few hormonal or emotional days).

If so, up your calorie intake to 1600 at least as your body needs the extra calories to grow - hence your brain craving the easiest calorie intake - SUGAR!

Am also a big advocate of listening to your body. If you're craving sugar, try eating fruit or let yourself have a small bar of chocolate. Eat that chocolate realllllyyyyyyy slowly, savor the taste, texture and sweetness in your mouth and truly enjoy it. If you scarf it down, it doesn't give the brain time to register that its actually had what its been craving.

Sometimes, just a little bit of what we fancy, if we eat it mindfully, works wonders :-)
  • ezzziii_candoit
    Options
    How old are you? You could be going through a growth spurt if this is happening over a period of time (ie. more than simply a few hormonal or emotional days).

If so, up your calorie intake to 1600 at least as your body needs the extra calories to grow - hence your brain craving the easiest calorie intake - SUGAR!

Am also a big advocate of listening to your body. If you're craving sugar, try eating fruit or let yourself have a small bar of chocolate. Eat that chocolate realllllyyyyyyy slowly, savor the taste, texture and sweetness in your mouth and truly enjoy it. If you scarf it down, it doesn't give the brain time to register that its actually had what its been craving.

Sometimes, just a little bit of what we fancy, if we eat it mindfully, works wonders :-)

That's actually a good idea as i usually just go and stuff it in my mouth haha!

Well, i'm 17 and in the last year of IB diploma high school hence under incredible amount of stress, so might also be a reason i'm craving for everything right now...
  • thatsingergirl
    thatsingergirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you're not eating enough protein, or waiting until you're too hungry before you eat, that could be a source. Not enough protein, and being ravenously hungry trigger the craving for sugary things because your blood sugar dips low and then your body sees sugar as the fastest way to get your sugars up again. If you eat more protein and space your meals evenly thru the day, your blood sugar will stay steadier, and your cravings should be less. That's what works for me anyways! I have amazing willpower when my blood sugar is stable!