Salad Dressings?

Options
I really want to eat more salads, but the only kind of dressing that I found that I like is Dorothy Lynch (Reduced fat of course). :) Does anybody out there have any suggestions on dressings that are good and that I should try? :o)

Replies

• lady_jessi
    lady_jessi Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from soy oil, so I like the Simply Dressed stuff. I also make my own zesty Italian which is yummy. I get tired of having it all the time, but my kids won't touch a salad that has anything but "the sauce I make" on it. lol

It's nothing fancy. I just googled zesty Italian dressing recipe.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    i try to eat natural foods so i use:

olive oil+vinegar
    MOST COMMONLY i microwave frozen strawberries and let them chill overnight and use them as a dressing, so good!!

used to use Kraft Raspberry Vinaigrette so good
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms makes good dressings. Low calorie too.
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    I like Drew's Shiitake Ginger. Nearly 0 carbs and LOTS of flavor!!

29972982.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I put the dressing on the side and just dip the salad in it as I eat. I've found that uses a lot less than if you just pour it all on top.
  • santanagirl95
    Options
    I buy the Fat free Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing... I measure it out, 1 serving is 2 Tablespoons, I use 4 Tablespoons... Its only 15 calories per serving... I also put my salad in a container with a lid and shake it after I put on the dressing so Its evenly distributed... For being an EX Ranch girl... ( I used to eat Ranch on EVERYTHING ) Its really good... I have gone back and tasted a little Ranch with some carrots, now that I'm just maintaining... and Honestly... Ranch is Gross now. lol Zesty Italian all the way! :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge salad fan, but when I eat one I usually make my own dressing. It's super simple to make a dressing. Just start with olive oil and vinegar then add whatever spices suit you. I use a variety of vinegars, depending on my mood and what's in the salad. Mustards (again, I always have a variety on hand) make great emulsifiers. Lemon or lime juice or hot sauces make good substitutions for the vinegar too. I use a lot of the Mrs. Dash salt free seasoning blends. A little parmesan cheese is great in a dressing too. Even add a little mayo or plain yogurt if you want a creamy dressing. Get creative!

If I am buying bottled dressing, I look for one made with olive oil.
  • nahiluoh
    nahiluoh Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You can also have the dressing on the side and dip your fork into it before picking up the food with each bite. You get some of the taste but far, far less volume!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I mix it up because I tend to get sick of the same kind over and over. Right now I use Ken's light Olive Oil Vinaigrette and it's really good. 60 cals for 2 tbsp. I measure it out and bring it to work with salad for lunch.

I had Ken's light balsamic vinaigrette and light ceasar before this one and they were good as well!
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Maple Grove of Vermont Sugar Free Raspberry Vinagrette - 5 cal/2 TBS but 160 grams of sodium. Love this dressing. Also, I make my own greek dressing which tastes so much better than store bought. A little goes a long way.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I put the dressing on the side and just dip the salad in it as I eat. I've found that uses a lot less than if you just pour it all on top.

In the same vein, just dipping your fork in the dressing before you pick up the salad uses even less and still gives you plenty of flavor. :)
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the yogurt dressings from Bolthouse Farms (in the refrigerated produce section) I make this for the hubs and kids, add a little water to make it more dressing than dip, lasts in fridge for a week.

http://www.leighpeele.com/high-protein-ranch-dressing-extreme-salads
  • AUPerry
    AUPerry Posts: 166
    Options
    Raspberry!!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i like to make my own with some olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice and spices like garlic and oregeno. yum!
    i like annies green garlic too, and the naturally delicious chipotle ranch. drool
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I just tried Krtaft's raspberry vinagrette, thought I'd hate it, but it was pretty good
  • jdennisj
    Options
    I like the Ken's Lite dressings - they have a variety of them. Try the olive oil vinagrette or the caesar dressing - those are two of my favorites. Both are low in calories and fat. I actually had the Lite Caesar tonight.

I toss my salad in a large bowl to coat most of it - I use much less dressing this way. I generally stick to the 2 Tbsp, serving size.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I make my own caesar with greek yogurt, lemon, garlic, parmesan and dry mustard...no oil or mayo. Low sodium too.
  • carolcrockett58
    Options
    I use plain yogurt, garlic salt, garlic powder and stir them together. Reminds me of ranch dressing.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I love Ken's Light lowfat sweet onion.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the yogurt dressings from Bolthouse Farms (in the refrigerated produce section) I make this for the hubs and kids, add a little water to make it more dressing than dip, lasts in fridge for a week.

http://www.leighpeele.com/high-protein-ranch-dressing-extreme-salads

I love Bolthouse Ranch and it's pretty low cal for 2 tbsp!!