Protein powder

Options
I am looking for a good protein powder to bring to work. I get a lunch break at work, but it's so busy from then until the end of my shift that I don't get another break and I have to wait another 5 hours until I'm done and by then I'm starving. I want to bring a bottle with milk and protein powder with me so I can just drink that. I don't have 50 dollars to spend on protein powder, especially a giant tub I won't know if I will like so I'm wondering where I can buy a small container to try out, for maybe 20 bucks or less? Any protein powder reccomendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Nothing?
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I use Tiger's Milk personally. I hear Walmart has a decent brand that is pretty cheap and tastey. I would go online or in stores and see if you can buy or get samples first to taste test. There are a lot of nasty stuff out there.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    They have brands at Costco that are quite good, and reasonably priced. I buy the pre-made in the little tetra packs. Shake, put in a straw, and drink. I like the 'grab and go' convenience of it.
  • wasthat
    wasthat Posts: 11
    Options
    I use Syntrax Nectar (Fuzzy Navel) - it mixes with water so I don't get the carbs and calories of the milk. Usually about $30 to $35 for a tub but you can buy single serving samples online (they have lots of flavors). My local nutrition store will let you sample anything before you buy it.

I also have 5 blender bottles and make mine all up on Sunday night and store in the fridge. Makes it easy to run out the door and I can also get the mess all cleaned up.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Generally the better tasting ones are more expensive and even the 2lb jugs wouldn't be under $20. However there's lots of places or the companies themselves you can request samples from and try it out prior to purchasing
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition makes some great ones, check out the Nitro Core 24 line, you can get them at reasonable prices on Bodybuilding.com or DPSnutrition.com but like many other things in life, Cheap aint good and good aint cheap
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like Designer Whey - French Vanilla. Love. That said, I totally understand and agree with "try first". I found Whole Foods and GNC and Vitamin Shoppe had small packets that were perfect for tasting experiments.

Otherwise, as another poster has mentioned, worth it to ask manufacturers for a sample if you can't find packets handy. Especially if you've gotten recs, it's probably worth the effort.
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Nice! Your from Moncton! :) I'm from Halifax if you want to add me as a friend! Anyways, If you go to atlantic superstore they have a huge protein powder Exact brand chocolate. It's not the best tasting but it's only 20-25 dollars and it lasts a long time. I usually use almond milk (Almond Fresh Unsweetened - 35 calories per cup, as milk has about 90 calories per cup (skim)). Also, I add peanut butter and it makes it taste so much better! Tastes like reeses pieces! If you end up getting it:

1 cup Almond Milk (or milk)
    2 scoops of the protein powder
    1/2 tablespoon of peanut butter
    4 icecubes
    Blend :)

Hope this helped!
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I like rice protein powder. I have a sensitive stomach, and its the only protein powder that doesnt leave me bloated and gassy. Its also pretty affordable. I mix it with some almond milk and fruit juice. Its pretty yummy.
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I ended up going to Walmart, and bought a tub of protein powder called Iso Femme. It was about 19 before tax so not too bad. I realized when I got there and was looking at a little tub of Jillian Michaels that I never even thought that it has to be gluten free. The one I bought says Gluten Free right on the container. So, gonna try that tomorrow at work. I like Almond milk, but dairy milk has a lot more protein, and soy milk tastes like crap lol so I usually mix with dairy milk.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Yeah I use Body Fortress (Walmart) Chocolate Peanut Butter mixed with water and crushed ice. I love it, but my husband insists it needs milk--either way, it's only $15 (a little cheaper online), and sometimes you find coupons!
  • srudis25
    srudis25 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've been using Unjury and love it!! They have a chicken soup flavor that has 20 grams of protein. I have that with lunch and it helps carry me thru the afternoon. They have a sampler pack that is around $26, this includes shipping. It contains packets of all flavors, and is a great and inexpensive way to try the protein! Good luck! : )
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I've been using Unjury and love it!! They have a chicken soup flavor that has 20 grams of protein. I have that with lunch and it helps carry me thru the afternoon. They have a sampler pack that is around $26, this includes shipping. It contains packets of all flavors, and is a great and inexpensive way to try the protein! Good luck! : )

OOHHH! That sounds great. Much better than the dessert flavored stuff!
  • saraic282
    Options
    I got mine at Walmart, for less than $20, it's isolate, low carb and low sugar, French vanilla flavor, taste very good
  • elm2008
    elm2008 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I get all my protein powders from truenutrition.com. they're all fairly cheap and you can mix your own blend. I use the rice protein and buy a few different flavors at a time to make the shipping costs worth it. I love the chocolate chip and fudge flavors.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Yeah I use Body Fortress (Walmart) Chocolate Peanut Butter mixed with water and crushed ice. I love it, but my husband insists it needs milk--either way, it's only $15 (a little cheaper online), and sometimes you find coupons!

Ditto on Body Fortress! I like to Sberry better that Choc; haven't tried vanilla yet. I use 1% milk or Silk Almond original unflavored, depending on my calorie/sodium/potassium intake for the day. Walmart sells in online and on the web. The website also has a highly-rated blender bottle that has compartments for pills and powder. I'm going to buy one next week to replace/supplement my generic one.
    Additional note: I personlally only use protein powder if it's late at night and I'm far below my protein "floor". Otherwise, I try to reach my levels through normally food intake. I'm focused on weight loss via cardio right now. Once I bottom-out, I'll boost protein to increase muscle mass and add strength training to my regiment.
  • shade0343
    shade0343 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Nature's Best Whey Protein Isolate - Dutch Chocolate. Zero carbs, great balance of proteins and safe. A lot of the less expensive powders have heavy metals and other undesirable stuff included. You get what you pay for, and it's tough to fix the results of eating bad food after the fact.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    In terms of taste, honestly, they all taste pretty much the same based on flavour. Chocolate protein is just: protein, cocoa and sweetener 90% of the time with different levels of each. Just buy unflavoured (which is so much cheaper) and add you own sweeteners and cocoa depending on taste.
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I use Syntrax Nectar (Fuzzy Navel) - it mixes with water so I don't get the carbs and calories of the milk. Usually about $30 to $35 for a tub but you can buy single serving samples online (they have lots of flavors). My local nutrition store will let you sample anything before you buy it.

I also have 5 blender bottles and make mine all up on Sunday night and store in the fridge. Makes it easy to run out the door and I can also get the mess all cleaned up.

This stuff is BY FAR the best - fresh and fruity rather than heavy and milky. I love Fuzzy Navel, but also love Roadside Lemonade and Crystal Sky.
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I honestly stay away from protein powders you can get at walmart or costco. It's just worth the extra couple bucks to get a higher quality brand.

The problem with protein powders at grocery stores is that they do not have the full range of amino acids required for muscle building. You want a more robust powder.

I use dymatize elite. It is DELICIOUS! Just flat out SO good. My favorite is the cafe mocha - it even has instant coffee in it so it wakes you up! The 2 lb tub is $22 and totally worth it.

The gourmet versions are a lot sweeter and taste like a milkshake - but I stick with the elite because it has more protein, less carbs, and less fat :D