Weight Training Questions. Please advice.

Options
Hi everyone,
I had a few questions about weight training. Here are some of the things I was wondering about-

1. Should weight training be done after or before cardio?

2. I normally do a one hour cardio class after which I lift free weights for about 20 minutes. I'm not sure of how long my breaks should be between reps. For example, if I'm doing 12 reps X 3 per set, how long should I rest before starting my next set?

3. After my cardio class (Spin, Kickboxing, etc), I'm exhausted, and rest for about 15 minuites before getting started on weights. Is that too long a rest?

4. I'm fairly new to weight training (free weights), and I've been following a couple workouts from the Body Building website. So I try to do arms(biceps, triceps) on some days, and legs on other days. Is that okay? Or should I really do only maybe chest on one day, triceps on another, back on another?

5. Can I mix up machine weights and free weights over the week?

I'm really confused about this, and would really love some advice. Please let me know what you think.
Thanks so much in advance!

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do cardio on separate days.
    it wears you out, and you cant push your weight training if you're already exhausted.

I typically focus on a compound lift or two with free weights, then move onto machines ( if you insist) for assistance. I lift at home now and use 0 machines and prefer training that way honestly.

Take the time you need between sets. Don't rush it, but don't be lazy about it either.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    1. If you must do both cardio and weights on the same day, weights always come first, then cardio.

2. Rest between 60-90 seconds between sets. Fatigue interferes with your ability to lift heavier weights so make sure you rest.

3. Lift weights before cardio. 15 minutes rest is not too long before starting your cardio. Your heart rate needs to return to a complete resting state and remain there for a few minutes. If you're really fit, this may only take 10 minutes. But, remember the note about fatigue. The same applies to cardio, rest so you can put more effort (intensity) into your cardio workout.

4. If you're a beginner lifter, I would do full body workouts doing compound moves instead of the body splits you mention in your post. Full body workouts 3 times per week (M-W-F or T-Th-Sat).

5. If you're a beginner lifter, skip the machines and stick to free weights (barbell & dumbbells). Machines limit your range of motion and some can be downright dangerous by making your body move in unnatural ways.

A great program to follow comes from the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women." Check your local library or Amazon. Here's the link to a group of women who are doing this program:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

Another popluar program is Stronglifts 5x5. Available for free online and there are two MFP groups, one specifically for women:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • vanilakitten
    vanilakitten Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    That was super helpful!!
    Thanks a lot!
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I didn't really read all the replies you received but this is what I was told by the trainer at my gym (and also part of what I know from previous training). You can do the cardio either before or after; I do it before only because it somehow energizes me to do machine weights but it is really personal preference. You can do different machines during the week (any kind of cardio machines or workouts can be done everyday) but try to focus on either upper or lower body machines/exercises every other day. So if you do upper on Monday, do lower on Tuesday. This gives time for the other to recovery and that is how your muscle builds up which will also help burn calories over time. If you do full body workouts just skip a day in between. Also, time in between sets varies on muscle being worked. Wait about 60 seconds for larger muscles (like your quads) and 30 seconds in between for smaller muscle groups (like triceps). Hope this helps. :smile:
  • Jose2828
    Options
    I I agree weights first means you will burn more fat if you go immediate to cardio after weights do not wait. The reason is weights burn glycogen which is stored in the muscles for faster than the body replaces it. So following with cardio immediately the body has option but to burn fat, assuming you are not in starvation model. After 10-15 minutes the body will have replaced the glycogen so in that window work really hard.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    strength/weights FIRST, cardio/aerobic AFTER

it's mainly about cellular recovery
  • redlion45
    redlion45 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    1. If you must do both cardio and weights on the same day, weights always come first, then cardio.

-:wink:
    X2 on This ^ If you have to do cardio first for some reason it's not the end of the world, and I would say go right ahead because it is better than skipping it, but for maximizing strength, weights first.

2. Rest between 60-90 seconds between sets. Fatigue interferes with your ability to lift heavier weights so make sure you rest.

:smile: ----I'd say it depends. That is certainly a good rest period, if you are trying for increased muscle size and pure strength. But, you can get a great workout doing little to no rest between sets (i.e. circuit training), and build your endurance and strength, all while keeping the heart rate up and burning even more fat while you do it. It's just a matter of what you are looking for. You probably will not want to do too much carido before that kind of workout, as it will wear you out quickly if you are already tired.

3. Lift weights before cardio. 15 minutes rest is not too long before starting your cardio. Your heart rate needs to return to a complete resting state and remain there for a few minutes. If you're really fit, this may only take 10 minutes. But, remember the note about fatigue. The same applies to cardio, rest so you can put more effort (intensity) into your cardio workout.

:wink: ----X2 on this. The really serious iron pumping type folks seem to split it up and do cardio on different days, or later that same day, but not everybody is up for that kind of time commitment.

4. If you're a beginner lifter, I would do full body workouts doing compound moves instead of the body splits you mention in your post. Full body workouts 3 times per week (M-W-F or T-Th-Sat).

:wink: ----X2 on this also. Bodybuilder, muscle specific exercises are necessary for competitions, not for general fitness and most people are better off with compound, functional strength moves anyway. That is why free weights are great. You can squat, lunge, deadlift, press, etc., and work lots of muscles at once, not just the one the machine wants you to focus on.

5. If you're a beginner lifter, skip the machines and stick to free weights (barbell & dumbbells). Machines limit your range of motion and some can be downright dangerous by making your body move in unnatural ways.

A great program to follow comes from the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women." Check your local library or Amazon. Here's the link to a group of women who are doing this program:

:happy: :happy:
    Two Thumbs up on this also. If you just can't bring yourself to use free weights, you can get a good start on the machines. I don't necessarily agree that they are dangerous unless you are really lifting a lot of weight on them, but free weights are clearly better. You will most likely want to move to free weights before too long anyway, so why not start there? Start slow, learn the proper form and repeat as necessary.... :happy:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

Another popluar program is Stronglifts 5x5. Available for free online and there are two MFP groups, one specifically for women:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • vanilakitten
    vanilakitten Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    That was really helpful.
    I'm going to switch my routine up, and always try to do weights first, followed by cardio. And try and minimize the breaks between the sets since I'm trying to lose fat.
    Thanks so much again!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    That was really helpful.
    I'm going to switch my routine up, and always try to do weights first, followed by cardio. And try and minimize the breaks between the sets since I'm trying to lose fat.
    Thanks so much again!
    if you lift heavy enough weights (which is the most efficient way to get max fat burn an) then you will need longer breaks between the sets.

also fat burn doent happen during your exercise anyway, it happens after the workout is over because your body getting to fat reserves takes a longer process than getting through the glycogen.
  • Big_Daddy6
    Options
    It really just depends on your goals. I sometimes warm up with some cardio before lifting but 15 minutes tops. Because my goal is to be really strong, I want the majority of my energy to go into lifting. When I'm done ill do some more cardio 30-45 mins to try and shed some fat. As far as rest between sets go, I rest about 4-8 minutes in between. I lift heavy and I need that rest. If I was trying to tone up and burn more fat while lifting I would only rest about 90 seconds. As far as routines go guess what, it depends on your goals again lol. I do 1 muscle group a day except Thursday I work bis and tris and Friday I do all legs. I do this so I can really kill what I'm working on and then give them 6 days rest. Full body every MWF is a good routine with straight cardio on non lifting days. It's really about finding what's best for you given the amount of time you have, keeping it interesting and making it fun. Check out the plans on bodybuilding.com. They have workouts designed to meet your specific goals. Hope this helped some. Remember DON'T GIVE UP!
  • michellersalo
    michellersalo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am an exercise physiologist and have some answers to your questions. Please let me know if there is anything else that you need to know about! :)

1. Should weight training be done after or before cardio? - It depends on your main goal. If you want to burn the calories, then you should start with cardio. If you want to focus on strength and increasing muscle, you should do strength first. Basically, you will deplete your energy stores so you should do the exercise that are most involved with your goals so you can give more of a maximal effort.

2. I normally do a one hour cardio class after which I lift free weights for about 20 minutes. I'm not sure of how long my breaks should be between reps. For example, if I'm doing 12 reps X 3 per set, how long should I rest before starting my next set? Unless you are body building- you should rest about 30 seconds between sets. The less you rest, the more fatigued your muscles will be and the more overloading you will do (basically your muscle don't fully recover, making them work harder and making more of an impact).

3. After my cardio class (Spin, Kickboxing, etc), I'm exhausted, and rest for about 15 minuites before getting started on weights. Is that too long a rest? - I feel that like is too long to rest. Your muscles start too cool down. You really want to be sure that the muscles are warmed up when you start your strength. I would try to start right into your workout, knowing that your weights be need to be reduced. But, 15 minutes is too long.

4. I'm fairly new to weight training (free weights), and I've been following a couple workouts from the Body Building website. So I try to do arms(biceps, triceps) on some days, and legs on other days. Is that okay? Or should I really do only maybe chest on one day, triceps on another, back on another?- It comes down to your goals. I typically train back/bi, chest/tri, legs, shoulders because those muscles work TOGETHER (biceps assist back muscles). If your focus is on muscle building, then one muscle group per day is okay. If you just want to get stronger and add a little mass, then focusing on let's say "triceps" on one day is really not going to benefit you in the long run. ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine) suggests 2-3 days per week of strength training per body part. So if you are doing chest on one day, back on another, legs, shoulders and arms, you won't meet that recommendation for "general' fitness.

5. Can I mix up machine weights and free weights over the week? - What is really important isn't so much the exercise selection but the intensity that you work at. Again, depending on your goals (I am going to assume that you want to add a little bit of muscle over time), you should be doing 10-12 repetitions of weights that are challenging. Meaning when you reach 8-9 reps, it should be VERY DIFFICULT but you can still complete it with excellent form.