Cabbage

Options
Okay so a few months ago I had some really great sauteed cabbage at a chinese buffet (I don't even consider going to buffets anymore!) but lately I have been really craving cabbage. I don't know how to make it, especially not to have it taste good the way it did there, but still keep it healthy.

Anyone know how I can make some delicious and healthy cabbage?

Replies

• jcarey101
    Options
    Hi there!
    I love cabbage as well. The only way I prepare it is spray Pam in a pan and slice it with zucchini,green pepper and onion. The Pam has little if no calories and you saute it just for 5-8 minutes so it keeps it's crispness. It's fabulous. I'll sprinkle some Mrs. Dash original spices on it and wha-la!

Hope you enjoy it

jen
  • expressbug
    Options
    I make sausage and cabbage all the time.

Cook up 4 slices of low fat Bacon and crumble it up
    add in the cabbbage and onion
    add in Fat free Smoke Sausage

Cook till cabbage and onion is tender.

Very Yummy and not to bad for you and its a whole meal in a skillet
  • MistahLee31
    Options
    I've been having loads of cabbage recently. Can't get enough of the stuff!!
  • lgav23
    lgav23 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love cabbage. I use it in a lot of different ways, so I guess it depends on what you want. I make a ham, greenbean cabbage soup, sauteed cabbage with corned beef, cabbage rolls in sauce, sauteed cabbage with onion.....I can go on...LOL
    I use cooking spray instead of butter when I sautee and a little water to help it steam.
    there are alot of good recipes online too.
    Good Luck:wink:
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    Servings: 4

Ingredients:
    3 cups shredded green cabbage
    1 cup sliced onion
    pam cooking spray (i use either olive oil or butter flavored)
    1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
    1 tbsp lite soy sauce

Directions:
    spray skillet with pam. add all ingredients and simmer on med/med-low heat until desired tenderness is achieved. stir often and add small amounts of water if needed to keep moist
  • carinrogo
    Options
    I eat it all the time! I heard that it actually has negative calories (your body uses more calories digesting it than it contains), so I have it a few times a week for sure.
    I often make it into a soup, which I love & it's really great to make a big pot on those days when you feel like you can't stop eating.
    I just saute some onion, add Low Sodium V-8 juice, water & spices & let it simmer until the cabbage is soft.
    You can chop the cabbage yourself, but a WAY easier thing to do is to buy a bag of "cole slaw mix" in the produce dept which has the cabbage all nicely shredded for you :-)
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Crockpot stuffed cabbage casserole

Ingredients

1 lb. chopped meat (Turkey or Beef)
    1 can of diced tomatoes
    1 bell pepper (green or red) chopped
    2 cups of shredded cabbage (green or red)
    1 6 oz. can of tomato paste
    1/2 cup of ketchup
    1 medium onion
    2 tbsp vinegar
    1 tbsp worstershire sauce
    1 cup Success (other) instant Brown Rice
    Garlic and Pepper to suit taste (tspn each)

Directions
    Take meat and onion (garlic if using fresh or powdered) and cook in a skillet, drain and put in the crockpot, mix paste, tomatos, ketchup together. Add cabbage and rice to meat in crockpot, stirring in the remaining ingredients, mix well, add water, cover and cook on low setting 4 to 5 hours, no longer. Makes 4 to 8 servings depending on how much you eat.

Nutritional Info

* Servings Per Recipe: 8
    * Amount Per Serving
    * Calories: 155.5

* Total Fat: 1.9 g
    * Cholesterol: 27.5 mg
    * Sodium: 731.2 mg
    * Total Carbs: 22.9 g
    * Dietary Fiber: 4.0 g
    * Protein: 14.0 g

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user LAUREEN629.
  • atouchet
    Options
    Cabbage is the MVP of my lifestyle lately!

It's so versatile, and you can help yourself to large portions because it's so low in EVERYTHING!

I treat cabbage like I used to treat potatoes when I was a big fatty, fat person. There's so many ways to prepare it! If you need a quick fix to compliment a high calorie main dish, go with the simple mixture of shredded cabbage, a bit of vinegar, salt and pepper. 2 Cups is under 25 calories (I think)...
  • beyondchowhound
    beyondchowhound Posts: 2,102 Member
    Options
    I just chop it up, big chunks, throw it in a pot, put a bit of water in it and steam it. Drain it and then I add a bit of butter and pepper and I could eat a whole pot. Sometimes if I have some calories to spend, I will put some sour cream on top. yummy.
  • christieb143102
    christieb143102 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Bump. I love cabbage!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I made a wrap last week that was awesome.

multi-grain tortilla or soft wrap
    BBQ pulled pork
    cole slaw made with bolthouse cole slaw dressing
    fresh jalepenos
    I chose not to add cheese 'cause the pork is obviously high in fat

It was so good and quick and easy
  • nisijam5
    Options
    I made a wrap last week that was awesome.

multi-grain tortilla or soft wrap
    BBQ pulled pork
    cole slaw made with bolthouse cole slaw dressing
    fresh jalepenos
    I chose not to add cheese 'cause the pork is obviously high in fat

It was so good and quick and easy
  • nisijam5
    Options
    I posted a cole slaw thread and someone posted this and it sounded de-lish

I typically like a sweeter slaw....made one the other day with about 1/2C pineapple-orange juice, dill, 2 tbsp light Miracle whip, salt and pepper and 1/8 C raisins and about 1/2 bag of slaw mix. I didn't log it as a recipe, so couldn't tell you the exact calorie per serving, but it was really yummy. Probably wouldn't do much for the pulled pork, but would be good for fish tacos
  • iamladibeast
    iamladibeast Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    tag for later
  • Jerzeebabie04
    Options
    Wow so many great things to do with cabbage! I like it more soft than cripsy, but I'm always worried about how to sautee it really good. Should I boil it before I sautee?

I know they say extra virgin olive oil is good for you, but I'm always afraid to use ANY kind of oil when I sautee because it just doesn't seem good for you to me. I also hear good things about peanut oil and many people think that Chinese places cook with peanut oil when they suatee cabbage. Anyone use any types of oil when they cook their cabbage?

It's funny so many of you make a soup with the cabbage. I can remember my mom being on some type of cabbage soup diet years ago and at the time I hated cabbage. I can't remember the way the diet worked, but now having cabbage soup sounds pretty good to me.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I'm actually making cabbage rolls tonight, it's a recipe I found on tasteofhome.com, however I will be substituting some things.. if good I'll post the recipe w/ nutrition.
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    bumping for later...I recently learned that I like cabbage, and it's super cheap, so I've been trying to think of new ways to use it.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I like to sautee big chunks o'chix breast in a little OO and Free Italian dressing, then dump in a whole head of chopped cabbage and more dressing and cook 'til the cabbage just starts to soften.

Good good and very light. The chix is cheap and the cabbage is practically free. I do this once in a while when I'm reallyl hungry, 'cause I know I can eat the whole %^$ pot of the cabbage and not do any real damage. :bigsmile:
  • BellinghamBelle
    BellinghamBelle Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What great ideas! I love cole slaw and you guys are giving me a craving for it. My new favorite condiment is Greek Yogurt (I love the Fage 2%) and I think I'm going to try to use it as a substitute for mayo in some cole slaw. I also use Splenda instead of sugar, and lots of cider vinegar, but I'm not sure how that will go with the yogurt..... I'll post back when I've tried it.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I've only cooked cabbage once, but I sauteed it low & slow with some sliced granny smith apples and sliced onions and it was sooooo delicious.