setting weight loss goals

Options
hi everyone - very new here and after reading a few posts im a bit confused.

is it better to start off with a lower loss goal in the beginning? i would like to lose 2lbs a week but this gives me a daily calorie limit of 1370 which is very close to the 1200 minimum.

should i start off by telling it i want to lose 1lb a week, which would be 1870 cals or 1.5lb which would be 1620cals ?

i dont want to start off to low and have nothing to work with at the end but am unsure what is best.

thanks in advance !

Replies

• kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    It's all up to you. It kind of also depends on how much you are trying to lose. People within 20 pounds of thier goal usually start out at 1 pound per week or less, where as those with more to lose feel great at 2 pounds a week.

Why not try the 2 pound s week level and see if you are hungry if you find you need more then change it.
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    do the 1620 and include exercise. I started with around 1550 to 1580 and did not eat back my exercise calorie. MFP gives you the option with every 10 pounds to lower your caloric intake. I learn my body and what I can eat and what I cant. What works for me and what does not. Some may not agree with not eating back your exercise calories but that is what works for me and my schedule. Sometimes I would eat back 1/2 (and that is rare) but not all the exercise calories
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I figured out my BMR (base metabolic rate) from a completely separate site and then added in my activity level

Set my calorie goal on here manually and ignored "exercise cals" you can eat back

After gaining back some weight this past year (tried going semi vegetarian....miserable fail) I'm going back to the 1200 for a few weeks (adding MEAT back in) and then adjusting
  • crazywelshy
    Options
    great - thanks everyone for your replies x
  • Evey_bee
    Evey_bee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm only on 1200cal a day and I'm set lose 1.2lbs a week. I could switch down to 1lbs a week at 1300cal, but since I eat back my exercise calories anyway I don't see that extra 100calories will make much difference in what I'm allowed to eat. I figured i'd rather slightly fewer weeks at 1200 since I'm pretty close to my goal (projected to be 5-6weeks away!) then I can go back to maintenance quicker :D