longtime runner, 1st half marathon

Options
2»

Replies

• cldaugherty
    cldaugherty Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My second HM is one week and three days away. My first one I completed but not well due to an ITBAND injury. I ended up with a 2:45 time which is not what I wanted, but with an injury it wasn't too too bad. This time I want to run the whole thing and run it well. I have increased by mileage per week along with speed. If I can recover from an inury and have the guys to try again, you can do this too. Good luck and let the pace be with you.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    after running my first 10k last saturday i decided i will run a half marathon next year (need time to train). my 10k was for charity and was a spur of the moment (3 days before the race i signed up) decision. i finished in 1:17 and it's the furthest i've ever gone. i'm excited to do my first half next june (Virginia Wine Country Half). any suggestions on training is greatly appreciated and what to do about hydrating during my runs.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I just want to come out of it with less pain and more energy than I did after that run.

Why? Racing hurts. :smile:
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! You must be super excited right now! Are you doing the Run to stay Warm in Eugene? I think it is in 6 weeks. I considered it but decided to do a different one the weekend after. I have done 4 halfs and a 14mile trail run, I was super sore after a few of them, but one I sat in a super hot bath afterwards and was a lot less sore. Also, after my last one I got a massage and that really helped with soreness too. I know a couple runners who like to use ice baths after a long run though, but I'm a wienie and that might kill me! lol I prefer heat to cold. Good luck!!!! I'm so excited for you!
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm training, but my first half isn't until March. I'm up to running an hour now, but I know it's going to take me more than twice that time to complete the half. How do you handle water intake when you're training?

I run often and have completed a few 1/2 marathons and looking for a full marathon next year, so if i know im running the next morning I hydrate the night before, and for training runs it depends on the weather if I take water with me or leave it. I try not to run with water in my hands but as was suggested you could use a camelback bladder on your back instead.

good luck
  • bkibbs
    bkibbs Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Same story different verse for me. I wanted to run my first half this past September, but backed out using the excuse "I wasn't going to get the time I wanted," knowing full well I could actually finish and be proud of just completing the race.

It was my new year's resolution is run a half in 2012 and a full in 2013. And since I missed my chance on the half, I plan on running BOTH in 2013!

Feel free to add in if you like, I'm always looks to give/receive encouragement!