Phantom Illness/Symptoms

Options
Has anyone felt they were experiencing symptoms of diabetes, high blood pressure or any other condition, when clearly they were not.

This is the first time in a long time I have been at this weight long term and everytime I get a twinge here and there I get anxiety about my health.

If you have had something similar, I'd love to hear your story if it improved once you lost some weight.

Replies

• Kit_Kat1213
    Options
    Maybe I should be a bit more clear, so you don't think I am crazy. (I have PTSD and Generalized Anxiety as a result).

I carry a lot of weight in my hip/butt/tum area (think Saturns belt). I get a lot of pressure on the spine and since having given birth my back has not been the same.
    When I lay in bed, in certain positions, my toes go numb.
    I then stew about having circulatory issues, and maybe it being a heart problem or diabetes.

I just wondered if anyone else had this who was carrying a lot of weight at some time and it improved once weight was dropped. I suppose I am hanging onto the thought that if I do the same, it will improve for me too.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Only tangentially related - I decide that I have diabetes every summer because my hands start sweating a lot and that can be a sign. And then after about two weeks of panicking, I remember that it's also a sign of it being stupid hot out.

More related - yeah, problems that are caused by carrying around too much weight do tend to get better if you lose weight. But lots of things look like lots of other things, so it's not always the best idea to try to self-diagnose. So, uh, see a doctor and find out what's actually the problem? Then you can figure out what needs to be done to fix it.

I thought I had bad knees, but it was really just having weak muscles around them - squats, lunges, and taking off some weight (when I went from 188->175) is what fixed them, not anything I did to my actual knees.
  • Kit_Kat1213
    Options
    Thank-you. Hearing this helps. :)