Crunches and sit-ups

Hi MFP peeps

I started doing crunches and sit-ups daily and could really feel it in my abs for the first few days. However 1 week in I’ve stopped feeling the burn even though I’m increasing the amount I do each day. Does this mean I’m not doing them right or that my muscles are getting used to it??

I’m trying to achieve a flat toned stomach. Is crunches and sit-ups the best thing for me to do?

Please help!

Replies

• AdamBellfpt
    AdamBellfpt Posts: 224 Member
    Crunches and sit ups are 2 exercises which people often do in order to try and get themselves the flat stomach. Unfortunately it's not as simple as that. In order to get a flat stomach, you need to lower your body fat because the fat lies above the muscle and covers it. Sit ups/ crunches and general ab exercises won't help with burning the fat, for that you need to be doing cardio. Also you need to be eating healthily because abs are pretty much made in the kitchen!

If you're looking to tone up your stomach then sit ups and crunches may help but there are better exercises around.

As for not feeling them anymore, the muscles have probably adapted to the exercises you are doing so you either need to change the amount (reps and sets) you are doing and/or introduce new exercises. The other thing to remember is that the cruches and and sit ups work certain areas of ab muscles better than others.

Hope that helps
  • DollyPocket
    DollyPocket Posts: 33 Member
    Thank you thats very helpful
    So basically.....
    1) more reps - challange myself
    2) reduce my body fat
    3) look for different exercises that work different muscles

Wish me look!
    Thanks again :-)
  • Evey_bee
    Evey_bee Posts: 77 Member
    A variation you could try that a friend introduced to me (and is a little harder) is to keep your legs lifted a little off the floor but straight whilst doing crunches. You might feel that a little more. (I don't know if there's a name for it!)
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    With crunches, you want to focus on keeping your lower back pressed into the floor and your tummy tucked in. You want to imagine bringing your ribs to your hips. It is a very small, subtle movement and difficult to do correctly. Try lifting the heels, or keeping the legs in a "tabletop" (yoga reference) position for more focused work. You can try straightening the legs as well. Many different variations here.

With sit ups, its the same thing, but you need to focus on keeping your body still and using your abs to pull you up. I see so many people do the little body rock thing to get them up. That defeats the purpose of the move.

Another great ab exercise is plank. Try to work yourself up to a minute. There are so many variations of the move, but it tones everything when done correctly. It is basically just holding yourself in a push up position, but you need to keep your abs tight to keep your lower back from sinking down and you need to keep your butt from going up.