Taking breaks from exercise?

Options
Just looking for opinions and to see if anyone takes planned breaks from working out if they are training hard (heavy weights and cardio)? By breaks I mean more than a few days. Pro's? Cons? Necessary? Not necessary? Discuss....

Replies

• deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    If you are training hard, then I think taking a break is important. I do not plan breaks, but I just base it on how my body feels. If I am especially sore, or my body just really does not feel up to it. then I take a day off. This does not happen often, and I don't use feeling a little tired as an excuse, I just try hard to listen to my body. If it is just a motivational issue, and I know that I am being lazy, I make my butt get out there and work. But if it is more than that, I get a day off, or a light day with maybe just a nice long walk.
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I do take breaks, mostly so that I do not get burned out with exercise. It also gives my mind and body a chance to unwind and perhaps take some of that time to work on another project. For me, this is a life-long commitment, so missing some workouts isn't really a big deal.
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I push through soreness because for me, exercise actually alleviates the aches and pains caused by...exercise. I am doing a half marathon in 2 days. I plan to work out again tonight and take tomorrow off for the big day.
  • BellaBones
    Options
    I take one day off a week. I do not see the plus side of not being active for any longer than that. It is usually Saturday. :)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    a friend of mine said that a week off is not a bad thing after 8-12 weeks of lifting. she referred to it as a reset. i actually (accidentally) took a week off last week, and am back at it this week...hittin it hard and it feels great!

im curious to hear more on this...
  • JIGGLYbellyPUFF
    JIGGLYbellyPUFF Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I used to take one week off a month before I got on the pill. Jogging made cramps unbearable.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I think it's necessary to take a week out every few months. Makes you come back stronger! Just personal experience really x
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am in the gym 7 days a week and I work with a personal trainer twice a week. I think I am a little obsessed though.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have, but if my diet fell to pieces, I felt like utter crap and it was REALLY hard to get back to it. I think as long as you don't allow yourself to completely fall off the wagon, it can be psychologically beneficial
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I think it's definitely not a bad idea. I take 4-6 days in a row/month usually and I think it really refreshes me. When I go back to exercising after taking a break, I am SO much more motivated and my times are always PRs that first day back!
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have one planned day off a week and every once in a while I'll take a week off, especially if I've been running a lot along with the bootcamp class I attend. Taking time off "resets" me and I have more energy and am more motivated when I come back. Everyone is different though. I know lots of people who don't take any break other than a day every couple of weeks.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I am currently taking a week off from exercising and counting calories. I have had my focus pulled in so many different directions the last few weeks, and I've been so stressed out by this constantly "lose the weight" mentality. I need a breather. Motivation and determination is not gone, and I'll be kicking *kitten* in the gym starting Monday.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I definitely find benefit to taking a week or so off from high intensity exercises (running and heavy lifting). During that time, to keep myself active and motivated, I will take walks and do yoga or dancing. I need to stay physically active to help balance my moods. But my body also sometimes needs more than a day or two to recover from intense exercise.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm about 2 pounds away from goal, and I've been doing 45-60 minutes of exercise 6 days/week since February. There were only 2-3 weeks where that number dropped to just 3-4 workouts/week. When I hit goal, I'm going to take One. Full. Week. Off. I won't go crazy and drink milkshakes at every meal or anything, but man...my body is exhausted. I'd say listen to your own body, and if you know that mentally you can handle a break (i.e. you WILL return from it) and physically you need a break, do it!
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    After I finish the 30DS in 8 days :) I will be taking a 2 day break, then continuing on with Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown. I've never tried Yoga but I'm interested to see what it can do for my body. I think it will be a good time for my body to recooperate. We'll see how it goes!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input!!! I have been working out anywhere from 3 to 6 times a week for a very long time.....literally for 35 years and have been fortunate to have no real injuries or issues. There have been 2 babies and a handful of vacations (although we are always super active on vaca) but no real significant breaks for the sake of allowing my body rest and recovery. About 6 months ago I started 'heavy' lifting/ strength training/ body weight/ calisthenics and HIIT style workouts (up my cals and protein) and yep I'm seeing results!!! This week my body is feeling especially beat up though. I've read that some people will take 7 to 10 day breaks and eat at maintenance to 'reset' and recover. Been toying with this idea. It would be a exercise hiatus BUT I would be staying on track with healthy eating. I was just curious if other people have done this:))
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    A break is fine, just not too long....that is how I ended up here! :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    After I finish the 30DS in 8 days :) I will be taking a 2 day break, then continuing on with Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown. I've never tried Yoga but I'm interested to see what it can do for my body. I think it will be a good time for my body to recooperate. We'll see how it goes!

^^ I love Jillian's yoga meltdown!!!!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I usually have at least 1 x rest day a week and usually have a week off every 3 months or so (usually to co-incide with a holiday). Need the break to appreciate the work I do!
  • skolvikes5
    Options
    "Deloading" is necessary after several weeks/months of hard training to allow your body to recover completely. Many people will actually come back after that week stronger because of it. Your body and CNS will tell you when it's time to take a break. So, I don't plan one.