food and anxiety

Options
Today, i found myself reaching for the chocolate chip cookie because i felt nervous about going in to work. It's a long standing habit of mine to use food to defuse low level anxiety. I am sure i am not the only one who does this; i'd like to hear from some people who used to do this but now have found a decent in the moment alternative.

Replies

• TjDee
    TjDee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Today, i found myself reaching for the chocolate chip cookie because i felt nervous about going in to work. It's a long standing habit of mine to use food to defuse low level anxiety. I am sure i am not the only one who does this; i'd like to hear from some people who used to do this but now have found a decent in the moment alternative.

Take a moment and remind yourself of your goal. Know that every time you put something into your mouth, it will either move you one step closer or one step further away from that goal.
  • djhenson66
    Options
    I am new to this. I find your comment very strong but fair and it is defiently one to recall and use as a reminder. Thanks
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I try to remember (in the moment of reaching for the food) that eating the food won't actually solve the problem. It feels good for what... a few seconds? A few minutes at the most? But afterwards, the problem that was making me feel anxious is still there, and now I have the additional problem that I ate some food that I didn't need. The cookie might have temporarily diffused the anxiety but it didn't get rid of the fact you had to go to work, and it didn't get rid of the reason that you felt anxious about work.

Learning to tolerate negative feelings like anxiety has really helped me not to use food to feel better. Look into (ie. google) distress tolerance skills. There are techniques that you can learn to experience negative emotions and just kind of get through them without needing to numb them with things like overeating.
  • penguinjlynn
    penguinjlynn Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I too am a stress eater. Get in the habit of asking yourself WHY you are eating before taking a bite of anything. You cannot change the behavior unless you first recognize it and confront it. It's hard and tedious. I still slip up for sure, but I'm much better than I used to be. Also try to recognize triggers for your anxiety or daily sources. Eliminate what you can and develop healthier coping skills for those you can't.

17371326.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Food causes me anxiety. If I meet a big meal I feel anxious after it. Today I had wagamamas and its made me anxious about eating tomorrow. I just don't know what to have! :S
  • Rhia55
    Rhia55 Posts: 247
    Options
    I know how you feel. I've spent the entire day arguing with my brother via text because he is about to be evicted and wants to move in with me and I don't want him there. And getting angry because he keeps arguing with me about it. I'm trying to not go to the vending machines in the break room but it's hard. I just keep telling myself that I'm not going to let him make me weak.
  • bakay138
    bakay138 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Take a moment and remind yourself of your goal. Know that every time you put something into your mouth, it will either move you one step closer or one step further away from that goal.

Love this. A simple statement to regroup.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I've been using my weight as a shield from attention for most of my life. Not male attention, just any attention. It was easier to hide when I was fat, or at least it felt easier. When I feel myself being noticed I catch myself reaching for food to stop it. Taking myself out of the situation or even having a jacket around to use as a sort of security blanket has been really helpful for me.

Of course, I don't expect that to be one-size-fits-all. When you catch yourself reaching for food try to figure out what you're feeling and what you need to stop it. There is no quick fix that I can find. It just takes time and attention. I know you'll figure it out, though!
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety issues as well and its either, when i have mild anxiety i go for food. If its a full on panic attack, i get sick to my stomach and have vomited. I have "trained" myself to either, just have a bite of something and throw the rest away, or step away and have a glass of water or something healthy like a banana or something like that. If you need that sweet fix to make you feel better, get little hershey kisses or mini chocolates to have one or two when you need that fix.
  • allinoelle007
    allinoelle007 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    This is a problem I have too and I have deterred myself from eating in those anxious moments through these ways:
    stopping and taking a few breaths to refocus
    taking a walk
    calling a friend and venting
    outlining what I can control, and what I can not.

I hope this helps!
  • Ibelievenme2
    Ibelievenme2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have days like that. Once a week. It seem like something is always happen. Talk about anxiety! I have it. Tomorrow I will be faced with a huge problem concerning my child. I have to remember if I keep over eating I will never succeed. Even though I go over my recommend calories by MFP I look at it this way. I only pile 2500-3700 calories in 1 time a week. I look at how I have came so close to my recommend calories. I give myself credit for that small victory. I love popcorn when I am stressed. I substitute cucumbers. Sometimes that don't work and I just eat the popcorn with all that oil, but I am down from 12 cups of popcorn to 2 cups. When you get to feeling that way if you have to have food reach for something healthy. I told my child we are not going to bring candy in the house unless it is a single bar, not the bags we have been eating. Little changes help. I have a long way to change completely. Hang in there. (p.s. have you tried making your own and only make a few. A lot healthier and you wont want them as much if you have to cook them all the time)
  • Ibelievenme2
    Ibelievenme2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
  • spippin73
    Options
    Grab a bottled water...preferably cold. Remind yourself of your goal. If the water thing doesn't work, grab a small banana. They are not my fav, but they are filling!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

I used to..
    now I use exercise as my stress relief :)
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i workout harder when i feel my anxiety levels going up. harder for my system to be in fight or flight mode when it's exhausted.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    No I don't do this... when I get anxious I don't eat...
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I am a stress eater. Avoiding stress is impossible since I am in med school. Also, I am easily stressed out by comments on my weight and diet. I have my diary here locked because one little word about what I should or should not be eating (combined with stress from school) can put me into a tailspin of self loathing, and anger at the person who is trying to help. To stop myself from binge eating I do the following.

-Exercise the snot out of myself to lower stress
    -Log everything so I can use that as my excuse not to eat anymore
    -Eat one thing that I really want, then make time to work it off
    -Plan ahead for meals so that I know when to stop
    -Tell my friends and fiance that they CANNOT mention my diet unless I ask about something specific (how many servings of veggies should I eat). This is the most important one. I have had to tell people multiple times but watching me switch between crying and angry defensiveness really seemed to get the point across. Only my doctor can say anything about my diet without me turning into a raging ball of tears.
    -Do my homework ANYWHERE but the kitchen
    -Keep low calorie snacks around in case I binge. Binging on apples is a heck of a lot better than on Ben and Jerry's
    -Don't keep treats I cannot stop myself from eating around (crackers, chips candy etc)
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I do this as well.... one thing that has helped me was to purge my kitchen and pantry of unhealthy snacks and replace it with quick and easy things that will still be healthy. Like, Larabars... fresh fruits... applesauce and stevia for making quick healthy baked goods... and I memorized some of the ChocolateCoveredKatie.com single-lady recipes for when I need something sweet but need a single serving (so I won't gorge myself!!!)

Honestly, I think that food CAN be helpful when you're stressed out or anxious or lonely, whatever.... food is a social activity in part for humans, and provides comfort, and I think that is OK. But what will make us feel bad later is not that we ate, but WHAT we ate. That's why I think a little bit of planning and kitchen-purging can help!
  • healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I do this. I compulsively anxiety eat. I eat to procrastinate. I don't like my relationship with food - but as long as I know that food will be there later, when I'm not anxious and stressed out, I'll enjoy it so much more. Good luck xx
  • asaViolet
    Options
    thanks guys, i appreciate the responses.
    I found food helps me because it interrupts feelings that might otherwise snowball if i allow myself to worry about them. Food is so convenient, and comforting in it's familiarity. But it's not the only strategy available. this is what i've gotten from this thread so far:

@tjdee i thought a lot about your answer, and my first reaction was "well, i never really have just one goal and once i start to get anxious sooner or later my number one goal becomes 'feel better'. " I do understand it though- the first thing i need to do is 'just say no" to solving my problem that way. its about self discipline first

@jester "distress tolerance skills" was an excellent phrase to google. it was very helpful.

@penguin - identify triggers, in order to plan for how to cope with them

@diannethegeek A good amount of my anxiety is fueled by social situations- if i could have a superpower it would definately be invisibility. I like the jacket idea; i think i feel that way about my glasses. they aren't just for vision- they are a face shield.

@fleurdelis and others- cold water might be enough of a substitution, if not something small and nutritious like a banana or nuts.

@ sarah, crimson, ibelieve, and others - not keeping the super- easy super-rewarding snacks around and making my own is a good suggestion for portion and impulse control. that healthy dessert blog was very cool.

I have found if i'm able to do something engaging, like take my own blood pressure or brush my teeth sometimes gives me enough of a pause to reconsider, so excercise would probably work too if i have time.