Weight Loss Commercials

Options
This morning when I was scrolling through the channels I saw a commercial for Zumba fitness. Now I love my Zumba class, but has anyone ever noticed that the women in the commercials have no sagging skin or stretch marks in their after pictures? I only noticed because I've been researching sagging skin after weight loss and it is on my brain. There were women who have lost 100+ pounds and in their after pictures they show close-up shots of their perfectly toned stomachs and they have no stretch marks and no sagging skin.

So I must be really naive because I thought those testimonials had to be from real people? I know they stretch (haha) the truth but I thought they had to be based on some sort of honesty.

Replies

• sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    bump ... i would like to know peoples thoughts on this too
  • jilllemar
    Options
    Shamelessly bumping my own post because I am wondering if anyone else have ever noticed this.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It's a commercial.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Now I'm not saying this is the case for all things BUT
    I was watching a documentary once and it was about like. steriod use for wrestlers or whatever BUT there was a section on weight loss and how they did the before/after shots on the same day. By making the person slouch and blow out their stomach and makeup and then on the after pci they stand up straight and flex.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I guess that 's why it sells, it gives unrealistic expectations. I had two ten pound babies, the last 17 yrs ago, and my skin on my tummy is still saggy. I only gained 30 lbs with each pregnancy and lost it each time. I can just imagine what a 100 lb loss would be like for the skin.
  • jilllemar
    Options
    I know they are commercials but I guess I thought they had some requirements for truthfulness. I thought if they showed people giving testimonials that they had to real people and real before and after pictures. Otherwise I expect to see that disclaimer they put in about an actor being used for a real testimonial.

It never really clicked until this morning. My sister is a size 0 and always has been except when she was pregnant. She didn't gain anything when she was pregnant other than her baby belly and walked out of the hospital in her size 2 pants. Yet she has stretch marks on her stomach and it's been 8 years since she gave birth. So even if those people lost their saggy skin they should still have stretch marks.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I always wondered, if they lost 100 lb, why are they wearing the same outfit?
    Didn't they drop a dress size at all? And does that mean if i only drop 80 lb i'll still be in the same clothes?

Googled and this vid is really cool at showing how its done.
    http://wcrz.com/the-truth-about-before-after-photos-video/

I also love the disclaimer. " results not typical"

Does that mean most ppl who buy the product don't see any results?
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I also love the disclaimer. " results not typical"

Does that mean most ppl who buy the product don't see any results?

Pretty much, just like any diet/workout/fad/whatever. It either doesn't work, or it does work but people quit because it's not a magic pill.
  • jilllemar
    Options
    Oh wow, that video was awesome. Thanks for sharing. I can't believe he was able to do that in five hours!