Runners: vitamins and/or supplements.

Options
I have been running for about the past three months. I normally just take a multi-vitamin in the morning but am wondering if I should look into other vitamins and supplements to aid in recovery. I generally don't like to take a lot of pills particularly "cure all" supplements but I am wondering if any of you find a remarkable difference with an extra boost of vitamin d, glucosamine, etc.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There is a growing body of evidence that runners benefit (well, everyone benefits but runners more so) from anti-oxidants.

Here's an article that may interest you.....

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=12434&PageNum=3

you'll also note that a lot of your anti-oxidants can be consumed as food rather than supplements.

There was also an interesting article on competitor.com by Matt Fitzgerald (7 Supplements that Aren't a Total Waste of Money)

http://running.competitor.com/2012/08/nutrition/7-nutritional-supplements-that-arent-a-total-waste-of-money_29434
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about the past three months. I normally just take a multi-vitamin in the morning but am wondering if I should look into other vitamins and supplements to aid in recovery. I generally don't like to take a lot of pills particularly "cure all" supplements but I am wondering if any of you find a remarkable difference with an extra boost of vitamin d, glucosamine, etc.
    Thanks in advance!

I am assuming by your user name you are female so I would recommend at least taking some iron in the hotter months.

For me, I also take:

Hammer endoralytes (helps me with cramping)
    Hammer Tissue Rejuvenator (helps me with lingering issues of tendonitis)
    a multi
    fish oil
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Interesting, and I don't have any factual input just a personal experience story. I've been running (again) since January and have not used supplements. I recently had bloodwork which showed I was very, very low in vitamin D and that is after coming off the sunniest summer, spring and fall Seattle has ever had.. it made me wonder if all my running was sucking the 'd' right out of me. I'm taking 1000 iu's a day now (just two weeks in so I'm not sure if it is changing anything).

I also recently developed a respitory infection and for 9 days no running.. but have been pounding the vitamin C (6000 iu's a day) and I was able to run yesterday. I've had Pneumonia and or bronchitis 1 x each year (since my twinlings were born) and this is the fastest I've recovered. I did recently read, but didn't save (sorry) an article about the effects of vitamins c on lung recovery and muscle recovery and (although, I'm not sure) I think the vitamin C has made a huge difference for me.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    I take chondroitin and drink tart cherry juice to help with inflammation and joint pain. I don't take an adult vitamin because it seems to make my face break out. So, I take Flintstones.
  • _danjo_
    _danjo_ Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    When I remember, I take chelated iron, calcium/mag/D, B complex, and glucosamine/chondroitin and wash it all down with Emergen-C. I think it helps....?
  • shoegal38
    shoegal38 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the info! I'm going to be very busy looking all these things up! Greatly appreciated :)