I know that according to doctors
the media
and bmi scales
that I need to lose more than 20 pounds
but I feel like anorexia will kick in again
the only time I've been under 164 is when
I was purging or not eating...
Any advice?
Should I just stick to trying to be 150?
How did you set a healthy goal?
Did losing weight make you want to lose more than you really should?

Replies

• sselraef
    sselraef Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Example:
    I usually eat a lot through out the day
    Today I had grapes and strawberries for breakfast
    my intent was to have steamed veges for lunch
    and nuts for a snack

I have yet to touch the veges
    and in my head "nuts have sooooo many calories"
    I don't know how to not be extreme in
    it's eating like a pig
    or not eating at all
  • gjump91
    Options
    I feel like setting a weight goal that is realistic is good! For me my goal is to be 145-150, but then again I am 5' 3." That is realistic for me though, I tend to go to the gym and do things that make my legs really muscular. I feel that it is good to set goals, but be realistic, and realize there will be struggles on accomplishing that goal. I lost 40lbs, and still it is a struggle everyday. People think that when they are overweight they will lose the weight and be accomplished. The fact is, we are never done struggling to stay healthy and fit. I believe that we just have to have the drive in ourselves to set a goal everyday. Baby steps I believe is the route to success.
  • gjump91
    Options
    I feel that somedays I slip up and will eat something I know I should not have. That is reality though. We just have to accept it, and the next day set a new goal.
  • margrox4b
    Options
    its fine im sure you'll feel better after you do it :happy:

i know i always do
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Weight loss can fire up feelings of competitiveness and addiction. But it doesn't HAVE to.

Track your progress by more than just the scale. Go by how clothes fit, measurements and photos instead of the scale. Make fitness goals (ie, run a 5k, lift weights) and nutrition goals (get __g of protein a day, get __ servings of vegetables) your main focus, not the number on the scale or the tag on your clothes. Make a point to REACH your calorie goals, not stay under them.

And talk with your doctor, friends and family and let them know your fears. Get their help to keep you focused on health not weight.
  • sselraef
    Options
    I feel that somedays I slip up and will eat something I know I should not have. That is reality though. We just have to accept it, and the next day set a new goal.
    yeah, I definitely have to remember that tomorrow is a new day,
    thank you. :)
  • margrox4b
    Options
    eat but don't eat like a pig try to control your self have some not all and start little like a choclate bar and a piece of choclate trust me it will work i lost 2 pound in 1 one day like that and now im ona rolllll
    :flowerforyou:
  • sselraef
    Options
    Weight loss can fire up feelings of competitiveness and addiction. But it doesn't HAVE to.

Track your progress by more than just the scale. Go by how clothes fit, measurements and photos instead of the scale. Make fitness goals (ie, run a 5k, lift weights) and nutrition goals (get __g of protein a day, get __ servings of vegetables) your main focus, not the number on the scale or the tag on your clothes. Make a point to REACH your calorie goals, not stay under them.

And talk with your doctor, friends and family and let them know your fears. Get their help to keep you focused on health not weight.
    yeah, thank you
    that is a really good idea!
    Not striving for a lower number,
    just a healthier lifestyle..
    it's hard though..
    maybe I'll look into future marathons and train for that instead
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Example:
    and nuts for a snack

it's eating like a pig
    or not eating at all

This is a good start. You probably need to be having some protein as well. If you had some egg, a protein shake or yoghurt at breakfast and maybe some grilled chicken or fish with lunch it'll help you feel full. Nuts are great, remember the fat they have is good fat and we do need that. Keep the portion size small. I find it helps to individually portion them up when you get a big bag. Never ever eat directly out of the bag.

In terms of setting a goal, take it week by week or month by month. 150 is great to begin with. You can always re-evaluate when you get there depending on how you feel. Setting smaller more realistic goals will help you stay on track.
  • sselraef
    Options
    Example:
    and nuts for a snack

it's eating like a pig
    or not eating at all

This is a good start. You probably need to be having some protein as well. If you had some egg, a protein shake or yoghurt at breakfast and maybe some grilled chicken or fish with lunch it'll help you feel full. Nuts are great, remember the fat they have is good fat and we do need that. Keep the portion size small. I find it helps to individually portion them up when you get a big bag. Never ever eat directly out of the bag.

In terms of setting a goal, take it week by week or month by month. 150 is great to begin with. You can always re-evaluate when you get there depending on how you feel. Setting smaller more realistic goals will help you stay on track.

good plan, thank you
    I started munching on the nuts in a smaller baggy :)
  • indescribablesin
    Options
    Anorexia is a hard one to beat.

Remind yourself of all the reasons you're recovered; the energy you now have, the ability to enjoy other activities and hobbies without being swamped with thoughts of food, the ability to go out with friends without worrying about being forced to eat with them. Make a list.
    Set yourself a time by which you will have eaten XXX amount of calories in order to reach your calorie goal. Try not to go less than 100 calories below your goal in a day.
    Think good, encouraging thoughts. "I can do this." "My self-worth is not defined by how much I weigh." "I'm beautiful." <-- say these things to yourself even if you don't believe it and eventually you'll start to.
    Think about why you want to lose weight and make sure the reasons are healthy. Healthy reasons: You want to improve your already worthy self in order to be the best you can be; You want to make sure you're healthy and fit; You want a healthy frame of mind to go along with your healthy body, etc. Unhealthy reasons: You need to punish yourself; You HAVE to be skinny/perfect; You need the thrill of losing weight, etc. If your reasons for weight loss are unhealthy, you should probably rethink things.

Good luck! (:
  • sselraef
    Options
    Anorexia is a hard one to beat.

Remind yourself of all the reasons you're recovered; the energy you now have, the ability to enjoy other activities and hobbies without being swamped with thoughts of food, the ability to go out with friends without worrying about being forced to eat with them. Make a list.
    Set yourself a time by which you will have eaten XXX amount of calories in order to reach your calorie goal. Try not to go less than 100 calories below your goal in a day.
    Think good, encouraging thoughts. "I can do this." "My self-worth is not defined by how much I weigh." "I'm beautiful." <-- say these things to yourself even if you don't believe it and eventually you'll start to.
    Think about why you want to lose weight and make sure the reasons are healthy. Healthy reasons: You want to improve your already worthy self in order to be the best you can be; You want to make sure you're healthy and fit; You want a healthy frame of mind to go along with your healthy body, etc. Unhealthy reasons: You need to punish yourself; You HAVE to be skinny/perfect; You need the thrill of losing weight, etc. If your reasons for weight loss are unhealthy, you should probably rethink things.

Good luck! (:

thank you
    yeah, I just have to really go day by day
    because my reasons change quickly
  • asticoral
    Options
    I took a quick look at your diary, I'd like to suggest taking that 1440 and divide into your preferred eating habits (3 square meals or 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day) If you use 3/1440 = 480 calories per meal.

Remember the food pyramid: fruits and veggies, protein then starches.

Go to the store and grab veggies, fresh and frozen and lots of colors my favorites are broccoli, spinach, brussel sprouts and cauliflower. Fruits next; bananas, avocado, apple and oranges.
    Chicken, pork shoulder steak and fish are flexible meats you can find good deals on prices and use them in a variety of ways.
    Rice and good quality pasta, steer past the breads, chips, prepackaged processed foods and soda-pop.
    Nuts are an excellent source of good fats and protein and are an easy nibble food.

When you exercise feel free to eat up to 1/2 the calorie bonus back if you feel hungry enough without worry, be SURE to drink tons of water and I'd recommend checking the sodium level through the reports option once a week to keep an eye on it.

Enjoy yourself, you are learning a new way of living FOR yourself :)
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Well, you did seem to hit on something in your original post. Set smaller goals. Focus on losing the first 5 pounds in a healthy way, learn to live with that. Then, set goal for another 5 and spend a little time there getting comfortable in that spot. Then, when you are ready work for another 5. Allow yourself adjustment time to ease your fears. And as stated before, make sure you talk to people who can help you along with the emotional issues that arise. Good Luck!

EDIT: You could also try setting goals that are not scale based. "I want to improve my running distance from this to that.
    I want to improve my flexibility. I want to be able to push this many pounds of weight around in the gym." And let the scale be a 'sometimes' thing to gage progress, not the main thing.