Huge Problem with Sweets

Options
I cannot seem to give up sweets and diet soda. I have tried multiple times and I always regress. Anyone have any tips or suggestions for sucess?

Replies

• hem8787
    hem8787 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have the same exact problem. I have tried buying the carbonated fruit flavored water beverages to replace soda but I really don't like those (not sure how much better they are than diet soda anyways). I also try not to eat sweets unless I bake them myself. No more store bought cookies or any of that stuff. If I want sweets, then I need to make them myself. That seems to be helping me. Plus that way I can control what I put in them and can try to tailor the recipes to be a little healthier. Chocolatecoveredkatie.com has some good "healthier" recipes. Good luck!
  • chic519
    Options
    I am a chocolate fan myself! I discovered these little bite sized dark-chocolate covered cacao beans that come in a little tin that I stash in my purse. I got them at Whole Foods and they are 1 calorie per piece. To have a handful of them has really satisfied my sweet cravings! The brand is called Sweet Riot and I think you can buy a big pack of them online too at sweetriot.com

Good luck!!
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    cold turkey.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Who says you have to give them up? Fit them into your macros and move on.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I am a chocolate fan myself! I discovered these little bite sized dark-chocolate covered cacao beans that come in a little tin that I stash in my purse. I got them at Whole Foods and they are 1 calorie per piece. To have a handful of them has really satisfied my sweet cravings! The brand is called Sweet Riot and I think you can buy a big pack of them online too at sweetriot.com

Good luck!!
    I love these. As in they don't taste so good that I eat a ton of them, but they do quench the chocolate craving
    This too. I made chocolate protein muffins last night and while they were warm, I broke up pieces of milky way and stuck the pieces in the middle. Melty, chocolatey, delicious. Indulgence is good for the soul.
    On a daily (or nearly daily) basis I have:
    pGNC1-7794153dt.jpg protein mocha mix
    115605.jpg cake batter flavored protein powder
    *****17010006_lg.jpg***** Nutritional stats aren't much different from a normal natural peanut butter...except it's like reese's.
  • lexusgirl1
    Options
    I don't have balance in sweets, so I cut them out altogether. I find I don't crave them since I don't eat them.
  • latinspicefit27
    Options
    I for sure have the same problem....but if you dont keep it in the house/car/office you wont eat it. However if you do purchase, purchase a slice of cake and not a whole cake or a small candy bar not those plus sized triple the amount and dont buy the bags of mixed sweets...u will just want to eat one every time you pass the bag or kitchen lol =) Also they say if you try something 50 times you will eventually learn to like it...I did that with tea and no sugar...it took awhile but it worked...same with sport drinks like powerade zero...not the best tasting but after a crazy workout its the best drink in the world & I actually like it now lol;)
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I cannot seem to give up sweets and diet soda. I have tried multiple times and I always regress. Anyone have any tips or suggestions for sucess?

Most current research has found that the diet soda ingredients increases cravings for sweets. Yes I know that it doesn't hold true for everyone but you may be one of the unlucky ones that it does.

I would start by trying to cut at least 1 or 2 a day and slowly decrease. That said I was drinking regular when I started and I found it easier to just go cold turkey and drink water or sugar free drink mixes.

Good luck
  • Snail313
    Snail313 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have always been a huge sweets eater but the last few months I have gotten much better. I really try to stay within my calories for the day and If I eat to many sweets I end up being hungry the whole day. You just have to fit them in. Sometimes I need something sweet so when I go to the grocery store I get a single candy bar. I eat it, log it and them I am usually good for a few days. I bought icecream sandwiches a few weeks ago and I just ate the last one the other day, the old me would have polished them off with in a few days. You don't need to completely eliminate candy from your diet, just eat it in moderation. I also have 1 diet coke a day and I have no plans on stopping :P.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I think cravings for certain foods, especially sweets, come from a need to feel a little high...sugars have the ability to temporarily lift you up by increasing the serotonin in the brain. Unfortunately, it's too temporary and has bad effects on insulin and fat storage,,etc.

Another way to beat cravings without bad effects is to increase protein intake and teach yourself that this would make for a healthier person, inside and out.

There is alot of cool research and info out there on the net on this subject. Make it your new hobby to get some good info.

Most folks are just gonna tell you to chew gum or drink water. I say education is POWER! Go for it!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Yeah.... don't buy them. You can't eat & drink what you are not buying. Willpower is the key. Either you have it or you don't.
  • Jessicao33
    Jessicao33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

I had that also some times still do but not as bad I started taking gymnema daily..it worked great.. Good luck
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    What if you gave yourself a reward......

Add up how much you spend a day, a week, a month, a year, on soda and other junk food. Take that money and once you reach a certain amount, go shopping for something for you. Go get your nails done, your hair done, go get a massage. Whatever it may be to make you feel GOOD.

If you want to still have a soda, you can, just in moderation. But if that soda costs you 1.50, you can't add that 1.50 to your reward funds. You can even say you can only take money OUT of that funds if you want a soda. That way any time you are having one, you are getting further away from your goal of getting a massage, or whatever. But whenever you pass up on one, you are getting closer to your goal.

Might work.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Don't ask me .. I'm a sugar hound .. love love love my Mt. Dew and tons of sugar in my coffee/tea .. I generally don't go for sweet snacks .. but those darn sodas and pounds of sugar I need in my hot caffeine drinks.

I have tried Truvia .. even blending it half and half with my regular sugar .. I just can't get past that different taste. I am trying hard to break myself of the habits .. but dang .. it's hard .. and they take up such a big portion (the sugars do) of my daily calorie intake .. boo hoo :frown:
  • laura2270
    Options
    I am a sweet lover and a Diet Pepsi addict. I find that if I really stick to logging what I am going to eat BEFORE I eat it, I will usually decide it isn't worth it. I can't put it off and think I will log it later.

Also, I read an article that said when you want something, put it off until "later". Don't designate a time or what you have to have done first, just make it a generic statement. Then "later" doesn't necessarily always come. I have had a little success with that (sometimes I just don't have time "later"), but logging before I eat is the best thing for me. Good luck!
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    For me I have/had a huge problem with them. I tried the moderation but found I craved, I did cold turkey no more and its been a month... I still want to reach for it but can now control it. Previouly it was so unthought through, I wouldn't even think about it till it was already half chewed and then I would say well to late now give me some more.
    But even worse is one lead to another and then another and then well I may as well finish it. But I joined a challange it was a place for me to be accountable and that is what really made me quit, accountibility. And Now I am STAYING AWAY! For a long time.
    Hope that helps.
  • MrsZHuff2012
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the advice. I'll give the things you suggested a try!
  • skinnyitaliannn
    Options

Good luck!!
    I love these. As in they don't taste so good that I eat a ton of them, but they do quench the chocolate craving
    This too. I made chocolate protein muffins last night and while they were warm, I broke up pieces of milky way and stuck the pieces in the middle. Melty, chocolatey, delicious. Indulgence is good for the soul.
    On a daily (or nearly daily) basis I have:
    pGNC1-7794153dt.jpg protein mocha mix
    115605.jpg cake batter flavored protein powder
    *****17010006_lg.jpg***** Nutritional stats aren't much different from a normal natural peanut butter...except it's like reese's.

This! I love everything this poster mentioned