Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is there a Diff between exercise every day vs every other da

whyflysouth
whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I initially set my exercise goals for 60 minutes a day of cardio or whatever and I'm finding that I end up doing more like 120 minutes every other day. The difference being either because of being busy or my legs being sore and wanting to give them some time to recover. It balances out by the end of the week by averaging to 60 minutes a day so I'm wondering if there's any difference between exercising every day vs every other day for twice as long? Is one routine better than the other? (This is about aerobic exercise, not weight lifting).

Replies

• shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    I was wondering the same thing. I skipped yesterday and feel guilty.
  • Redkoala
    Redkoala Posts: 146
    Working out every other day is fine thats what i do. 4 times a week for 60 mins. If you're getting weighed once a week then it doesnt matter if at the end of the week you will have still burned the same amount.
  • lindsay1982
    lindsay1982 Posts: 245 Member
    Not an expert, but I agree with Redkoala, as long as you are moving, then it will be cool. Good luck!! :drinker:

Also, whyflysouth, I :heart: your ticker picture, it is so true!!
  • whyflysouth
    Good to know there shouldn't be much of a difference between one or the other.

lindsay - yeah ideally that ticker should be moving from a chubby guy on the computer to the neanderthal with the spear considering that's the direction I'm trying to go!
  • SASSYJAX
    SASSYJAX Posts: 103 Member
    My fitness coach used to say your muscles need time to repair so you shouldnt do cardio every day, you wont workout efficiently as your muscles will be tired from the day before. Every other day is fine, dont feel bad, you will get more injuries if your muscles are tired then you will end up with more than a day off! Do strength work on your day off or yoga or walk outside etc. Dont burn out those muscles, you are not doing your long term goals any favours I assure you!

Your body needs recovery time.

Dont feel guilty, it needs to recover from its work out too.

I was training for marathons, competitive speed walking. I actually pushed myself too hard and did massive physical damage to myself in the long run! ...and with so much training you need to be really hot on nutrition for your body. So my advice is to take it slower and you will achieve more in the long run.
  • i only do about 30 minutes of cardio each day, but i keep my heartrate at about 65% to be in my fat burning zone, and i switch it up everyday between walking up hill, eliptical, cycling, jogging. I also do anywhere from 30-45 minutes of weight training. Each day i work different muscle groups so by the time i get back to the same muscle group its been 2-3 days of rest for those muscles. Am i on the right track or am i working out to much?
  • whyflysouth
    thanks for the advice wishiwaskinny, i work from home sitting in front of my desk so i enjoy getting out and moving - i'll go crazy otherwise and there are some days which I feel like I can run one after another - like today actually. But it's good to know that resting for cardio isn't a bad thing.

kristen - That muscle group break rest looks good to me. You def want to give a day our two between lifting with a particular muscle, so that leaves just your cardio and I'd say that as long as your body is used to it 30 minutes cardio daily should be ok - do you feel like you're working out too much or is it comfortable/enjoyable?

I'm the type of person that once I start, 30 minutes isn't enough time for me so I end up on treadmill for over an hour and I feel it the next day...
This discussion has been closed.