Losing inches but not weight??

Options
So I've been doing MFP since the end of August, and I've lost about 2lbs in that whole time. (And it's hard to confirm even that, since my starting weight was a guess.) I also measured my neck, bust, waist and hips.

As of yesterday, I've lost at least 2 inches from each of those measurements (3.5 inches from my waist, so yay there), but my weight has remained pretty much the same since Sep 2. o_O

How the heck does -that- work? All my weights were taken via the doctor's office (I refuse to own a scale, to maintain peace of mind, heh), so I can assume they're correct.. Maybe I subconsciously stood a little straighter when doing the measurements, but 3+ inches would be a noticeable sucking in of the gut, so I don't think that was the case.. And it's not like I'm doing a lot of muscle-building exercise. If anything, I seriously need to be doing more exercise as a whole. ^_^

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this happening to them. Maybe my chub is just condensing. ha!

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I weigh in 1 time a week and my last 4 weigh ins have been:

4 weeks ago= no weight loss but 1 inch off waist
    3 weeks ago = no weight loss but another inch off my waist
    2 weeks ago = no change
    last week = no change

This was after losing 7 lbs the first week and 1 to 3 lbs per week for about a month. Now I'm kind of stuck but I'm using 2 new holes in my belt and am wearing cloths I haven't been able to button for a year.

You are making progress. Keep up the good work.
  • stephanie1133
    Options
    If your starting weight was a guess, then you don't really know how much you've lost pound wise. If you've lost inches, you've lost fat.
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    It's just weird that the loss is inches, not poundage. One would expect both at more or less the same time. :)

eta: the guess is based off my weight at the last doc appt before starting this, which was around May.. ish... Then it was 225. I figured there was no way I'd gained more than a handful of pounds in 3 months, so a difference of 2lbs seems logical.
  • stephanie1133
    Options
    It's just weird that the loss is inches, not poundage. One would expect both at more or less the same time. :)

Not weird at all actually. But you did state you didn't know your starting weight for sure, so you really don't know how much you've lost.
  • Zaftique
    Options
    Sorry, I should pop this down here:

eta: the guess is based off my weight at the last doc appt before starting this, which was around May.. ish... Then it was 225. I figured there was no way I'd gained more than a handful of pounds in 3 months, so a difference of 2lbs seems logical.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I have lost 42lbs since starting my diet this summer. (6-17-12) Consistently I was losing about 3 lbs per week so I had set a goal for myself to lose 13 lbs in Sept. I was so disappointed that I only lost 7 lbs the whole month. And worse yet, I lost those 7 lbs in the first half of the month and the second half of the month...nothing. Zero pounds lost. But I was still dieting and I was workoing out like crazy still. But when I took my end of Sept measurements I had lost 19 inches from all over (neck, both thighs, both upper arms, both calves, bust, under the bust, hips, and waist.) There are going to be plateaus along the way but taking measurements should keep you from becoming discouraged. It shows your body is still changing for the better. Keep up the good work! Don't allow yourself to get discouraged because of the amount of time its taking to reach your goals. Remember, the time will pass either way so stay on track. Eventually the scale will catch up with the measuring tape. It's frustrating but it will all shake out in the end.
  • Zaftique
    Options
    On the plus side, I'll be getting a sit/stand desk (like all the other techs here.. finally) in a few weeks, so I may be able to convince my boss to let me have a mini treadmill, muahahahaa...
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I'd rather lose inches....
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    A) you could have guess the wrong start weight
    B) different scales/ calibration error
    C) i' m guessing you had clothes and shoes on, that could explain quite a few pounds.

D) does it matter if you are feeling in better shape / skinnier and starting to eat healthier?
  • Zaftique
    Options
    I made a point to take as much extra stuff off as possible (purse, shoes, coat), but the rest are entirely possible!
  • harri1990
    Options
    I had this issue a lot when i first started.. am starting a new tactic now so will see if the same happens this time x
  • findfan4ever
    findfan4ever Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    As a former trainer who dealt with many female clients, I would always advise them to NOT use the scale as a measure of progress. All it really tells you is your overall body mass. BMI indices are misleading, too. Based on my BMI, I am almost obese. Look at my pics and you will see I'm no where near obese.

I told them to use body measurements and how their clothes were fitting as the measure of success. You have made some really good strides and the program you are on IS working. I am guessing you are incorporating weight training in your program as well. Feel free to add me as a friend and I will be more than willing to look at your program and offer recommendations if changes are needed. My quals are detailed on my profile.

Great job with your progress and throw that damn scale out the window.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    unless your intial weigh in was first thing in the morning, it's still just a round-about number. If you had eaten that day, needed to use the bathroom, had a lot or very little salt - all of that could have had an effect on your initial weight, so you really can't tell whether your current weight is less.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    1 pound of muscle occupies less space then 1 pound of fat. So you very well could be losing inches, but not pounds. Don't let the scale dictate your progress! I haven't lost a pound the last 6 weeks - but just did my measurements and lost an inch off my waist and 2.5% body fat. I call that success!
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'd rather lose inches....

/\/\/\/\

This!
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Just to tell you how important inches are versus pounds. The pants size and dress size I'm in now is the same size I wore when I was 15-20 lbs lighter years ago. But the clothes fit better. Increased lean body mass percentage is much more important than the number on the scale. I'm only halfway to my goal weight and people assume I'm at it already.

Keep going. You will have times where you lose inches/no lbs, then vice versa, then both. As long as you're not gaining significantly, you're on the right track. I say that because sodium, irregular bowel habits, DOMS can cause "weight gain" of a few lbs.
  • bradfoster522
    Options
    I had some large issues when it came to losing inches but not weight, I found this article, check it out and see if you helps you any, it worked for me http://empoweredezine.com/losing-inches-but-not-weight