Waiting to feel great

Options
So losing weight is supposed to make us feel great, right? Like totally empowered, energized and all-around amazing. I've lost 8 pounds and so far feel moody, snapish, tired, headachey, and all-around witchy (with a capital B). So when does the amazing come???

Replies

• sunfyrejade
    sunfyrejade Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    How have you lost that 8 pounds?

Are you eating really different foods than you were? Are you coming off a soda/coffee/something habit?

Also, what was your last straw? Why are you doing this now?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well...it says you joined this month so did you lose 8 pounds in 11 days or less? If that's the case my guess is that you are eating 1200 calories per day or less. You are HUNGRY! You can eat a lot more food and still lose weight! Good luck!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm still waiting to feel that way about all of me. My upper body is great, aside from my arms that make it difficult to buy women's shirts.

If you've only just started, that witchy feeling will be around for a bit. I got over mine in a week.
  • Snoopy108
    Snoopy108 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hang in there its a balancing act and if you are trying to not eat as much lets say sugar you will go through withdrawals....and maybe you need to eat more. You can do this and trust me the energy will come, listen to your body!!
  • Thatonegal
    Thatonegal Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the cells that store the fat in your body have also stored toxins you have come into contact with in the past. Some nasty poisons and toxins can sit in fat cells for years without any evidence of their presence and when you begin losing the weight you also have a release of toxins into your system. That might contribute to your feeling of unwellness.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Making big changes doesn't always start off pleasant. Make sure you are not being too restrictive, and that you are eating enough. If you are trying to lose bad habits, then that may make you grumpy at first. When I gave up soda years ago, I went 2 weeks being extremely irritable :). But now I drink none. Eventually,, the good will outweigh the bad! Hang in there. 8 pounds is a great start.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    8lbs is great!!!!!!!!!!! Now, i have to admit, 23lbs later (on top of the weight i lost before joining MFP, which was 39lbs) i still don't feel all that great, but that is because i made a realization recently that i drink way too much diet pepsi) I was always told to hang in there and that the feeling of greatness will come. I hope it will!!!!!!!!!!! Just keep working you will do it!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Bess_74
    Bess_74 Posts: 68
    Options
    How have you lost that 8 pounds?

Are you eating really different foods than you were? Are you coming off a soda/coffee/something habit?

Also, what was your last straw? Why are you doing this now?

I lost the weight by cutting out fast food, sugary snacks, eating regularly and watching my portions. I've been sticking to lean protiens, low or non-fat dairy, whole grain carbs, fresh or frozen fruits and veggies, and adding water (not typically a water drinker). I've dieted before and have eaten this way before, so not quite sure what the problem is.

I've been needing and wanting to do this for a while now, but it's difficult for me to diet when others in my home are not, however my boyfriend's dr has referred him to a nutiritionist (who referred us here) so I am doing it with him.
  • Bess_74
    Bess_74 Posts: 68
    Options
    Sometimes the cells that store the fat in your body have also stored toxins you have come into contact with in the past. Some nasty poisons and toxins can sit in fat cells for years without any evidence of their presence and when you begin losing the weight you also have a release of toxins into your system. That might contribute to your feeling of unwellness.

Good to know!!! Any tips on flushing out those nasty toxins quicker?