Blood Sugar testing?

Options
Hello I have been hypoglycemic since I was born, never really thought much of it, i just constantly ate and ate sugar to keep from crashing. Not the best idea ever but it worked til I had my gallbladder removed a year ago.
Yesterday my PCP told me that since I have been having symptoms more often since the surgery I needed to test my blood sugar levels 2 times a day, more if I have a crashing sensation.
I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to tell me when the best times of days are to start with?
I am NOT diabetic. I have hypoglycemia due to my metabolism being too fast.
I have been reading about nutrition and how to manage it and everything.
Just really need help figuring out when the best times of day are at least to start.

Thank you!

Replies

• margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Your doctor would be the person to talk with, along with a dietician to help with meal planning.

I am also hypoglycemic, my sugar will stay high then crash hard (pre adult onset) It has been trial and error in meal planning to what works best for *my* body. I test when I wake, and usually after a workout for post snacks. Some nights if I feel woozy, I'll test again and eat accordingly to my test results.

Hope it all works for you! Friend me if you'd like, my dairy is open and I post daily :)
  • Stephrenai23
    Options
    My doctor actually told me to do research and do it when I feel it's best or needed. and if after that I need help then see her.
  • LanaeCarol
    LanaeCarol Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am a prediabetic and my doctor has me testing twice a day - fasting in the morning and then 2 hours after I eat a meal. Usually I do it 2 hr after breakfast but occasionally crazy days have me taking it after lunch or dinner instead. Don't know if that works with what you have found out from your research, but it is working for me.
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I would think kind of like a diabetic would do. Fasting in the morning to see if you are dipping to low during the night/morning. Also my next guess would be before lunch.

WHen I was in insulin, my body would get a shock from the breakfast meal, then go up to it highest point during the day....then my body would release it's own insulin in an attempt to bring it down. Then I tended to bottom before lunch from the the typical overcompensation.

Thus I was usually like to be lowest at fasting and before lunch.

I would think it might depend on of you eat 3 or 6 meals a day too. I pray you figure it out as to what works best for you.
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    I have quite severe hypoglycemia (non-diabetic). I test whenever I feel low - I've really learned my symptoms. Pretty much every time I'm low it's the same thing - visual disturbances. I don't test as often anymore because I've pretty much learned my patterns from testing so often for some time. Before, I would test first thing in the morning to see how I did over night, and test before meals, 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours after eating, and before bed. Also before exercise and during when I feel low.

Doing all this testing and logging the numbers helped me learn my patterns and how I should eat. Now I only test before exercise and if I feel really low some other time during the day. But I'm pretty much down to testing two or three times a day.

Good luck!