Too Low

Options
I was wondering; is my goal weight too low? I'm a 5'8" 18 year old girl and my goal weight is 120 lbs. It's at the lower end of the range for a healthy weight for my height and age group, but I'm not sure. I've never weighed that little before. I do not want people to think i have an eating disorder. Please and thanks!

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I'd strongly say yes. I'm 120, and 4 inches shorter, and pretty small.
  • Kstar97
    Options
    But i actually have a really slim bone structure: what's the circumference of your wrist?
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm 120 right now and I'm 5'0 120 is way too low for 5'8
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    It depends a lot on your build.

If you are more fine boned and willowy, 120 might work at that height, but you might find a weight that you look and feel great at before you get there, and that's okay.
  • Kstar97
    Options
    I mean my best friend is the same height as me and she weighs 140 lbs and she has a wrist circumference of 5 inches, whereas I'm 20 lbs heavier and i have a wrist circumference of 3.5 in. I have a really thin frame.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    absolutely yes.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    there's more to frame size than just your wrist measurement.

120 is too low
  • mynameismita
    Options
    If you get there through healthy means and can maintain it in a sustainable, healthy manner I don't really see an issue. Don't forget that muscle is denser than fat though so even at a higher weight, you'll still look smaller. Focusing on fat Percentage and inches lost, is more productive than focusing on the scale.

I'm 5'6" and have a 4.8" wrist but at 108, I look around 120-125 because on top of my extra small frame, I'm skinny fat and untoned.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I mean my best friend is the same height as me and she weighs 140 lbs and she has a wrist circumference of 5 inches, whereas I'm 20 lbs heavier and i have a wrist circumference of 3.5 in. I have a really thin frame.

wrist circumference doesn't mean much. if you were meant to hang out at the low end of "healthy" I think you'd be nearer to there at the moment. I wouldn't fight your body--just aim for HEALTHY and let your body decide.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    It depends a lot on your build.

If you are more fine boned and willowy, 120 might work at that height, but you might find a weight that you look and feel great at before you get there, and that's okay.

I agree, totally depends on your body type. I am 5'4" and my goal is 120 and even that is a stretch for me (I think I weighed 120 at the beginning of high school). But, I have a medium/large bone structure. Just be careful because I don't really see why anyone would want to be at the bottom of the healthy weight range for their height... you are, in other words, going to be "borderline underweight." Being underweight is very unhealthy just like being overweight is!
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know the actual answer, sorry.

But, I agree with those that said it depends on the bone structure. And, I disagree with the others that are so quick to just throw an answer out there without thinking.

At 5'2", my ideal is 110 based on my structure. However, there is a woman in my office that is the same height and she is 95-100 lbs. She is not unhealthy, she just has a tiny frame.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Just get your body fat level down to a healthy level and see what weight you settle at naturally...and more importantly, healthily (is that a word)?
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I think it is too low

I am 5ft3 and was 126 last time I weighed in.
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Set it a little higher and if you still feel like you need to lose more adjust it? If you set it too low, you may get discouraged when you should be celebrating.
  • APBTChampion
    APBTChampion Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    120 is too low. Your BMI (body mass index) needs to be between 18.5-24.9, which for your height is: 122-164.

What I would suggest is aim for 140 to begin with, and decide at that point if you want to lose more weight. Chances are high that if you hit 120, you've lost almost all of your muscle mass and at which point you'll be fighting a yo-yo'ing weight because you won't have the capacity to keep the weight off.

Your best bet is to talk to your doctor and plan out a goal weight for you!
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Generally I think it depends on your frame. I'm 5'7 and I am aiming to get back to around 55kg (120-121 pounds?). That is a weight I stayed constant at for about 15 years with little effort until I sustained foot problems and had to stay off my feet 18 months ago. Before that I was around 52kg (about 115 poundish?) up until I had started having children. I am a fine boned 'willowy' (awesome description from an above poster ) build and it was not a problem to maintain.

I would see where you naturally level out at and see how hard that is to maintain. If it is constant work to maintain (more than just moderate healthy eating) then it would be too light. If you are not depriving yourself, eating good healthy food with a good amount of calories and maintain that 120 then it's a reasonable expectation.
  • GreyEyes21
    GreyEyes21 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    it depends on what your goals are. do you want to be thin or fit? if you want to be thin then depending on your frame 120 might be ok, but if you want to be fit I'd guess 130-135. Muscle mass makes a TON of a difference.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    My sister is 5'7-5'8 while in her teen years, she was always around the low 20's (120-125)

She ate anything, and she had never dieted. Fast metabolism, built that way. She was super slim, but she wasn't purposely trying to be sick skinny . She was fine, now she is around 130's and she is out of her teens. Shes always been thin, doesnt look unhealthy... but a lot tease her for lacking curves and being thin

It depends on the individual; if your body isn't naturally putting you there...don't diet your way down that low.

My goal weight is 120-130 lbs and I am 5'3.

I think tall people should have it higher, its a bit low of a goal for you
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Yes. 120lbs is too low for someone who is 5'8... unless you've got a really, really small frame I guess? In most cases though, I'd say it's safe to assume that's too low. Shoot for 125-130lbs at the very lowest... Focus more on what you see in the mirror rather than on a number on the scale. If you look good to yourself and feel good, the scale matters not. :heart:

And best of luck to you! :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    That probably is too low - but at this stage, I wouldn't worry about it.
    It's more important to get into good eating and exercise habits right now.

Once you start losing weight, I suggest that you stop to evaluate how you look and feel every now and again. You might find that you are looking and feeling great well before you get to that "goal". Don't feel that you HAVE to work towards a specific number. You might also find that your weight loss stalls out at 135 (or something) - and that may just be a really comfortably and healthy weight for your body.

So, what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't really matter - just get started with some good habits and be prepared to stick at whatever number feels good.