how often do you need to change running shoes

Options
i've had mine for six months due I need new pair

Replies

• RunnerD9000
    RunnerD9000 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    they say every 300-400 miles. also depends how hard on the shoes you are and what surface you run on etc, but if you run at least 15 miles a week its probably time.
  • PilotX
    PilotX Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    ive heard every six months im asking cause my knees are becoming sore now after runs
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I was told to change them out every 3-6 months of running and watch even on shoes I dont wear often that they break down as far as arch support even just sitting in the closet. It has helped a lot I was using custom arch supports and taping becuase of plantar fasicitis but by buying shoes more often I am pain free and back to not needing custom supports It is very important to make the investiment in your shoes
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It depends on the individual. Many people change them at around 400 miles. I don't change mine until they become unservicable. My current pair has around 1450 asphalt running miles on them.

If you're not having any physical problems and the shoes are not falling apart then you may not need to change them.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Depends on the shoe, but usually the range is every 300-500 miles. As soon as mine are almost dead my knees start hurting.
  • 2012Stoney
    Options
    right after I'm done running I usually change them.....:laugh:
  • PilotX
    PilotX Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It depends on the individual. Many people change them at around 400 miles. I don't change mine until they become unservicable. My current pair has around 1450 asphalt running miles on them.

If you're not having any physical problems and the shoes are not falling apart then you may not need to change them.

could it be the way i run as to why my knees are sore
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I can only get 400-450 miles out of mine - after than I feel like I am getting shin splints. I run out of two pairs (same exact model) at a time - I rotate each run.

Your mileage may vary...
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I'm not running any marathons, but I exercise a lot at the gym. I've found the lighter I've gotten the longer my shoes last. At first it was about 3 months. Last pair lasted nearly 6 months. I always know when it's time. My feet start to hurt. So, see how you're feet are feeling. When I get into the new pair it's like heaven for my feet.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

I'd LOVE to get 400 miles out of mine!! I get 250 miles and after that, I start feeling it in my knees, ankles and/or feet. 6 months isn't a bad estimate. But it depends more on the mileage than the days used.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Every 300-500 miles. Once you start having more pain after runs, that's usually a good sign it's time for a new pair. I just got new ones myself, after I realized my knees and feet were killing me after a short, four mile run. I had just shy of 400 on them, so I guess it was time...
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    could it be the way i run as to why my knees are sore
    Google "Good Form Running". My knee pains went away when I adopted that running form. Essentially you should avoid overstriding and plant your foot under your center of mass on each step. It reduces the impact forces to the bones and joints.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Depends on your mileage and wear outside of running. I wear mine about 250 miles and get a new pair for running and transition the older pair into walk about/fitness shoes...I do not my "active" running shoes for any other purpose than running...I am just too busy, tired and Old to deal with aches due to shoes. If you have no idea how many miles you run and/or you wear those same shoes to the store, the game, the fitness room, school etc I say you need new shoes.
  • nadine2unfit2bqueen
    nadine2unfit2bqueen Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Depends on the shoes. Barefoot shoes don't need to be replaced until they literally fall apart and are unwearable - thankyou merrell for being honest about this fact and not maintaining the "6 months" rule that would mean consumers spending more $

As for whether or not barefoot is for you, you just have to try it - but it could be worth it in the $ saved not buying shoes every 6 months or forking out for expensive arch supports and physio sessions. last year I developed runners knee and basically quit running. my physiotherapist said I needed to get custom arch supports ($400) and wear full support shoes (usually around $200). I didn't have the money, but then my sister gave me the book 'born to run'. Immediately after I bought my first pair of merrell barefoot shoes ($125). It meant going back to the beginning and learning how to run all over again; I was slower, couldn't run as far, my feet were really sore after each run and my calves had some muscle building to do, but according to merrells guides on barefoot running these were good feelings. They meant I could tell when I was pushing too much, and stop before I injured myself. Two months later I ran my first marathon in them, injury free and no sign of my previous runners knee. It's been 1 1/2 years and my shoes are finally dead and I haven't been back to physio since. Pretty good for $125. If you want more info on barefoot merrell has a lot - for free - on their website.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I started having knee issues a couple months ago - nothing in my running had changed, so I looked back at how long I'd had my shoes & how many miles I'd put on them. It had been about six months, so I got a new pair - no knee problems since then.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Depends on the shoes, usually 6 months for me.
  • gooellie
    Options
    If your knees hurt then YES!! if your body is telling you something listen to it!!
  • chappappy
    chappappy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Runner's World Magazine writes,

"Between 300 and 500 miles. Why the range? Because how quickly a shoe wears depends on you. If you land hard on your heels with each stride, for example, you're going to wear through shoes more quickly than more efficient runners. Go by feel. If after a normal run your legs feel as if the shoes aren't providing you adequate protection, they probably aren't. Give your legs a week to make sure it's really the shoes and you're not just tired. If the shoes still feel dead, replace them. We can tell you that the vast majority of runners replace their shoes too late. When you can see white midsole material poking through the outsole or when the sole under the heel looks crushed, the shoes are long past their prime."

Right off their web site.
  • cindybickler
    cindybickler Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i usually go about 300 to 350 miles on a pair of shoes. long runs start to bother my knees a little and as soon as i get new shoes the knee pain is gone. also my chiropractor when i was growing up told me not matter how cute and how clean my tennis shoes were after a year they are shot, throw them away, period.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I have 310 miles on my Saucony Mirages and they still seem pretty new to me!