Nothing seems to work =(

Options
Im 23, Femal, 163cm (5 foot 3) and 67kg (I think about 147 pounds?)
Apparenltly my basal metabolic rate is 1400 cal and my maintenance intake should be 2200 cal.
I have been eating 1500 cal or less.
I have a pretty busy job, on my feet around 8 hours a day, lifting boxes and what not. I work out almost every day usually between half an hour and 1 hour.

I've been 67kg for EVER =( Whether Im dieting, exercising or none of the above I weigh the same! No matter what I do I only fluctate by a kg or 2. This has been my most serious attempt yet, Im keeping a journal and measuring my weight and waist every sunday. I lost 1.2 kg the first week and 2 inches from my waist. I thought I was winning but its basically been the same since, shifting slightly every week.

What is wrong with me!?

Replies

• thescottishone
    thescottishone Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Not sure, sorry! but i am interested to hear what others say...
  • CGPrincessWarrior
    CGPrincessWarrior Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem for the past almost year. I lost 75 pounds then gained about 20 back and now I'm finally starting to get the 20 that i gained back off again. What has worked for me is switching up my workouts. I NEVER do the same workout twice in a row. I was getting so used to the same routine that I needed a shock to my system. Since doing that I have lost 4.6 pounds in the last 2 weeks which is huge for me considering most weeks I have a gain. So maybe your body has just gotten used to your routine and you need to shake it up a bit and do something different. It has worked for me and I'm 65 pounds down again and going down some more. Good luck!
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    You say it's shifting slightly every week is that down? It has taken me since about May/June to shift 4kg out of the 10kg I want to lose (about 1kg a month) I started MFP at 147 pounds too, sometimes if you don't have much to lose it just comes off really slowly (especially if you've been the same weight for a while), but it soon adds up. However I do tend to cheat a bit on weekends too even though I'm really good during the week. And I think my weight loss has started to speed up as I think the progress I've made from working out has boosted my metabolism.

For me I've just decided to take the long term view, hoping to hit goal by xmas and if not at least my wedding in March, slow and steady wins the race, you'll get there as frustrating and slow as it is now, just keep at it. :)
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Apparently my basal metabolic rate is 1400 cal and my maintenance intake should be 2200 cal.
    What is wrong with me!?

MFP is predicated on the fact that calorie deficits produce weight loss and what you just described is a deficit. You should see a doctor.
  • Tracy_03311981
    Options
    You want to open up your diary so we can take a look?
  • almaavila
    Options
    Strength training worked for me, im 23yrs old 5'2 and im 130lbs, I was stuck at 135lbs for the longest i would do 35-45 minutes of cardio on the treadmill 5x a week and i wouldn't lose a pound, until i started Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and I've seen results, I still do cardio excersises for 30 minutes 5 times a week. Hope this helps :smile:
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    What do you eat? I feel what you eat is really more important than just calories. I think if you're eating a lot of processed, nutrient deficient foods, your body will be starving for nutrients, and your body will want you to eat more food, in an attempt to get the nutrients your body needs. I did this for most of my life, and became morbidly obese, and ruined my health.
    Now I eat for nutrition, I'm loosing weight, and my body is healing itself...
    Good luck in your journey...
  • nkozyra
    nkozyra Posts: 10
    Options
    You're eating too many calories.

Think of BMR calculators and maintenance calculators as rough estimates. Everyone is different. I wouldn't go see a doctor because there isn't a physiological condition that will let you violate the laws of thermodynamics.

There is only one guaranteed weight loss strategy and that is to burn more calories than you consume. If you're truly consuming only 1500 calories a day (and I find that most people underestimate calories), then your maintenance calculator and likely BMR calculators were way off.

Eat less or do more.

Also, how long have you been stuck? If we're talking 1 or 2 weeks, too many thinks like sodium + water retention can play a factor.
  • nkozyra
    nkozyra Posts: 10
    Options
    Strength training worked for me, im 23yrs old 5'2 and im 130lbs, I was stuck at 135lbs for the longest i would do 35-45 minutes of cardio on the treadmill 5x a week and i wouldn't lose a pound, until i started Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and I've seen results, I still do cardio excersises for 30 minutes 5 times a week. Hope this helps :smile:

What you describe here is pretty important from a metabolic standpoint.

Someone who is 150 lbs at 30% bf has a much lower BMR and maintenance level than someone who is 150 lbs at 20% bf.

It is always beneficial to have more lean body mass.
  • Alr080389
    Alr080389 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am about the same as you. 149lb and 5'5" tall. I never seem to lose weight (in numbers on the scale) but I am losing inches easily. I do at least a half hr of cardio everyday and then some strength training or vigorous sit-ups. Many people do Jillian Michael's 30 day shred. It is helpful but I hate doing the same thing over and over so I took her routine and tweaked it to do without the video.

Good luck!
  • cassnessxox
    Options
    I do a different work out almost every day. I have a yoga workout, pilates workout, yogalates workout and a cardio workout. If anything I need more routine because I can never decide which to do lol.

I am on a diet plan kind of thing. Its called Lite n Easy, its an Australian weight loss program. You order your meals and they are delievered once a week. Im on the 1500 calorie plan and eat nothing else so if anything Im eating less than 1500. I am hungry all the time so I couldn't eat less. I started on the 1200 cal plan but couldn't deal with the constant hunger. I just used your standard calculators online, they varied slightly but there were all around the same.

I have been this weight for years, since before I started trying to eat healthy or lose weight or even exercise. It doesn't slowly go down, it goes up and down all the time, averaging out at 67kg.
  • cassnessxox
    Options
    Oh and I don't have a diary online, I keep a journal on paper but I don't use this website much besides the forums. I can't count calories, it will make me insane and I am obsessing enough already.

I usually eat cereal for breakfast but have just switched to eggs on toast to keep my full longer. On Lite n Easy I choose my own breakfast and then I have 3 snacks for throughout the day. They vary from apples, corn chips, popcorn, nut and fruit mixes, greek yogurts etc. Lunch varies from salad and chicken wraps, Rissoles and coleslaw, Asian meatballs in rice. There are like 70 or so dinners to choose from.

Today I ate 2 eggs on toast, an apple, flatbread and tomato kasundi dip, Chicken alfredo, apple and banana bread and roast chicken for dinner.
  • bwdcjk
    bwdcjk Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    How many weeks overall have you been at it? My friend was so frustrated when she only lost 6 lbs in the first 6 weeks but she has lost nearly 4 times that now (sorry not sure how may weeks for her total). I myself lost 16 lbs in the first 3 months and then doubled that in the next 2 months. So my advice is always to just stay at it - it will happen. =)
  • cassnessxox
    Options
    I have been trying to lose weight on and off for 2 to 3 years. I always give up because nothing happens whether its after a few weeks or a few months of trying. This is my most serious attempt and Im only in the middle of week two but I just don't see any improvement and never have.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    You've only been doing it 2 weeks, give it time, the first 3 or 4 pounds you lost is a big fluctuation so you're body will be reeling from that the second week so i'm not suprised you haven't lost if you are not overweight then don't expect to lose more than a pound or 0.5kg a week, after a month or so your body should get used to the weight loss routine and you will lose much more steadily and consistently.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Im 23, Femal, 163cm (5 foot 3) and 67kg (I think about 147 pounds?)
    Apparenltly my basal metabolic rate is 1400 cal and my maintenance intake should be 2200 cal.
    What is wrong with me!?
    You aren't eating enough. Look for the thread "In Place of a Road Map" and read the OP. Don't worry about the pages of comments.

Start eating more, and you'll get results.
  • cassnessxox
    Options
    Ahhh eating too much or not eating enough? =( Its hopeless
  • Oaeneo
    Oaeneo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Try a keto diet for a couple months. I had the same problem. It seemed like no matter what I did or ate my weight stayed pretty consistent. I even had my thyroid checked for problems. I am 5'6 and I was at 180lbs. Eating a keto diet has helped me shed 25 lbs in a few months with very little exercise. I do light cardio once a week and light strength training a couple times a week. I have more energy than I have ever had. I know this lifestyle doesn't work for everyone but It has worked very well for me. It is the easiest dietary change I have ever made. Good luck and don't give up.
  • got2tryagain
    Options
    Oh and I don't have a diary online, I keep a journal on paper but I don't use this website much besides the forums. I can't count calories, it will make me insane and I am obsessing enough already.
    How do you know what you are taking in if you don't keep up with calories?
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    You're eating too many calories.

No. Just no.

She said she's EATING 1500 calories. Eating 1500 + being on her feet all day + exercising for half an hour to an hour a day = huge calorie deficit. She absolutely does not need to eat even LESS. If anything I'd suggest eating more, but at this stage it's too early to tell.

OP, I agree with others: see a doctor. It could be a thyroid problem or other underlying issue. Don't give up, you can do this! Everyone is different and you just have to find out what works for you.

ETA: Check out this topic, very helpful: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12