Tips

Options
I'd love tips to weight loss if you have ANY!

I'm hoping to lose 60-70 lbs over the next year for my wedding! Is it possible?!

Replies

• mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    Yes it is possible... but it will be a lot of hard work.

Advice for MFP newbies:

1. If you don’t already have one, buy a wok.
    Stir fry is quick, easy, filling, and yummy!!!!
    2. If you don’t already have one, buy a food scale.
    You might be surprise at how much (or little) something really weighs.
    3. If you haven’t already done so, take before pictures.
    You will want them when you lose your weight.
    4. If you haven’t already done so, take your measurements (neck, chest, hips, waist).
    You will hit a plateau (not if, but when) and when you do, you will be happy to see your measurements go down, even if your weight doesn’t.
    5. Make sure you eat all your allotted calories. Failure to do so could send you into starvation mode, and you will not lose weight.
    You will see debate regarding exercise calories… my suggestion is that it depends on the person. But always eat at least as many calories as your BMR.
    6. Make sure you drink plenty of water.
    It flushes your system
    7. Make sure you exercise.
    I bet you didn’t get here because you exercised too much.
    8. If you don’t have one, get a heart rate monitor.
    Make sure it has a chest strap, and make sure it records calories burned. You will find that exercise machines are inaccurate, and the calorie numbers given in the exercise diary are just guesses for somebody else’s body.
    9. Don’t give up… if you feel like you haven’t lost any weight, check your measurements and look at your before pictures.
    If you are still discouraged, get some support here at MFP!!!
  • BarbH1
    Options
    The one thing that keeps me in line is to pre-plan my meals and calculate them in ahead of time. Then I know how many calories I am dealing with and can make adjustments...before I eat them.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options

Advice for MFP newbies:

4. If you haven’t already done so, take your measurements (neck, chest, hips, waist).
    You will hit a plateau (not if, but when) and when you do, you will be happy to see your measurements go down, even if your weight doesn’t.
    5. Make sure you eat all your allotted calories. Failure to do so could send you into starvation mode, and you will not lose weight.
    You will see debate regarding exercise calories… my suggestion is that it depends on the person. But always eat at least as many calories as your BMR.
    It flushes your system
    Make sure it has a chest strap, and make sure it records calories burned. You will find that exercise machines are inaccurate, and the calorie numbers given in the exercise diary are just guesses for somebody else’s body.
    9. Don’t give up… if you feel like you haven’t lost any weight, check your measurements and look at your before pictures.

AWESOME TIPS!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Eat less
    Move more
    batter dipper & deep fried = POISON. :smile:

Here's my welcome aboard post:

This is easy - here's all ya' gotta do:

Cook smart, lotsa good filling stuff. Some fruits, lotsa veggies, some grains-cereals, some starchy stuff, some lean meat. Almost nothing fried (and certainly nothing batter dipped & deep fried), and very very little pastry/cakey stuff.

Count your calories accurately with the food guide here, and stay as close to your calorie allowance as you reasonably can. If you cook properly you shouldn't be too uncomfortable on the calorie allowance MFP will give you.

Get some exercise - work that gym, walk a little every day, something - that's a huge help. Remember to log your exercise and eat at least some (I eat most) of your exercise calories. Exercise is a self-feeding phenomenon. If you push yourself to do just a little today (it's supposed to be hard,,, it's exercise ) then you'll feel better about it and it'll be easier to do it again tomorrow. Then in a week you'll be able to do more, and it'll start to get fun. In a year you might be running 10k's,,, it's up to you.

And drink your water!

That's it, piece o' cake. Wife and I have been doing it for about a year now and we've done well. Lost about 130 pounds between us, and we're in much better shape.""

Piece of cake, you can do it.
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Hey Mish...

I know you can do this and you know you can do this too.

Really and truely stay focused. I know how easy it is to deviate and sneak in a few more bites and nibbles of food but it all counts (and usually wayyyy more than you think). Be realistic with your calories, don't set it at something insane because if it's not halfway easy to stick to, you're going to suffer and cheat. Work out how many calories it would take each day to MAINTAIN your current weight. I did this and it's 2700 calories!!! Half that and I'm good. There's an awesome bunch of alternatives that you can eat to stay satisfied but still feel like you're having treats. It's the sensible choices that will count. Drink boatloads of water. Not only will it fill you up but it really energises you, cleanses you and makes you feel fabulous. Gum is good for cravings. Zero cal jello and or low cal yoghurt/pudding snacks for suagr cravings. Remember portion sizes and salads can help.

I try and remain accountable to several different people. Everyone here is hugely supportive of one another and you'll always find answers to questions and great recipes.

I know you're gonna be a stunning bride and I will totally (hopefully) be there to enjoy the day with you.

Hugs xxxx
  • MichelleyTX
    Options
    Thank you for those tips Vee!
  • Schula03
    Schula03 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Advice for MFP newbies:

It flushes your system

AWESOME TIPS!

AwesomE and NICE!!!! :flowerforyou: