I thought I was going to die......

Options
What happened to me today scared me horribly. First Im not writing this as a judgment on anyone who chooses to use diet pills. I have been taking a prescription diet pill called Phentermine, generic for Addipex for about a month now. Well, I was almost out and didnt want to pay for more. So, I bought Hydroxicut Hardcore from over the counter. After about 30 minutes, I felt like I was gonna stroke out and die or something! Ive never felt anything like it before. Scared me so badly. For hours afterwards I broke out in a constant cold sweat, racing pulse, nausea, heart pounding, shaking and feeling faint! If I had insurance I would have gone to the emergency room. But I still came like one second away from calling an ambulance, but I had FINALLY at least stopped sweating, so hard headed me didnt go. I still feel nauseated and heart pounding some even 8 hrs later. I also had side effects from Phentermine. Just a note, I did not take Phentermine and Hydroxicut together. I cant even imagine that! So, I have flushed the pills and sworn off any diet pills forever!! Im choosing to do this the natural way. I may fail, but I'd rather be alive fat or skinny than dead. Im not saying diet pills would kill me, but for me, it's NOT worth it or the possible harm they might do to my heart!
I just feel in my heart that I need to share my story. Or maybe that's just my heart racing :). But seriously, be careful. Peace.

Replies

• issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Hi Sandy,
    I'm so sorry you had such a scary episode and admire you for posting about it. I hope others will heed the warning, I certainly will. If something like that happens again please go to the emergency room, insurance or not, we don't want to lose you. Let me just add--instead of flushing medications you can take them for proper disposal at most pharmacies, so they don't get in our water supply. :smile:
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Leave the chemicals alone. You did the right thing by flushing that crap in the toilet. Just be patient, and diet and exercise.
  • gregb8924
    gregb8924 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The same situation happened to me, after the gym my vision was going blurry my body felt hot and shaky. how many hydroxicut did you take? When it happened to me i was taking one three times a day with meals and one before a workout, then i bumped myself up to two and and had one before a work out right after having the new dose (going from 1 pill to 3 in essence) i think it was just a big shock to the system. so i dialed it back down about, i feel for you though it sure was scary. glad that you came out of it ok
  • shaunaruiz
    shaunaruiz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had a similar thing happen to me about 10 years ago when I took xenadrine. Only took 1 pill and never took anything again after that. What may have happened to you was that the other was probably still in your system and what you took interacted with what little was left over. Some things take a few days to get flushed out.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Diet pills scare me too! I hope you are okay. :\
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Thx guys for ur concern. I still feel horrible. I cant believe I had such a horrible reaction. I thought my body was super adapted to caffeine.
  • Sandytoes71
    Options
    The same situation happened to me, after the gym my vision was going blurry my body felt hot and shaky. how many hydroxicut did you take? When it happened to me i was taking one three times a day with meals and one before a workout, then i bumped myself up to two and and had one before a work out right after having the new dose (going from 1 pill to 3 in essence) i think it was just a big shock to the system. so i dialed it back down about, i feel for you though it sure was scary. glad that you came out of it ok

Please be careful. Thx for telling of your experience.
  • Sandytoes71
    Options
    I had a similar thing happen to me about 10 years ago when I took xenadrine. Only took 1 pill and never took anything again after that. What may have happened to you was that the other was probably still in your system and what you took interacted with what little was left over. Some things take a few days to get flushed out.

I remember taking xenadrine when ephedra was in it. I pray this feeling doesnt last past tonight. I should have done research on it before taking it. But research or not, I won't be taking any kind ever again :)
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    wow.. the only diet pill ive even considered taking.. and not even really a 'diet pill' cuz its a coffee bean! lol is the pure green coffee bean pills (seen on dr oz) all natural
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Glad you are ok.
    How many did you taKe?Are you on any other medications?aallergic to anyrhing> do you think it was a panic attack?
    best to diet without pills as when you dont have them you would probably end up gaining weight.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Diet pills often contain stimulants and therefore can trigger panic attacks which cause the symptoms you speak of. As a veteran of panic attacks, I wouldn't touch a diet pill with a ten foot pole. Pointless things, better to do things the sensible and sustainable healthy way.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Drink lots of extra water for a few days. And like someone else said, flushing medications is
    no longer recommended. They do get into our water supplies. Most pharmacies accept unused medications
    for proper disposal.
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Really glad you're going to be ok. I had one experience with diet pills years ago, seemed to have a reaction to other drugs I'm on perhaps (thyroid meds). I went through everything you described PLUS I honestly felt insane. I felt I was losing my mind. Never again. I'm eating right, exercising, counting calories, and doing everything the 'hard way', although once you get into it it really isn't that hard at all. 27 kilos down, quite a bit more to go, but I'll get there, and so will you. Thank you for sharing :heart:
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Panic attack. The stimulants cause adrenaline to be released. Your brain could not release enough serotonin to counter it.

I did a bunch of blow one night. Same thing happened to me. I had panic attacks for a year afterward.
  • Sandytoes71
    Options
    Seriously?!! Omg, I had no idea it could cause a panic attack!:(( But im nauseated too. Is that common with panic attacks? Can a panic attack last many hours? I still dont feel well. Should I take a xanax? I wonder if a xanax will help?? I WANT this feeling to GO AWAY!!
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You probably shouldn't take any more meds........ :/
  • Sandytoes71
    Options
    You probably shouldn't take any more meds........ :/

Yes u r probably right. If I still feel yuck in the morning, im calling a dr.
  • glahlstedt
    glahlstedt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Totally with u on your opinion of chemicals! Do it the all natural way!!
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience with hydroxycut last year! I had been taking them for a month already, 2 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon, but all of the sudden I had the sweats and racing heart the whole day and all night, so I never took them again. I wonder if the potency in each pill can vary. Interesting that someone mentioned panic attacks, because it was just like that now that I think about it (I had 2 panic attacks during my 2nd pregnancy caused by the hormones). It helps if you know you ARE having a panic attack, because you can make yourself feel a lot better but just laying down, listening to relaxing music, and focusing on breathing and calming down.
  • Sandytoes71
    Options
    Thank u all so much for being here for me, (a total stranger) to some!