Easy to put it on, Hard to lose it.

Options
Sleep schedule has been weird due to my husbands odd hrs. Get an average of 6 hrs or less of tossing and turning. Unfortunately when I'm tired I'm hungry, and when I eat more than my goal I gain. Wish it was easier to lose the weight than gain it. Anyone have suggestions on appetite suppressants or good natural "sleep helpers".

Replies

• bassett8807
    bassett8807 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I take Meletonin, it helps a lot but doesn't put you to sleep or keep you asleep. It just helps calm the mind.
  • JraeL91
    JraeL91 Posts: 38
    Options
    nice, thanks.
  • LeeLee0415
    Options
    I buy a sleep aid tea. Also extreme excercising or a long walk should help get you to feel tired.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    love melatonin for sleep! Or taking a Benedryl might help you because antihistimine makes many people sleepy (its the active ingredient in Tylenol PM without the Tylenol). Both work like a charm for me.
  • caribirdie
    caribirdie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Melatonin, for sure. I used to have huge problems trying to sleep- ever, but a friend recommended it to me last year and it's worked like a charm! It takes all those crazy, worried, thoughts that fly around your head and puts them straight to sleep :)
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I get MAYBE 4-6 hours a night except for weekends, it's usually 2 hours in the morning sometimes, and 3-4 in the evening before I got to work (work 3rd shift).

Make sure you have the TIME to sleep before taking anything...they are all meant for minimum of 7-8 hours of sleep. It's why I can't take anything if I can't sleep and just suffer through 2 hours sometimes.
  • 50kgtoofat
    50kgtoofat Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Regarding the sleep issue, try sleeping in separate beds if he is working late. I find that when we do that I sleep through uninterrupted and I don't wake him when I am ready to get up.
  • Hogscliffe
    Hogscliffe Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi natural and non adicitve is valarian, it is a herb and has been used for centuries,its usually sold as tablets, great to aid sleep and relax and try camomile tea if you can get the flower heads and strain the tea bags are ok but the actual flower heads taste so much better, Neals yard sell in the UK or Amazon UK and USA. Silicone ear plugs are great too not just for noise but just for being disurbed. Good luck :)
  • SparkleHorse224
    SparkleHorse224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I didn't know this until recently - you're hungry when you're tired because your body is trying to get energy. So it wants you to eat something to give yourself an energy boost.

I do a couple of things - I have a bedtime routine so that my body knows "Hey, time for sleeping!" Some things that help:

- A hot shower (I can't remember why this works...there is some science to it. Something about starting the cooling down process)
    - I listen to meditation/relaxation podcasts on my iPod before/in bed
    - Herbal teas with a little honey
    - No TV or exercise at least an hour before bed
    - I use a Bucky 40 blinks eye mask so that it's super-dark. Took a week of getting used to it but I love it now.
    - Lavender candle in the bedroom
  • tenkesh
    tenkesh Posts: 81
    Options
    I didn't know this until recently - you're hungry when you're tired because your body is trying to get energy. So it wants you to eat something to give yourself an energy boost.

I do a couple of things - I have a bedtime routine so that my body knows "Hey, time for sleeping!" Some things that help:

- A hot shower (I can't remember why this works...there is some science to it. Something about starting the cooling down process)
    - I use a Bucky 40 blinks eye mask so that it's super-dark. Took a week of getting used to it but I love it now.

By god that's a long ritual. Mine is usually:
    - jump in the bed
    - play Family Guy or American Dad on laptop
    - sleep in like 5 minutes
  • SparkleHorse224
    SparkleHorse224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

By god that's a long ritual. Mine is usually:
    - jump in the bed
    - play Family Guy or American Dad on laptop
    - sleep in like 5 minutes

I don't do all the things every night. When I say I have a ritual I mean, An hour before bed I begin to consciously wind down. No TV, dim the lights. A shower if I feel like it. Candle if I feel like it. Podcast if I feel like it. The important thing is to signal to your body that it's time to go to bed.

And there's a ton of research that says watching TV/playing video games/etc before bed is a great way to not be sleepy.
  • eidc
    eidc Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Someone at work was saying that Dr. Oz did a thing on melatonin and it is not a good thing to take. Wish I could remember the reasons why. Do some research. Melatonin didn't do a thing for me!
  • JraeL91
    JraeL91 Posts: 38
    Options
    Melatonin definitely helped my mind become at ease, but didn't help me sleep or stay asleep... as you said, going to buy some teas and see which one of those work out best. Thanks everyone for your suggestions, going to try them all to see which works out best. Thanks again.