So... Rent question!

Options
Kay so, I'm currently paying rent to my parents, who in turn are paying rent to the council. Question is, since the house isn't owned by them, are my rent payments giving me any tenant rights?

Should probably add, England here.. so keep your american laws to yerself :D

Replies

• sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    do you have a rent book?
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm not a solicitor, but I wouldn't have thought so - the tenancy agreement will be between your parents and the council, and the tenancy rights therefore with them
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    First I'd check if your parents have the right to sub-let. If not, you're just volunteering money towards bills. Either way if your name and signature aren't on any tenancy agreement, you are not supported by any of its terms.
  • Leamac83
    Leamac83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Technically no. Your parents have the tenancy agreement and i would assume if they rent from the council they arent actually allowed to sublet to you.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    When I was sharing a place with someone else, the supervisor of the building we were in said that the main signature on the lease was the one renting the apartment, and I was renting my room off of the main signer.

I don't see why it wouldn't give you tenant rights, but I believe the only place you will find the proper answer to that would be with Google or your phone.

Add: Are you asking if you don't have to pay any of the rent? I'd say no, but if you initially agreed to do so, to help your parents, it would be very unwise to refuse to pay, especially if you have an income.
  • bradzila
    bradzila Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sorry pal, you have very little rights as your parents still live there you are NOT a sub-tenant (they are not sub-letting), but a lodger, the agreement you have in kinda between you are your parents.
  • ReesesPuffs
    Options
    First I'd check if your parents have the right to sub-let. If not, you're just volunteering money towards bills. Either way if your name and signature aren't on any tenancy agreement, you are not supported by any of its terms.

There is such a thing as a verbal tenancy agreement so as long as i have proof that I provide money i would normally be okay (If i read that right), but you're right. I'm not sure they have the ability to sub-let.

They should teach this **** in schools, honestly xD
  • jeronimo1976
    jeronimo1976 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No, your arrangement is not considered to be a commercial tenancy as your landlord is effectivekly your close relative (parents) and they are resident in the same property. You would be considered a non-dependant adult living in the same property.
  • bradzila
    Options
    google, EXCLUDED OCCUPIER, this is exactly what you are
  • ReesesPuffs
    Options

Add: Are you asking if you don't have to pay any of the rent? I'd say no, but if you initially agreed to do so, to help your parents, it would be very unwise to refuse to pay, especially if you have an income.

No-no, I'm fine with paying the parents. I'm just asking if that payment gives me any legal right should they decide i can't live there anymore. Thanks for the help, all.
  • bradzila
    Options
    http://www.sheltercymru.org.uk/get/advice-display.aspx?Parentid=2&table=3&pageid=221&subcat=54

Im pretty sure you have hardly any rights, if they ask you to leave, you have to, they dont need a court order, or written letter (they can tell you verbally to leave) and off you go :(, better not fall out with your parents
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    As posted previously you would be classed as an excluded occupier and as such do not have the same rights as tenants who have a full property to themselves.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/renting_and_leasehold/private_tenancies/excluded_occupiers

If you are having issues with your parents then it's probably best to talk it over child to parent, not tenant to landlord.