Plateau... suggestions please!!!!

Options
My frustration level is very high right now. I have plateaued and can't seem to break it. I have increased my exercise added a few machines at the gym, and, according to my fitbit, increased my steps and overall activity level. I have added a few fruits and veggies to my diet, which I previously didn't really eat any of. I was doing so well and I don't want to get discouraged and give up but every week when I get on the scale it doesn't move I just get more and more aggravated. I have been at this weight for almost a month now... give or take a few ounces... My birthday is just 12 days away and all I want is to break this plateau!!! Please help me!!

Replies

• TheArbucks
    Options
    How long has the plateau been?
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I posted what follows just four days ago. I hope it is helpful for you:

According to Wikipedia, "the Doldrums" is a colloquial expression derived from historical maritime usage for those parts of the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean affected by the Intertropical Convergence Zone, a low-pressure area around the equator where the prevailing winds are calm. The Doldrums are noted for calm periods when the winds disappear altogether, trapping sail-powered boats for periods of days or weeks.

The great seafaring explorers of the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries would time the beginning of their voyages to coincide with favorable winds. However, due to meterological limitations of the day, no one could predict when or whether those winds would "die down" and leave great sailing ships foundering for days and weeks at a time. Sometimes, the Doldrums would provoke a crew to mutiny, or even group madness.

We, who are trying to improve our health through weight loss and fitness, know our very own version of the Doldrums. At the beginning of our weight loss journey, we have great determination, drive and enthusiasm. Most times, this is met with extraordinary results on the scale. For those of us with 100, 200 or even 300 pounds to lose, first week(s) losses of 5, 10, 15 or even 20 pounds are common. The first month or two of the journey tends to bring consistent rewards in the form of weight loss in the 3-5 pound per week range. Our spirits are buoyed by these successes, and the rapid descent of numbers on our respective scales.

And then, for "no reason," it happens. Days, weeks and even months pass when the scale barely budges a smidgy. This happens even though we know that we are eating within our calories and exercising faithfully. We look to the message boards for inspiration... to "jump start" our weight loss toward regular 3, 4 or even 5 pound per week losses once more. The drive to receive validation from the scale becomes just as maddening to us as the days and weeks trapped in the Doldrums did to sailors of yesteryear.

The trick is to remember that FAT loss is NOT the same as WEIGHT loss. The scale only measures weight loss. Not fat loss. Thus, in a week when your body has lost 3 pounds of fat, but gained 4 pounds of water or other non-fat substances due to sodium intake, fiber intake, exercise muscle repair, muscle gain, bowel habits, or time of the month, the scale will mask our 3 pound fat loss by revealing a 1 pound weight gain. Repeat this over 3-4 weeks or 3-4 months and you have a perfect recipe for Doldrums-inflicted madness and the potential for a junk food mutiny.

The purpose of this post is NOT to provide answers to the weight loss Doldrums. There are literally hundreds of posts spread out throughout MFP that perform that function. Some are grounded in sound science. Others are total nonsense and rubbish. Your task, on here, as in real life, is to sort out the information from the misinformation and do what is right for you.

In conclusion, I leave you with the words of Albert Einstein, who said, "You never fail until you stop trying." Sailors trapped in the Doldrums who tired of being patient often ended up dying in mutinies or committing suicide due to madness. The patient ones waited until atmospheric conditions changed and the winds once again filled their sails.

My wish for all of you is the patience and wisdom to wait out those times when the scale is unkind to you. I wish you the knowledge that if you are doing what you need to do to help yourselves, eventually, your fat loss sails will billow from a delightful and refreshing wind at your back once more.

Have a wonderful rest of your Monday.

Scott R. in Houston, Tx.
  • lilteepot
    Options
    What exactly is your goal every day? Your calorie intake seems to be all over the place. Figure out your basal and tdee. Eat slightly below them. You'll lose.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Instead of more exercises, add more weight! Strength training is a good way to drop fat - but you may not see it on the scale. Plateau as in how? Not losing weight? Not getting stronger?
  • stuntpilot51
    stuntpilot51 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ramp up the calories.
    I hit the plateau about the same as you, it lasted about 6 weeks.
    After increasing my calories the weight started coming off again.
    I went from 198 to 179 in the past 8 weeks.
    I've blown thru my goal and now I'm trying to maintain or gain a couple of pounds.

And like I tell everyone read the roadmap that Dan has posted.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • triinityz
    triinityz Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Seems a lot of times it's because people are not eating enough. Search in the forums for "in place of a road map" Dan has a lot of good information.

I've also been stuck for almost 10 weeks and I share your frustration, but hey, at least we aren't gaining weight!!! Just keep going and eventually you'll break it.
  • triinityz
    triinityz Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Ramp up the calories.
    I hit the plateau about the same as you, it lasted about 6 weeks.
    After increasing my calories the weight started coming off again.
    I went from 198 to 179 in the past 8 weeks.
    I've blown thru my goal and now I'm trying to maintain or gain a couple of pounds.

And like I tell everyone read the roadmap that Dan has posted.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

LOL I swear this wasn't there when I started typing, beat me to it!
  • stuntpilot51
    stuntpilot51 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    HAHA!! It probably wasn't. I had to edit a couple of times to get to the start of his thread
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Lol all of you beat me to posting the road map.....
    =D

Up your calories to TDEE for 2 weeks then lower them to about 15-20% below for fat loss.
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    So the first thing I see when I open your diary is something which points to you having butter, but not having measured it exactly.

Sorry if it seems like I'm picking apart your diary, but you were asking for suggestions, so let me criticize what I see first:

What's 1 serving of Horsey Sauce - is it an exact amount? Side - onion rings - 1 ring - how do you know the size of the onion ring of the person who put it in the database? Generic lamb chop - 1 chop - lamb chops vary wildly in size, again not an accurate measurement. Ham and pasta salad - 1.5 cup - did you squash it into the cup or put in loosely into the cup or think it's the amount that would fit in a cup? Grapes - 1.5 cup. Breaded chicken cutlet - 0.4 of a cutlet? Cinnamin toast crunch serial - 1 cup ("about 31 grams!!!").

And then my favourite - 1/3 cup of cheese!!!

I went on a bit of a rant yesterday about people weighing vs measuring their food: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/766769-weighing-vs-measuring-food

This amazing video was posted which proves my point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

As I say in that post - your approach of measuring a 1/3 of a cup of cheese may have brought you this far, but as you progress in losing weight, you also start needing less and less calories to lose weight. So the extra 100 calories from the 20g of incorrectly estimated cheese may not have meant too much when you were burning a lot more weight from the weight you were carrying around before, it now starts making a big different.

Be more accurate in your measurements by weighing food rather than using cup measurements (unless it's a liquid!)
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posters who encouraged upping the calories. There is a lot of great information on this site about plateaus. When you are in the message boards, click on the search button and type plateau. It's sifting through all the information. I would try upping calories and making sure you are drinking plenty of water.

Good luck.
  • emilym_3
    Options
    Peanut Butter! Good fats can help kickstart you again.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Since you have a fitbit, it's rather simple. Go into your logs and look at your week and see how many calories you burn on average. Cut 20% from that number and that is what you should eat every day. Then change your macro's to 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. You are very carb heavy which will cause you to carry more water weight. Also, high protein diets are much more effective. Next if you haven't started weight training, then you should. It's also better than cardio for cutting fat.
  • Marche334
    Marche334 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am new to the network an I am working hard to lose weight an tone up! I am stuck at a plateau an it sucks!
    Any suggestions are welcomed...
  • Marche334
    Options
    My plateau has been for about 5 months now I have not gained or lost any weight! I have amped up my exercise regiment drastically. SOme may call me a bit of a exercise fanatic! But it doesn't help my food intake has dropped as well. i don't know what to do.. I have read great suggestions thus far though..
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    You calories are all over the place.... some days you don't eat enough and others you eat too much. Most days you didn't log water.... are you drinking water or not? Your sodium is crazy, there are many treats (cut these back, not necessarily out), eat enough every day, skipping breakfast won't help you either or having a cookie as your only breakfast.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    As was suggested, eat more calories to break your plateau.. You said you added a few extra fruit and veggies, whats that like 80 calories? That 1200 calorie amount isn't enough, time to figure out your TDEE and eat at a cut from that.. and was suggested eat at TDEE for a week or 2 then cut..

Marche334, same applies to you, you increased your exercise but cut back on eating.. you might want to try cutting back on exercise and eating more, you will probably enjoy it more than what your doing now.
  • Marche334
    Options
    Thank you all.. I will try the advice i also read Dan's Roadmap so I am on it once again!!
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    A month isn't necessarily a plateau......
    What were your bf% a month ago compared to now?
    How about measurements? Any changes there? I would be hesitant to offer you my opinion on changes until i know the answers to the above questions.
    I was at the same weight for over a month, but i lost body fat, gained lean mass and dropped a little size on my waist. Definitely Wouldn't call that a plateau.