Protein supplements for girls

Options
Do any girls here use protein bars or milkshakes? Are they good for losing weight with exercise?
xx

Replies

• FungusTrooper
    FungusTrooper Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Protein repairs muscles that you damage during workouts. Protein doesn't help you lose weight, a calorie deficit (burning more calories than you consume) is what causes humans to lose weight.

Protein supplements are useful for those wanting to build muscle that do not consume enough natural proteins during the day.

There are no supplements for girls, they are unisex.
  • Prestissima
    Prestissima Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder (multipower formula 80) and mix it with nonfat milk or water. Don't know about losing weight but it's the best meal replacing I've ever found. :)
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I use protein supplements, Mostly milkshakes. I find they are very filling and I mainly have them as I can't get enough protein in my diet mainly because I don't eat much meat or protein rich foods. I try my best without the shakes but as I LOVE milkshakes anyway it kind of keeps me away from the bad ones :-)
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Quest bars- apple pie - YUM! and Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard - White Chocolate ( but dont ever get the whitechocolate it sucks >:( ) ^^.. and idk about losing weight. they do help build muscle in turn helps burn fat.
  • Carbcounteronly
    Options
    For sure! I use Gold Standard 100% whey, but not so much for weight loss and for protein gain.. Helps to repair muscles & get you TONED :-)
  • squirmmonster
    squirmmonster Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Protein repairs muscles that you damage during workouts. Protein doesn't help you lose weight, a calorie deficit (burning more calories than you consume) is what causes humans to lose weight.

Protein supplements are useful for those wanting to build muscle that do not consume enough natural proteins during the day.

This isn't entirely true. While it is true that protein won't help you lose weight as a universal rule, if you don't get enough protein in your diet, it could lead to food cravings. And the food cravings could make you overeat. (This used to describe me.) So... if you have that problem, protein powder could help. Protein can also help you feel fuller for longer, since it takes a while to digest when compared to carbohydrates... but then again, so does fiber. If you're not having cravings for no apparent reason, and you can make it several hours between meals as it is, extra protein probably won't really help much.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    The same goes for men and women.

I prefer just a decent whey protein powder. Optimum Nutrition makes some decent flavors.

I usually skip the bars, as they usually contain soy.
  • kittyd7015
    kittyd7015 Posts: 4,546 Member
    Options
    Would you get fat if you took them and didnt exercise enough?
  • KristalandVi
    KristalandVi Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    That depends on your overall diet and your level of "normal" activities. If you (for example) wait tables for a living, you will naturally burn more calories than you would sitting at a desk all day. There are a lot of factors to put into that particular equation.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options

What he said

I use protein bars & shakes to make sure I get enough protein, and they satisfy my sweet tooth :smile:
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I use chocolate peanut butter protein powder and mix it with almond milk to make it into a shake every day after my workout. MMMMMMM tasty. Keeps me full until I go to bed too.
  • semperfit1823
    Options

This is wrong.
  • semperfit1823
    Options

This is wrong.

PROTEIN AND WEIGHT LOSS

High Protein and High Dairy Intake Increases Fat LossJosse AR et al.
    Increased consumption of dairy foods and protein during diet- and exercise-induced weight loss promotes fat mass loss and lean mass gain in overweight and obese pre-menopausal women.
    J Nutr. 2011 Sep; 141(9):1626-34.

If you adhere to the Food Guide Pyramid or follow mainstream dietary, you know it's sacrilege to recommend that people consume more than 15% of their daily calories as protein. However, as more data supports higher-protein diets and their beneficial effects on everything from body composition and blood glucose control to support for persons with ADHD, sacrilege may become sacrosanct.

Consider a study that placed 90 overweight and obese adult women on either a low-dairy diet following the RDA for protein (15% of total calories as protein, and less than 2% of total calories from dairy products, respectively), an RDA protein level and moderate-dairy diet (7.5% of calories from dairy), or a high-protein (30%) and high-dairy diet (15%), in combination with daily exercise for 16 weeks. The results clearly support a higher protein and dairy diet for significant improvements in body composition.

Specifically, the high-protein and high-dairy diet significantly decreased fat mass and increased lean body mass better than the other groups.

Notably, only the high-protein and high-dairy group realized an increase in lean body mass, whereas the moderate-dairy and low-protein/low-dairy groups actually had no change or a significant reduction in lean mass.

The Bottom Line:
    Eat your protein! High-protein, high-dairy diets - when combined with daily exercise - produce better results than low-protein, low-dairy diets for losing body fat and increasing lean muscle mass.

Practical Application:
    If you're beginning a calorie-restricted exercise and diet program, consume 6-7 servings of low-fat dairy per day, and select your foods so that 30% of your total daily calories come from protein.

SUPPLEMENTS FOR FEMALES
    There are some geared toward women but unisex ones are good you can't go wrong with ON Gold Standard you just need to watch HOW you intake your supplements.

http://maaolop.wordpress.com/2012/10/09/protein-powder-for-women-what-to-look-for-in-a-protein-powder-for-women/
  • semperfit1823
    Options
    Would you get fat if you took them and didnt exercise enough?

YES but any excess of Macro Nutrients will get make you fat without proper excercise whether it be Proteins, Carbs, Fats
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I used the protein shakes. I have always been someone who would eat breakfast only to be hungry and wanting to snack on everything 2-3 hours later. Now that i am using the protein shakes, it is 5-6 hours before I even feel hungry..just in time for lunch. Also use them post workout.
  • retrailing
    retrailing Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Serenity216-
    What brand/type are you using?
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Basically what you want for weight loss is a great tasting protein shake with LOW sugar and carbs! International Protein make fairly decent shakes. I use 100% Lean Whey by Genetix Nutrition and it tastes delicious just mixed up with water.

Like previous posters have said, protein itself won't directly help you lose weight. If you are working out regularly, making sure you increase your protein intake will help your body build lean muscle, which in turn burns fat. It also has the added benefit of speeding up recovery time after after your workouts.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by protein bars/shakes helping you lose weight. There isn't any food that helps you lose weight - Losing weight is just a process of consuming fewer calories than your body burns.

I don't think relying on protein bars is a good strategy when you're trying to lose weight, any more than I would say eating a Snickers bar after a workout is a good strategy (they have similar calories and sugar content). Protein bars are in my arsenal only when I need some sustenance really quickly (like on a hike or if I'm out at the gym and haven't eaten anything).
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

This is wrong.

Not exactly
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options

This is wrong.

PROTEIN AND WEIGHT LOSS

High Protein and High Dairy Intake Increases Fat LossJosse AR et al.
    Increased consumption of dairy foods and protein during diet- and exercise-induced weight loss promotes fat mass loss and lean mass gain in overweight and obese pre-menopausal women.
    J Nutr. 2011 Sep; 141(9):1626-34.

If you adhere to the Food Guide Pyramid or follow mainstream dietary, you know it's sacrilege to recommend that people consume more than 15% of their daily calories as protein. However, as more data supports higher-protein diets and their beneficial effects on everything from body composition and blood glucose control to support for persons with ADHD, sacrilege may become sacrosanct.

Consider a study that placed 90 overweight and obese adult women on either a low-dairy diet following the RDA for protein (15% of total calories as protein, and less than 2% of total calories from dairy products, respectively), an RDA protein level and moderate-dairy diet (7.5% of calories from dairy), or a high-protein (30%) and high-dairy diet (15%), in combination with daily exercise for 16 weeks. The results clearly support a higher protein and dairy diet for significant improvements in body composition.

Specifically, the high-protein and high-dairy diet significantly decreased fat mass and increased lean body mass better than the other groups.

Notably, only the high-protein and high-dairy group realized an increase in lean body mass, whereas the moderate-dairy and low-protein/low-dairy groups actually had no change or a significant reduction in lean mass.

The Bottom Line:
    Eat your protein! High-protein, high-dairy diets - when combined with daily exercise - produce better results than low-protein, low-dairy diets for losing body fat and increasing lean muscle mass.

Practical Application:
    If you're beginning a calorie-restricted exercise and diet program, consume 6-7 servings of low-fat dairy per day, and select your foods so that 30% of your total daily calories come from protein.

SUPPLEMENTS FOR FEMALES
    There are some geared toward women but unisex ones are good you can't go wrong with ON Gold Standard you just need to watch HOW you intake your supplements.

http://maaolop.wordpress.com/2012/10/09/protein-powder-for-women-what-to-look-for-in-a-protein-powder-for-women/

I realize that I may be being nitpicky here, but this study doesn't say that more protein helps you lose weight. The study clearly states that weight loss was the same across all groups. Yes, the high protein groups lost more fat and increased LBM, which is really what most people want, but they did not lose any more weight.