Turning 30 in 70 days! Don't want to feel ashamed anymore!

Options
Hi everyone, yep i'm new here. I've been on mfp for 22 days and I think i might have lost 1 kg....
It's my 30th birthday in 70 days and I am determined to lose 15 kgs (around 33 pounds) by this date.
I have been 'in shape' for maybe 3 years in total in my life. When I was about 22 I went through a very big break up with my high school sweetheart (7 year relationship!), This kick started a real fitness drive for the first time in my life... I'd always been known as the chubby girl.
I got down to around 58kgs (a weight loss of over 30 kgs or 66 pounds) and was very fit and active. I was doing low carb at the time, and it was just not sustainable at all. Once i started to take the weight loss for granted.. BAM the weight starting piling right back on.
There is a great shame that takes over when you've lost weight and then regained it. Even now, i find myself staying away from old friends so that they don't see what became of me. I don't go clothes shopping and i often feel very anxious to go to any shops, cafe's or restaurants. It has had a profound negative effect on my 20's.
So currently I am in a good job and am in a great relationship (have been for 4 years), but i'm at this crossroads of my life. Asking myself why I haven't achieved the things i thought i would, and why I let others down?
Next week I am booking an overseas holiday to Malaysia - 133 days away... I am absolutely determined not to be fat for that. Is there anything worse than being unfit at the beach?! GAH!
I need help this time to keep motivated and I hope this online community can help me.
I look forward to reading all about your stories too.
xoxo :heart:

Replies

• RunningAweigh
    Options
    Well, I'll start off by saying that the chances of you losing 33lbs in 10 weeks is pretty slim unless you're seriously overweight. However, wouldn't losing 15lbs in 10 weeks be better than nothing? Set yourself a reasonable goal because any loss is better than no loss, right? 3.3lbs a week is setting yourself up for failure right off the bat, so get that out of your head. Shoot for 1-1.5lbs per week, make healthy choices and the weight will start coming off. You could probably lose 30lbs before your holiday, but don't get yourself down if you can't do it before your birthday, because it's an incredibly unrealistic goal.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do, just remember that even if you only lose 10lbs before your birthday, that's still a 10lbs loss and that's amazing!
  • alan589
    alan589 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Good decision.

I got fed up being part of the chubby club, you know the fat and jolly guy. I want to be thin and miserable!

All the best.

Alan
  • Mgetsfit
    Mgetsfit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    RunningAweigh said everything I was thinking, maybe you want to lose this weight a little slower :)

Hope you will achieve your goal someday, I'll try to support whenever I can!

My best wishes for you :)
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    To repeat what's already been said.... set yourself a more realistic goal. 2lb a week max loss.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I can totally relate to your post! I am turning 30 in exactly 6 months and have decided that I MUST reach my goal weight by then which is 30 pounds away. So I have officially set that goal for myself and am calling it "operation 30 by 30" ha ha.

I have been about 40 pounds overweight for the last half of my 20's which led to a lot of anxiety, self esteem issues and even pushing people out of my life since I didn't really want to be around my thin hot friends. Sometimes can't help but feel regretful that I spent these years of my life feeling BAD about myself. However, you can't change the past, all you can do is look forward to a great new decade :smile:

Feel free to add me as a friend so we can support each other. I would echo the sentiments of the other people on this thread and encourage you to set a more realistic and healthy goal. 33 pounds in 70 days is a LOT!
  • georgemang82
    georgemang82 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who read and replied! RunningAweigh, you are absolutely right. I guess I haven't really thought it all through properly and am maybe letting my emotions take over my common sense!
    I must say that over the last 2.5 weeks since I started watching what I eat and walking I have felt so much happier with less moody days. My skin has also improved which is awesome for the confidence! So weight loss really isn't the be all and end all is it.
    Once again I really appreciate that you all took the time to reply and offer advice.
    By the way alan589- LOL! Too funny :)
    bronnyd- so comforting to hear someone feels the same way!
    :smile:
  • Toshiana123
    Options
    Hello,

Don't stress over it...I believe stress alone puts weight on. It causes you to eat more in my opinion. Welcome to MFP, hope everything goes well for you! Add me if you like! ;0)
  • Toshiana123
    Options
    I love your story! At least you came to terms with it, and admitted that you felt that way. That's when you know you're moving forward when you acknowledge your mistakes. You will lose the weight because you're determined. Add me if you wish for encouragement! ;0)
  • vzryder
    vzryder Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your quest, but I personally feel you may be setting the bar too high, in too short a time?

Instead go for the slower, longer lasting, sustainable goals:)

I am happy to have you if you wish a s a friend,as I need some support, and love to have you add me:)

Pat
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    Add me as well if you would like! I turned 30 June 2nd- it wasn't as momentous as I thought it would be. LOL!
    I have 2 kids and just never found the me time to lose the weight after baby #2.
    Baby #2 just turned ***4*** Oct 2nd, and this weight just has to go!

It is all about good food choices and calories in vs. calories out.
    I have lost 3.4 lbs in the last 7 days- but I am also eating low carb and exercising 40 min on the elliptical a day and lifting weights 3x a week.
    Low carb isn't easy, but it is sustainable for some if you go about it the right way. It isn't for everyone, though, for sure.
    I am here every day, many times a day, so feel free to add me as a friend if you would like the extra support. :)