ANyone have 529 plan for kids?

Options
cmbx2mom
cmbx2mom Posts: 56 Member
I have 2 kids,ages 6 and 7 and need to start saving for college. Can anyone recommend a good 529 plan? Our state doens't have any discounts/inecntives, so any state one is fair game.

Replies

• LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I set up a 529 plan for my son last year (he's 2.5 now). If you PM me, I'll get you the details tonight when I'm at home--otherwise I'll forget!
  • kathim429
    kathim429 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have a 529 plan, not sure of the details. I will have to look. My kids are 9 and 12 and I have a Upromise account. If you haven't signed up, you should think about it! It is online and you register your store cards (like grocery, drug store, etc.) and your bank cards if you like. Companies give a percentage back when you purchase their products. For example: Coke might give 1%. That money goes into your upromise account...then once there is enough you can transfer it into a 529 account and they have links on the site for some of them. I apologize for the info if you already know about it. But for me, it is like free money in their account. I think we are up to about $700 without any of my money in there.
  • gts175
    gts175 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of research about 3 years ago and settled on Utah's. It was rated number 1 by several and always in the top 5 of the others. Good Luck.
  • Foie_gras
    Foie_gras Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have several. We do the one for our state to get the tax deduction, but I also have one through a credit card. It's like a bonus miles card -- a percent of what you charge goes back to the 529. That one is through Fidelity (and is the NH state plan), but there are several credit cards that do this.

If you don't get a tax break in your state, look for the 529 that has a good reputation for performing well AND has very low fees. Most will allow you to do a direct/electronic deposit to avoid the fees, but some still have management fees.

If you google "best 529 plans", there's all sorts of information and analysis about which performed best last year, etc.

Good luck!