Low Calorie-yet-yummy Food Items?

Options
:flowerforyou:

I am addicted to myfitnesspal.com. Not because I'm a numbers nut who finds all this much like a game of monopoly- such as when I eat chocolate, I feel as though I should go directly to jail. No--- it's mostly the shock factor in finding out things like "a few table spoons of peanut butter= 190 calories? whaaaaa....?" Or realizing that coleslaw is about the same amount of calories as mashed potatoes. When once I believed that greens were the trade-off alternative to yummy mashed carbs, an idea I greatly suffered from in many of my previous dieting moments; I can now breathe easy realizing that there are food items out there, tasty, and to some degree rather healthy. At the same time, sometimes substituting items for something more tasty (and surprisingly less calories) hits the spot. Just to name a few:

Tabouli
Strawberry & Rasberry Preserves (Rather than peanut butter and jelly)
Yellow Mustard (set aside the honey mustard)
Thin everything bagels (110 calories for a while bagel)
Mini popcorn bags sans butter
Spinach with a bit of garlic
Sugar fee popsicles
Cucumber and tomatoes with a sprinkle of salt and lemon
Baked tostito chips
Salsa - all kinds, and many colors
Sugar-free ice cream or yogurt is surprisingly delicious!
Fruit cup: cantaloupe, honeydew, and watermelon
Chicken legs (keep the skin on)

One thing to note... don't be fooled by that ranch/blue cheese/ tasty salad dressing salads. They have quite a bit of calories and it might even be best to indulge yourself in some other item, such as a mini donut, over those dangerous green concoctions.

Feel free to include other items...

Replies

• gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    i challenge anyone to give me a better low calorie meal than: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/trader-joes-grilled-teriyaki-salmon-bowl-w-brown-rice-vegetables-12303814

love cucumbers and tomatoes by the way! money!
  • jbootman
    jbootman Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    too high in sodium and too low in fiber

tomatoes rule,
    meat and veg in one bowl, tomatoes and cottage cheese in one bowl, cereal, berries and almond milk for dessert and a jello just for fun

General Mills - Fiber One Original Bran Cereal, 1 Cup 120

Generic - Beef Short Ribs, 1 oz 133

Generic - Broccoli (Boiled and Drained W/O Salt), 200 g 68

Almond Dream - Unsweetened Almond Milk, 0.5 cup 20

Generic - Raspberries Fresh Raw, 170 g 88

Tomatoes - Red, ripe, raw, June thru October average, 300 g 63

Jell-O (Jello) - Gelatin Snacks - Cherry/Black Cherry Sugar Free, 1 snack 10

Lucerne - Cottage Cheese - Lowfat 1% No Salt Added, 1 cup 160

662 calories 50g fiber 528mg sodium

this is my typical dinner, alternatively I substitute 7 boiled egg whites for the beef or 100 g chicken meat
  • Mistychristensen
    Mistychristensen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple of my staples:
    Baked sweet potatoe with log cabin sugar free syrup drizzeled on top (taste like candied sweet potato)
    ~ sugar free honey mustard : Mix dijon mustard and sugar free log cabin syrup. (I dip grilled chicken breast in this)
    ~ Taco soup : 1 can french cut green beans 1 can chili beans 1 can kidney beans 1 can tomatoes, taco seasoning. dump in crock pot and cook. I add a half a cup of cottage cheese to a bowl to add protein. (I know the cottage cheese may sound gross....I but think along the lines of lasagna)
    ~half a whole wheat bagel with 1 tablespoon peanut butter
    ~grilled chicken breast with a shredded string cheese on top. Microwave until melted, then top with a little salsa.
  • Tabimiller417
    Tabimiller417 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Mmm th honey mustard variation with the chicken sounds yummy! =]

and the baked tostitos with salsa but are the tostitos lower sodium than regular? bc tostitos are pretty salty..

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sugar

Nature's Own - Honey Wheat Bread - 40 Cal, 2 slices
    80 19 1 5 6 2

Heb - Shaved Brown Sugar Ham , 2 oz
    60 3 1 10 0 2

All Natural Pop Chips - Bbq Potato, 14 g/20 chips
    60 10 2 1 0 0

Generic - Green Leaf Lettuce, 0.25 Cup Shredded (36g)
    1 0 0 0 0 0

Generic - Advocado, 1/4 medium (30g/1oz)
    63 4 6 1 1 0

•=
    264 36 10 17 7 4

This is what I had for lunch today.. next time Im going to use chicken instead to add more protein and less sugar.
    It was really filling and I didnt need an afternoon snack.
    I really recommend the bread bc as you can see its low calorie (80/2sl) and since I dont like whole wheat this tastes great.. however the price is pretty high (2.80 loaf) but to me its worth it.
    And I tried the pop chips for the first time yesterday and was expecting alot worse. They actually arent bad, just different but they are all natural and the best part is no SUGAR! =] theres a coupon for em online right now..

I also like
    unsalted pretzels

I have been seriously considering the milk alternatives such as almond/coconut/soy.. however Im worried that I wont like it and Ill waste money (nobody else in the house will touch it) I currently drink skim which isnt bad but I know I could be upping my nutrients.. any suggestions?
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    tilapia seasoned with dill, mrs. dash's original, and lemon pepper...grilled in some olive oil.

together with...

asparagus seasoned with dill, mrs. dash's original and sesame seeds...grilled in some olive oil (sometimes I add mushrooms or bean sprouts with the asparagus)

the foregoing meal is YUMILICIOUS and good for you.
  • dcanieso
    Options
    Everyone has some great low-cal, low sugar, low something on here that I never even thought about! Thanks for the additional food items.
  • Mistychristensen
    Mistychristensen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ~ LOG CABIN SUGER FREE SYRUP

I mix it with dijon mustard (makes a great honey mustard!) dip chicken etc in it

Pour it on a backed sweet potatoe (tastes like candied sweet potatoe)

~ Marinated artichoke hearts from Costco...I sprinkle Parmesean cheese on then

~ Green bean spegehetti ....instead of pouring sauce over high calorie pasta, I drain and pat dry french cut green beans and pour it over them. Green beans have very little flavor (like pasta) and very few calories