Accuracy of Bathroom Scale

Options
I just purchased a new bathroom scale because the old one died. I'm a little concerned about the accuracy of the new one, but I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid. Here's why:

1) Today I weighed myself 5 times in succession on the scale (I weighed my self, stepped off, wait for it to turn off and weigh myself again) and here are the readings I got: 307.0, 306.8, 307.8, 307.2. & 307.4. If I continued weighing the readings would continue to fluctuate. I realize that the readings are all within 1 lb but my previous scale would give the exact same weight on every reading in the same situation.

2)Additionally I tested my new scale with a 25 lb dumbbell I have and it reads 25.8 lbs. Granted I never checked the dumbbell on the old scale so I don't have anything to compare it too. Regardless, it bothers me.

Am I demanding too much of my bathroom scale, or should I expect it to be more accurate?

Replies

• Astraea1976
    Astraea1976 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I go to my healthcare provider (UK) as they have digital scales used for accurate measuring for the ole injections and things. I am allowed to use them whenever i want and it gives me a print out also which can help you keep a record.

I wouldn't trust any bathroom scales as they can be adjusted by floor levels and the like. In my work i have a set of scales which makes me 2kg heavier than the scales at my doctors.

if you use your home one for a guide, always make sure its not on carpet and on an even hard floor and make sure you put it in the same place each time that way you are getting an accurate weigh in for your scales. But always back up with a check at the docs!!
  • hgrizzle
    Options
    I keep mine on a hard level surface and never move it which is part of the reason I'm worried about the accuracy. If the scale is stable I feel like it should be giving more consistent readings.

As far as reading my true weight I'm not as worried about that I just want to know that I'm headed in the right direction. I had been loosing somewhere between 1.5 to 0.5 lbs per day. This scale won't pick that up if it's measurements fluctuate by a lb. Is that typical of a home scale?
  • AUPerry
    AUPerry Posts: 166
    Options
    bump
  • juliegin
    juliegin Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think 100% accuracy may be too much to ask, but consistency is not.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    since it is new...does it need to be calibrated in some fashion? Read the owner's manual to see if there is something to do before use.
  • Astraea1976
    Astraea1976 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    if they are digital they should have some sort of reset button!

On my kitchen digitals i have to level them out and hold a button down to 0 it so i would say bathroom scales have the same principle!

Consistent readings are what i mean. but i am trying to go for exact as nowhere in my house is bloody level!!!
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I have 2 digital scales , and they both will give different numbers each time I step on it....very frustrating!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Fretting over a variation of .6 lbs (approx .2%) is definitely a first world problem. (Have you actually verified the weight of the dumbbell on a scale you know to be accurate?)
  • mkstirp
    mkstirp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations within a pound is actually pretty good for a digital bathroom scale. Although weighing yourself everyday can often be counter productive what you may not see on a daily basis will emerge as a recognizable pattern after 5 or 6 days.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    The standard error of that scale is about plus or minus .17 lbs based on those measurements (st dev / sq rt (5)) . Just use it and average a few together. No worries.