Milk/Cottage Cheese before bed

Options
I am trying to build muscle. I have read that Casein is found in Milk (20% Whey, 80% Casein) and Cottage Cheese (made from milk with the Whey protein extracted) and is a very slowly digested protein. People have suggested this as a pre bed snack to leave the body with a source of slowly digesting protein during the long period without food overnight. Additionally large amounts of muscle synthesis takes place while you sleep.

I tried cottage cheese but found it very filling and as I go to bed at different times, I often forgot to have it and late at night couldn't be bothered to take the time to prepare and eat it.

So I am thinking semi skimmed milk might be a good idea, particularly because of the convenience. However I need to drink about 1.5 pints to get the 30g of protein I'm aiming for, which might mean a few late night trips to the loo!. So going to try powdered milk and just add alot less water (its about half the price of standard semi skimmed milk and 100 less calories as well).

So going to give it a try, just wondered if anyone else does this or other altenatives?

Replies

• Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese has a very high amount of casein, and is great to take before you sleep as it is very high on bioavailability, and slow digesting protein. When I was building, I used to use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard casein at night in water.
  • stphnstevey
    Options
    Can you buy casein as a supplement then?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    you can get casein powder. but I've heard it's pretty hideous and doesn't mix well most of the time.

no offense, but if you can't take the time to eat a cup of cottage cheese before bed, it doesn't sound like you're really serious about your goals. I eat an entire tub of it every night. Takes 10 minutes tops.

Just eat it.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You do not NEED slow digesting protein at night in order to build muscle.

If you don't want to eat anything right before you go to bed, don't.

You aren't going to lose any muscle providing you eat enough protein and total calories during the rest of the day.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You do not NEED slow digesting protein at night in order to build muscle.

If you don't want to eat anything right before you go to bed, don't.

You aren't going to lose any muscle providing you eat enough protein and total calories during the rest of the day.
    This.

At first I believed such nonsense. Now, I just continue to use it out of habit. I find it to be a tasty treat before I go to bed.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

At first I believed such nonsense. Now, I just continue to use it out of habit. I find it to be a tasty treat before I go to bed.

agreed.
    I continue it for similar reasons. And I like having a decent snack before bed because if I dont eat i typically wake up hungry at 3 a.m.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    i used to take casein before bed, but no matter what brand i tried they all tasted horrible. These days I eat cottage cheese before bed.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I tried cottage cheese but found it very filling and as I go to bed at different times, I often forgot to have it and late at night couldn't be bothered to take the time to prepare and eat it.

What's to prepare?

Remove lid, insert spoon, empty spoon into mouth. Done.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I actually like the taste of the casein powders I've had more than whey. I just don't get it very often because it's a lot more expensive. I used to mix a scoop of ON Blueberries and Cream casein with some greek yogurt. It was pretty freakin good.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Remove lid, insert spoon, empty spoon into mouth. Done.

This and I steal hot sauce packets from taco bell and put in it.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Now I need to go to Taco Bell and get some hot sauce to put in my cottage cheese. That sounds really good. Might as well get a Doritos Taco Loco while I'm there.

I like it with pineapple in it. Sometimes I put salt and pepper on it. (Cottage cheese, not Doritos Tacos Locos)
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I like any hot sauce in it, really. The ones from taco bell are a little sweeter and I think that goes nice with the natural saltiness of the cheese.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I like any hot sauce in it, really. The ones from taco bell are a little sweeter and I think that goes nice with the natural saltiness of the cheese.

Yeah. The taco bell ones are they're own thing. Not like regular hot sauce. I've put tobasco and yucatan sunshine in mine and I've also put regular salsa in it and eaten with chips - damn, now I want that.
  • stphnstevey
    Options
    I was having cottage cheese with pineapple, prep was just opening tin and check together in a bowl, but at that time of night even the smallest thing seemed like effort so milk just seemed easier. During the day I spend alot of time ensuring my diet is good, so generally motivated