How to keep pace when running

Options
Good Morning all,

I am doing the C25K program. It's been going very well until today. :grumble: Week 6, Day 2 kicked my butt. I actually went farther and had a slightly lower mph than I normally do, even though I couldn't get through the second 10 minute run. That's when I realized my pacing is the problem.

Pacing Ideas?

Replies

• TwtyMami35
    Options
    Hold your head up and look around when you run. You focus more on your environment and helps with your breathing. I am not an expert, but my father who has been running for 30 years told me this and it works.i watch the birds, planes, look at buildings, people's decorations, etc.
  • holographic
    Options
    If on the treadmill I clap like a seal...

If on the track or cross country, then I tie a small puppy to one ankle and every time it "yelps" I count... Quite simple really ....
  • justrunjon
    Options
    Dont concetntrate on pace just yet, make sure you can hold a conversation with yourself, if you cant your going to fast!, pace can wait till after the c25k
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Yep easy if you are with others collapse on floor...:noway: they will all come running back then get just and carry on you had a rest they done xtra! lol :wink:
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I am on the exact same week and day as you and finding it hard to get that full extra 10 mins in... actually what I have done this week is repeat this week 6 day 2 3x's now.. I refuse to move on to week 6 day 3 until I can accomplish today. Do you run outside or on a treadmill? I am on the treadmill as I live in Fl and it nearly killed me running outside so I think partly mine is getting bored with the same wall to look at.
  • fruitloops313
    fruitloops313 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have a really hard time keeping the pace outside. I've now set up all my playlists by BPM and it helps tremendously !
  • Jormesher
    Jormesher Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Y'all are very funny people, especially this early in the morning! In addition to the great laughs, there were some great ideas. I look forward to trying them.

@ dlpnrn2b - glad to know I'm not the only one. When I stopped running this morning, I decided I would go back and re-do this day until I had won the battle. I am running outside. We've got similar weather so those morning runs can be miserable. I'm looking forward to a cold front coming through. :D
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Simple - Keep slowing down until you have a pace that you know you can sustain. Then you can still pick it up as you get nearer the end of your workout if you have some reserves,

or get a GPS Watch
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Pacing is actually a skill, and like any other you'll get better with practice.
    You are getting feedback each time you run. If you can't maintain the pace you started with, you know you went out too fast.
    Next time, try again at a slower pace.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I run using Runkeeper that lets me know every 5 minutes what my pace is. And music. Some songs I can't run slow to, and some are a good for a steady pace. Alice in Chains "Grind" or Johnny Cash's cover of "Rusty Cage" are perfect for a steady pace for me, but I run fast to LMFAO, no matter what.

I also try to mouth the words. If my breathing is too heavy that I can't mouth the words, I'm running too fast.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    This is my favourite running tip:
    When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

You'll get faster, get the distance and stamina under your belt first and teh speed will come in time :flowerforyou:
  • ShaunMc1968
    Options
    My advice for what it's worth would be to get your breathing right. My ideal rythm is two steps breath, two steps breath. Kinda like "bud um" Phew! "bud um" Phew! I know that sounds silly but it works!!
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are good, GPSs are good (I <3 my Garmin), perceived exertion is good (if you pay attention), and timing your breathing with your heel strike all work for me. Mostly I look at my heart rate and just glance at the pace on the GPS.
  • Jormesher
    Jormesher Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I know that no one will see this but I KICKED BUTT TONIGHT!!!!

Done. Week 6, day 2- fastest time and longest distance so far.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    good for you!