Diet Help

Options
I just started my dieting. I would like to know what I can get before I go shopping for the week. Please help. Guess my weight and tell me how I can lose about 30lbs before the new year.

Replies

• Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Strawberries, Greek yogurt, chicken breast, veggies, eggs, ground turkey.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Well first of all I wont guess your weight second you cant think of this as a diet you have to think of this as a lifestyle change
    Now first of all you will need to stay away from white breads, rice, pasta, etc. stick with the whole grains and brown rices and things Buy yourself some pan spray instead of using butter or marg. or oil to fry in.
    Get some nice fresh fruit and veggies maybe some hummus to dip the veggies in. Stay away from high fat dressings
    and get some good olive oil. Also be sure to drink lots and lots of water. Watch the processed food and also watch your sodium content. Be careful of the serving sizes and anything that says fat free or low fat because they usually are added sugars or sodium for flavor. Get some greek yogurt too and maybe some almond milk
  • Cali212
    Cali212 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    As many vegetables as possible, as little meat/carbohydrates. Stay away from anything in a box or a package.

Here's a great blog that can help: http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I just started my dieting. I would like to know what I can get before I go shopping for the week. Please help. Guess my weight and tell me how I can lose about 30lbs before the new year.

I'm not going to guess your weight because that has nothing to do with losing weight.

If you want to lose 30lbs by Jan 1st, you have 12 weeks to do it. That means you need to lose 2.5lbs a week. Doable, but not realistic. If you have 100 plus pounds to lose, you could probably pull it off. But if you only have 30lbs to lose, it's not going to be really possible. Why the time limit?
    Just follow MFP and eat foods that keep you in your calorie/macro goal. Try to eat "healthy" food (lean protein, some dairy, whole grains, healthy fats, fruits and veggies) most of the time. Give yourself room for a few treats here and there. If you set this up so you can develop eating habits that last for the rest of your life, you'll be much more successful. If you treat this like a crash diet, you might lose a little weight, you might not.
    Good luck!
  • Loveachallenge32
    Loveachallenge32 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I'm not going to guess your weight because that has nothing to do with losing weight.

If you want to lose 30lbs by Jan 1st, you have 12 weeks to do it. That means you need to lose 2.5lbs a week. Doable, but not realistic. If you have 100 plus pounds to lose, you could probably pull it off. But if you only have 30lbs to lose, it's not going to be really possible. Why the time limit?
    Just follow MFP and eat foods that keep you in your calorie/macro goal. Try to eat "healthy" food (lean protein, some dairy, whole grains, healthy fats, fruits and veggies) most of the time. Give yourself room for a few treats here and there. If you set this up so you can develop eating habits that last for the rest of your life, you'll be much more successful. If you treat this like a crash diet, you might lose a little weight, you might not.
    Good luck!

Well my time limit is really till February or March. My husband and I are going on a curise kinda of honeymoon trip. We got married in July and didn't really get a honeymoon. So I want to lose some weight before we go. I am 170lbs and I just want to lose 30lbs at the most. I understand about the treats here and there. I really want to save that till the holidays if I could.
  • Loveachallenge32
    Options
    Well first of all I wont guess your weight second you cant think of this as a diet you have to think of this as a lifestyle change
    Now first of all you will need to stay away from white breads, rice, pasta, etc. stick with the whole grains and brown rices and things Buy yourself some pan spray instead of using butter or marg. or oil to fry in.
    Get some nice fresh fruit and veggies maybe some hummus to dip the veggies in. Stay away from high fat dressings
    and get some good olive oil. Also be sure to drink lots and lots of water. Watch the processed food and also watch your sodium content. Be careful of the serving sizes and anything that says fat free or low fat because they usually are added sugars or sodium for flavor. Get some greek yogurt too and maybe some almond milk

I wanted to say thank you. I have your infor written down.
  • Loveachallenge32
    Options
    Strawberries, Greek yogurt, chicken breast, veggies, eggs, ground turkey.

thank you i have these things written down.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    I am betting that you know what to get from the grocery store just like you know how much you weigh. It is important to you....

Make some good choices at the grocer. Get lean protein, fruit, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.
  • Loveachallenge32
    Options
    I am betting that you know what to get from the grocery store just like you know how much you weigh. It is important to you....

Make some good choices at the grocer. Get lean protein, fruit, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.

Yes I do know how much I weigh. But no I do not know what I need to get to start my dieting. I have tried about everything out there and still cant lose anything.
  • LoraF83
    Options

Yes I do know how much I weigh. But no I do not know what I need to get to start my dieting. I have tried about everything out there and still cant lose anything.

It's not about WHAT you eat - there is no product/pill/meal/supplement/diet that will magically make you lose weight. Which is why people are telling you that you just need to use MFP - weight loss is about a calorie deficit. Eat whatever you want (for weight loss, it pretty much doesn't matter). If you want to be healthy, try to eat mostly healthy foods. Just stay slightly under or at your calorie goal every day. That's all that matters. Honestly.
  • Loveachallenge32
    Options

It's not about WHAT you eat - there is no product/pill/meal/supplement/diet that will magically make you lose weight. Which is why people are telling you that you just need to use MFP - weight loss is about a calorie deficit. Eat whatever you want (for weight loss, it pretty much doesn't matter). If you want to be healthy, try to eat mostly healthy foods. Just stay slightly under or at your calorie goal every day. That's all that matters. Honestly.

thank you very much. i would like to add you on here.
  • CLynch309
    CLynch309 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really matter what you eat - it's how MUCH of it you eat. I've lost 31 pounds and I did it by carefully tracking how much I eat vs. how much I burn. I don't eat it until I know it's in my per-day calorie budget, and then STOPPING when I've hit my daily limit. When you know how many calories per day you can eat, it's a lot easier to plan what you want to eat. I eat a lot of things that people "say" aren't good for me. Hasn't prevented me from losing weight.

First thing, figure out how many calories per day you can eat. MFP will help you there. Second, get a food scale. Third, take an inventory of what you typically eat in a typical day. Now, look up and see how much of it you can eat and stay within that calorie budget. Then look at nutrients and taste and see if there's a substitute that will let you eat enough of it to make it satisfying. If you're miserable all the time from denying yourself, this won't work.

Let me give you an example. I used to start my day with a bowl of Raisin Bran in the mornings with 2% milk. Healthy, right? Not the way I was eating it. When I measure how much I was eating, it turned out what I considered a "normal " serving was the equivalent of FOUR servings of cereal and at least THREE servings of milk. Instead of getting a reasonable number of calories for breakfast, I was getting two-thirds of an entire day's worth of calories. I switched from 2% to skim milk, and on my nutritionist's advice, switched from Raisin Bran to Kashi Go Lean. I MEASURE a serving. I don't guesstimate. Now, instead of getting 800 calories its only 200.

Was it hard to adjust to smaller portion sizes? You bet. That's why I exercised a TON when i first started my diet, because the more you burn, the more you can eat. I didn't HAVE to decrease my portion size from the equivalent of 4 servings to 1 serving in one step - the amount of calories I burned enabled me to make that transition a little more gradually and STILL lose weight.

It took about three months before I could say I was genuinely satisfied with 1 serving as opposed to 4 servings. But once I got myself accustomed to eating much smaller portions, it meant I could loosen up on the exercise if I wanted to. I can sit on my butt all day if I need to and still be satisfied with what I eat and not gain weight. (I doubt I'd be able to lose, but I could sure maintain without exercise if I had to!)

And the cool thing about exercise is that if you do something you enjoy, you really don't mind doing it. If it's all "work" and no enjoyment, then it's probably not the right kind of exercise for you.

One other tip regarding the holidays: they can be REALLY hard. So plan to cheat, but plan your cheats carefully. If between now and the holidays you start cutting down your portion sizes, then when you're tempted by let's say a big slice of apple pie a la mode, maybe you'll be satisfied after only a couple bites and won't feel obligated to eat several pieces! I'm sorry - one more tip regarding successful holiday dieting: dealing with the "feelings" of other about how much you eat, especially of food they've prepared. NO ONE should be offended if all you've had is just a bite or two. Their egos shouldn't demand that you consume huge portions. Don't let anyone "guilt" you into eating more than you actually want to, or into eating all that you actually want to. Pre-emptively thank them for their support in helping you stick to your resolve.
  • LoraF83
    Options

Feel free to send me an add :)
  • Loveachallenge32
    Options

Feel free to send me an add :)

Thank you and I had sent you an add
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    1. Digital food scale
    2. Measuring cups and spoons
    3. Ziploc or similar brand snack and sandwich bags

Portioning out food will do more than you think. Food will last longer and you can have the mental satisfaction of "finishing the bag" of 30g of nuts instead of 1kg.

Watch sodium content.