30 Day Shred - Please tell me it gets better!!

Options
2»

Replies

• annielaurie88
    annielaurie88 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i started 30DS. i got to the end of level 2 and got so bored with it, not really sure why. so i started doing C25K, (the running program) and i LOVE it so far!! its great especailly if you want to go running with your man. it starts out nice and slow, so anyone can do it! i am not a runner nor have i ever enjoyed running but i do really enjoy doing this program. they have awesome apps for smartphones too! check it out if you want to get good at running:)

if not, good luck on 30DS! hope it works for ya!
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    You might consider using a foam roller or a massage stick to help with the soreness. Warning, they are painful to use but do aid in recovery.

Also, make sure to hydrate(water) a lot throughout the day to help flush out any high CPK/CK levels that you might have from working out. You also might consider taking BCAA supplements as there are some studies that show taking them can reduce CPK/CK levels. For example, http://scholarsresearchlibrary.com/ABR-vol3-iss3/ABR-2012-3-3-1569-1576.pdf
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It gets better and it is worth it! It is a hard workout - but each day it gets easier if you stick with it. Honestly, I think it is better to go every day without a break instead of taking a day off here and there, because your body adapts better if you do it every day.

Plus, what I say to myself whenever it gets hard (or when I am having an off day and I don't really feel like doing it) is - it is only 20 minutes! I can push through 20 minutes - especially when it is such a productive 20 minutes.

You can do it - and trust me, you will be SO GLAD you did!!!

Unless you are slacking and not giving it your all, you NEED rest days. Overtraining can potentially be harmful! Without rest days, your subsequent workouts are inferior because you are less than your best. Also, your muscles do not grow on workout days; they grow on rest days.

See: https://www.thieme-connect.de/DOI/DOI?10.1055/s-0031-1271764
    and: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1450881

1. Amino acids are used up faster than they are supplied in the diet. This is sometimes called "protein deficiency".
    2. The body becomes calorie-deficient and the rate of break down of muscle tissue increases.
    3. Levels of cortisol (the "stress" hormone) are elevated for long periods of time.
    4. The body spends more time in a catabolic state than an anabolic state (perhaps as a result of elevated cortisol levels).
    5. Excessive strain to the nervous system during training.

Overtraining may be accompanied by one or more concomitant symptoms:
    1. Persistent muscle soreness
    2. Persistent fatigue
    3. Elevated resting heart rate
    4. Reduced heart rate variability
    5. Increased susceptibility to infections
    6. Increased incidence of injuries
    7. Irritability
    8. Depression
    9. Mental breakdown

This and I saw on my Jillian daily email:
    Q: What are the rules for working out when you're still really sore from the day before?
    A:You should NOT train a muscle that's sore. The reason for this is that your body interprets exercise as stress; it's during the recovery time when the real work is being done. Think of exercise as the architect and recovery as the builder. If you work a muscle too soon after a training session, therefore, you will just break it down.

Also, you shouldn't be sore for more than two days after a workout; if you are, you may have a slight injury or muscle strain. If this is the case, take it easy and give that muscle time to heal before training it again.

Get more fitness tips from Jillian Michaels.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    This and I saw on my Jillian daily email:
    Q: What are the rules for working out when you're still really sore from the day before?
    A:You should NOT train a muscle that's sore. The reason for this is that your body interprets exercise as stress; it's during the recovery time when the real work is being done. Think of exercise as the architect and recovery as the builder. If you work a muscle too soon after a training session, therefore, you will just break it down.

Also, you shouldn't be sore for more than two days after a workout; if you are, you may have a slight injury or muscle strain. If this is the case, take it easy and give that muscle time to heal before training it again.

Get more fitness tips from Jillian Michaels.

Great post! I should sign up for her emails.

What JM is saying here is completely in line with what I have read in NROLFW and online body building websites.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    The first four days are the worst, but before you know it, your stamina will be better, your energy will be higher, and you'll even find yourself getting a little bored! Tough it out, lady!