my panic inducing NSV

Options
So I woke up this morning and did the usual. Went downstairs, made some coffee, let the dog out, etc. I went to wash my hands and realized...to my utter horror...that my engagement ring was not on my finger!!!

**gasp**

Quickly, I run through all possible scenarios of when I may have taken it off. I wasn't drinking last night so I didn't drunkenly put it anywhere. Did I take it off while I was gardening? I don't think I did...I was wearing gloves. What about about when I was scooping the goop out of those pumpkins. I wore gloves for that too. OH MY GOD WHERE IS MY RING.

Panicked, I ran back upstairs to the bedroom. Is it on the dresser?
no.
Is it on the window sill where I put my glasses at night?
no.
Suddenly, I see something on the bed. It's small...it's round...it's sparkly...
My PRETTY! She fell off in my sleep!

Panic dies doesn and relief kicks in. How did this happen? I have a bad habit of forgetting to put my ring on after I take it off for things like showers or sleep so I always just sleep with it on. I've noticed lately that it spins around on my finger now...and if I shake my hand a couple times hard enough, it will fling off. Apparently now I've lost enough weight that my ring can slide off in my sleep.

I'll take this as a win...found my ring...NSV! Problem is I don't want to bother resizing it because I still have 70 pounds to lose which will undoubtedly mean ANOTHER resizing and I just don't want to deal with that multiple times. It stays on my finger during normal activities so when (and if) it just starts sliding off my hand I'll take it in.

:)

Replies

• victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh...I can only imagine the horror that was! Super glad you found it! Also super glad that you're doing so well! Great job! :smile:
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Good/bad, right? lol I just about had a heart attack when I was shampooing my hair and my rings fell off in the shower. They bounced all over the tub and I was CERTAIN they were going to go down the drain. I haven't worn them since.
  • xaniza
    xaniza Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Glad you found it!
    Phew, what a relief!

I wear my rings on my middle finger now. I suppose I'll get them sized once I'm where I want to be... til then, whatever! =)

Congrats on that NSV!
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I do believe they sell a spacer at most jewlery stores that can be worn inside the ring to prevent it from falling off. It might be a better choice until you get to your goal weight.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    Yay!! Congratulations!

And a side note...I moved my ring to my middle finger where it stayed snugly till I lost 65 pounds...just had it resized last week. :)
  • countrygal2004
    countrygal2004 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You could always wrap some tape around the inside of it till you really feel you need to resize. I'm experiencing the same thing where it spins around. I only wear it when I'm going out because most of the activities I do at home are things like mucking stalls, cutting fire wood, cleaning, etc and I really don't want to wreck or lose it doing those things so I take it off pretty much as soon as I get home. Tape will do the trick for now. :wink:
  • avivan
    avivan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Great job!

You should look into ring sizing beads or spacers. They're economical ways of temporarily getting your ring to fit you. Just ask your jeweler.
  • WannaBSkinnyBride
    Options
    oh.my.gosh. that's terrifying!!!!!!!!!!
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have a suggestion, assuming you're already married -- either swap the position of your rings (so the wedding band is on the outside) or purchase an inexpensive small band to wear next to your engagement ring to help hold it on.

I know it's not traditional, but I've always worn my wedding band on the outside as a safety precaution to keep me from losing my diamond ring. In 12 years of marriage, we haven't noticed any ill effects from having the engagement ring be the one "closer to my heart!"
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I have moved mine from my ring finger, to my thumb, and currently its on my middle finger (it will be there for a while now) as I have been losing weight. It's cheaper than getting it re-sized and I don't have to get anything special for it. Unless you are really dead set on keeping it on your ring finger, just move it. Then you won't run the risk of losing it again.

Congrats on your loss!!
  • WannaBSkinnyBride
    Options
    Good/bad, right? lol I just about had a heart attack when I was shampooing my hair and my rings fell off in the shower. They bounced all over the tub and I was CERTAIN they were going to go down the drain. I haven't worn them since.

oh.my.gosh. that's terrifying!!!!!!!!!!

(I accidentally put that comment in it's own post...whoops.)
  • WannaBSkinnyBride
    Options
    I do believe they sell a spacer at most jewlery stores that can be worn inside the ring to prevent it from falling off. It might be a better choice until you get to your goal weight.

That's an awesome idea. I'll definitely look into that!
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Great NSV! So glad you found it. Walmart sells really basic ring sizers that are removeable and work.:drinker:
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing right now - I've been wearing my ring on my middle finger because it slips off my ring finger too easily. I had a huge panic the other morning when I was outside doing C25k and more than halfway into my route, I noticed it wasn't on my hand. Since I'd been taking my gloves on and off (since it's cold at 5:30 in the morning in Minnesota!) and I was in a total panic that it had fallen off somewhere on my route. I got home nearly in tears only to find that I had safely taken it off before I had gone out that morning. Now I'm always super-careful to make sure it's off when I go out walking or running with gloves.
  • tdaddybarlow
    tdaddybarlow Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    That's a good NSV if i ever heard one!!! Onwards to -70lbs!!!
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I would use one of those ring sizers until you're done! I had engagement and wedding ring resized a couple of months back because, like you, they were spinning and falling off. Well, more weight has come off and they are spinny again. Crazy! It's a great NSV though ;) lol
  • ThorneDust
    ThorneDust Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I have long since just took mine off until I reach goal, then I'll have it resized. So I feel your pain! And your happiness!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    That is great, glad you found it.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I would have freaked out too!

Might I suggest wearing it on a chain around your neck until you're ready to resize it? =)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    So I woke up this morning and did the usual. Went downstairs, made some coffee, let the dog out, etc. I went to wash my hands and realized...to my utter horror...that my engagement ring was not on my finger!!!

**gasp**

Quickly, I run through all possible scenarios of when I may have taken it off. I wasn't drinking last night so I didn't drunkenly put it anywhere. Did I take it off while I was gardening? I don't think I did...I was wearing gloves. What about about when I was scooping the goop out of those pumpkins. I wore gloves for that too. OH MY GOD WHERE IS MY RING.

Panicked, I ran back upstairs to the bedroom. Is it on the dresser?
    no.
    Is it on the window sill where I put my glasses at night?
    no.
    Suddenly, I see something on the bed. It's small...it's round...it's sparkly...
    My PRETTY! She fell off in my sleep!

Panic dies doesn and relief kicks in. How did this happen? I have a bad habit of forgetting to put my ring on after I take it off for things like showers or sleep so I always just sleep with it on. I've noticed lately that it spins around on my finger now...and if I shake my hand a couple times hard enough, it will fling off. Apparently now I've lost enough weight that my ring can slide off in my sleep.

I'll take this as a win...found my ring...NSV! Problem is I don't want to bother resizing it because I still have 70 pounds to lose which will undoubtedly mean ANOTHER resizing and I just don't want to deal with that multiple times. It stays on my finger during normal activities so when (and if) it just starts sliding off my hand I'll take it in.

:)

I have seen little things that work to temporarily make a ring more snug. http://www.esslinger.com/wes-gemringguardsrefills-3pc.aspx
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!