Anyone else MORE hungry when they are sick?

Options
jr1985
jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
I've been sick the past couple of days... and the meals that will generally fill me up just fine have not been doing it for me... Since I can't even breathe through my nose I've taken a break from working out until I can breath again.... so I haven't allowed myself to be eating anymore... But I tell ya, maybe it was just the fact that I was sitting at home and not out at work, but I was hungry all the time and wanted to eat everything in sight!

Does this happen to anyone else as well?

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I gained weight when I had mono at 25 y/o...
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick, I'm less hungry.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    When I get sick I usually crave comfort foods, and generally eat more of them that I should.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm angry, and I'm angry when I'm sick. Therefore, I eat a lot more when I'm sick.
  • Lindseyelizabeth87
    Lindseyelizabeth87 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I gained weight when I had mono at 25 y/o...

I always thought a case of mono would be nice for the weight loss.. Apparently not!
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    When I get sick I usually crave comfort foods, and generally eat more of them that I should.

Hmmm maybe that's my problem... because I REALLY wanted to eat Cheesy Mashed Potatoes All day!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I crave protein when I get sick. Usually a bacon cheeseburger from Five Guys will do the trick.

I usually try to increase to maintenance when I'm sick or injured. No sense stressing my body any more than I have to.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    When I have a cold I think I generally feel like I need more chocolate and sugar.
    Not sure why.
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    When sick all I want is to be left alone.... tea, ginger ale, OJ, and chicken soup....
  • Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I usually have a strong craving for fruit when Im sick. I almost never lose my appetite either.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    My problem is similar...but I don't think it is because I am hungrier when sick. I assumed that I would eat a meal or a snack but since my taste buds are all out of whack when sick that the food I eat doesn't hit the spot or satisfy the craving so I go back for something cheesier, saltier, sweeter, etc.
  • Marksman21
    Marksman21 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Not surprising. In honesty, your body is burning up during that time, its using internal reactions and defenses to actually combat the disease. When this happens, you're burning calories at a slightly faster rate, you need to stay fueled for your body to keep up the good fight.

At least that's in my theory.
  • marie_eve_78
    marie_eve_78 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    When I have a cold I think I generally feel like I need more chocolate and sugar.
    Not sure why.

Same for me. I think it's because the sugar gives you more fuel and quick energy. We need it to fight the sickness.
  • BlueGirl1214
    Options
    I just got over a terrible chest cold. I found that I ate a lot less when I was sick and in the days after, I was ravenous.
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I am usually alot more hungry when I am sick, my stomach is constantly growling, and nothing fills me up. Only time I am not, is when I have stomach virus.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

^^THIS
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    Not at all.
    usually jsut want a grilled cheese and tomato soup
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I am sick right now and have been crushing all bad foods..................I have an insane sweet tooth when I feel bad
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Most of the time this is the case for me! I think it's an emotional response, wanting the comfort of food. I was sick earlier this week though and had a lower appetite than normal!
  • HMToomey
    HMToomey Posts: 276
    Options
    Ravenous! I pretty much ate at maintenance for 3 days this week because of it!