Anyone have a"spin" bike at home??

Options
I have been searching online, reading reviews, prices, options, etc.. and am having a hard time deciding which bike to get! Also on a budget so that isn't helping matters much. Anyway, I thought I'd just come here and see if anyone has a reasonably priced (between $200 and $500) "spin" bike at home that they love. I've read that a 40 lb flywheel is the way to go but have heard mixed things when it comes to chain and/or belt driven. At this point, I feel like I may be over-thinking it. I'll be using it at least a few times a week. What do you have and how has it worked out for you??

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I have this one and I love it:

http://www.proform.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_-1_14201_16002_29511_139603

It adjusts very easily and was easy to put together. Honestly, I like it better than the bikes at my gym (thank goodness we're getting new ones in a few weeks - same brand as mine). Plus, the price can't be beat - $299 for a quality bike! You can't touch a decent treadmill for that. It doesn't have a computer or fancy gadgets, but I know how hard I'm working and I wear a heart rate monitor anyway.

I use it for easy rides on rest/recovery days and when I can't get to my spin class. I'll turn on a tv show and put myself through a routine, changing every time the segment/scene changes. It's great for rainy days too, when I can't get outside to run.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have one (a Schwinn commercial model that I bought used) sitting in my garage unused (except as a convenient rack for drying scuba gear) since I bought a trainer to use my road bike indoors. My Tri club uses Lemond Revmasters for indoor biking at the studio.
  • fit4life76
    fit4life76 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    @Lora- Thank you, that is one of the bikes on my list! I'm only worried about the handlebars being too far away since they can only be adjusted vertically. I'm 5'2.5" on a good day. Do you think it could be an issue for me or not?

@Brian-Just give me your address and I'll come take care of that Schwinn for you;)
  • ron81008
    ron81008 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you have a bike then I would recommend a Kurt Kinetic Indoor Trainer.

Full disclosure I work for a division of Kurt :blushing:
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I'd love a spin bike at home! Would be great! Only so much my *kitten* can take with the spin bike though! Ouch! Lol x
  • fit4life76
    fit4life76 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If I had a decent road bike, I would probably think about getting a trainer but I don't! Just another person who got hooked on spin class at the gym:) I have a lot of other equipment at home and find the only time I go to the gym is once or twice a week for the class so it would probably be cheaper in the long run to get one for my house!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    @Lora- Thank you, that is one of the bikes on my list! I'm only worried about the handlebars being too far away since they can only be adjusted vertically. I'm 5'2.5" on a good day. Do you think it could be an issue for me or not?

@Brian-Just give me your address and I'll come take care of that Schwinn for you;)

I don't like that the handlebars don't adjust either, but I was able to move the seat to a comfortable position (it does move forwards and backwards) so it works. I'm 5'6" though.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I think it would be cheaper to buy one than to drive here!:laugh:

Full disclosure I work for a division of Kurt blushing

I don't work for Kurt but I use one their trainers & love it (the best out there) which is why my spinning is so badly neglected. Given a choice between buying a stationary bike or a trainer for your own bike the trainer wins hand down.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

Full disclosure I work for a division of Kurt :blushing:

They are great trainers (I don't work there though).

OP, you could scour your local classifieds - assuming northern hemisphere, this is the best time to buy a used bike - for a good used road bike, but a good trainer might kill your budget alone.

I'm also a fan of trainerRoad.com . But that might be way overboard for what you want.
  • holographic
    Options
    No but I have a very large hamster wheel.. Bit cramped but in it to win it ;)
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Want one, can't afford one.
  • lcfitnesscraze
    Options
    For those of you who do have a bike, do you have a DVD or another program you follow?
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    For those of you who do have a bike, do you have a DVD or another program you follow?

Bump! I used my stationary bike the other night and was bored to death, but then wondered if there were any good videos I could watch to pass the time and motivate me to work harder. Anything?
  • mnrooney06
    Options
    Even with videos "spinervals," I find 20-25 minutes of using the spin bike at home much more difficult than a 55 minute spin class due to motivation
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I definitely prefer a trainer. I never tried spinning before until a few weeks ago I got on a spinning bike, thinking that it would be similar to cycling.........lord no. I think the only thing in common is the circular motion of pedaling.

Give me my bike any day.

Although, I will say I hopped on one of those Livestrong full bike trainers. That was nice, and with the nice 1100 price tag, too.....
  • Yogeros
    Yogeros Posts: 19
    Options
    I hope this information helps.

I just bought this one yesterday:

http://www.weslo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_-1_13001_14852_23011_193771

I wanted a less expensive one and it seems to be worth the money so far, only used it once for an online spin class.
    I found this website (http://www.studiosweatondemand.com/about-us/studio-sweat/) and am going to sign up for the monthly pass once I finish up with her free 7 day trial. Her workouts are amazing and I was dead after the workout. Also, there are some spin classes on YouTube you could try out as well. Good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for.
  • slincoln2007
    Options
    I actually love putting together my own routines to spin to...if you have taken enough spin classes, you should be able to put together your own routine with music you like (and motivates). I find group classes to be annoying if I dont like the music...so I put together my own playlists and routines and get it going!