Wash 'em or not???

Options
AwesomeMoJo
AwesomeMoJo Posts: 1,145 Member
For those of you who have re-usable grocery bags....

DO you waash them in the waashing machine, by hand or not at all???

I had a spill in one of mine and am not sure. I hate to just toss it....

:bigsmile: Thank you for your suggestions...

Replies

• suribruise
    Options
    Um, I would say if your bag is dirty you should wash it...?
  • AwesomeMoJo
    AwesomeMoJo Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Um, I would say if your bag is dirty you should wash it...?

I figured that much...I just was not asure if the washing machine was to harsh for them or if hand washing would be better..or just toss it (which defeats the re'usable part...lol)
  • cathooo
    cathooo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the material of the bag. I have some cloth ones and some that are made out of "windbreaker" material that have no problem going in a warm machine wash. I also have some more "structured" ones that have tags on them that don't go in the washing machine as it can damage the bags and the washers (just like you're not supposed to wash underwire bras in the washing machine). Those ones get wiped out with a hot soapy cloth and seem OK. I usually use those for boxes and cans as the structure helps things stay in place and makes it more comfortable to carry.

I don't know about the new-fangled ones that seem to be made from woven strips of plastic melted together, like from Costco.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I wash mine all the time, all the ones that feel like that sort of plasticky canvas material, and then let them air dry. The writing wears off on some of them, but I'd rather that than nasty stuff growing on the blood from meat packages!!! Not to mention we also use the bags to transport muddy boots, dirty clothes, etc.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Ha! is it bad that my mind went directly to balls?
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I wash mine.
  • bayertablets
    bayertablets Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yep, I toss mine in the washing machine a couple of times a month.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I would soak it in the sink using anti-bacterial soap, and rinse well.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't wash them at all. But if I spilled something in one, then I would toss it.

ETA: Oh, wait: you said re-usable ones. :laugh:

I think you mean the ones *meant* to be re-used. I re-use the plastic ones. :tongue:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I put the cloth ones in the washer. Don't put them in the dryer because they will probably shrink. I learned the hard way. Unless there's sticky or bloody drippings in the plastic ones, I don't bother with them.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    If you can get to the liner in the bottom that helps it stand flat (mine is a rectangle of flimsy plastic), take it out.

I machine wash my bags on the delicate cycle. They hold up to it just fine, so far..
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    washing machine
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Definitely wash your bag, otherwise it starts to get kinda funky and turns people away!
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Reusable bags are supposed to be washed regularily to prevent the growth/transfer of germs/bacteria from/to food products. Most should hold up just fine on a gentle wash with warm/cold water. Probably would air dry them though.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    *edit

Oops! I thought we were talking about plastic bags. Please disregard my previous comment.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I wash my bag constantly... after all, it's mine I'll clean it as much as I want!
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I hand wash mine, I'm too afraid the material will rip or get damaged if I put them through the wash.
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    I always wipe them down with Lysol wipes (I have mostly the plasticy kind). I also always ask my meat be bagged in plastic bags because I don't want blood getting everywhere, gross!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I hand wash mine, I'm too afraid the material will rip or get damaged if I put them through the wash.

That REALLY sounds painful.

I prefer a good hand wash, myself.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    They can go in the machine.