Target Calorie burn?

Options
Do you have a target number of calories that you try to burn in each workout or total for the day through workouts?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Targeting a specific amount of calories burned is a common mistake people make when trying to get in shape. People get into this Burn Race with other MFPers. Or they keep searching for the most accurate way to track what they've burned. Calories burned has no relation to weight loss. None at all. That's why there's no need for HRMs to calculate calories.

Instead, set a target fitness goal. You want to try to run a certain distance. Or for a certain length of time without stopping. Or the same distance in a shorter time. Lift a heavier weight. Lift the same weight for more reps. Those are the type of goals that will change your body.
  • possibri
    possibri Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Targeting a specific amount of calories burned is a common mistake people make when trying to get in shape. People get into this Burn Race with other MFPers. Or they keep searching for the most accurate way to track what they've burned. Calories burned has no relation to weight loss. None at all. That's why there's no need for HRMs to calculate calories.

Instead, set a target fitness goal. You want to try to run a certain distance. Or for a certain length of time without stopping. Or the same distance in a shorter time. Lift a heavier weight. Lift the same weight for more reps. Those are the type of goals that will change your body.

Wow! That's a really good point. Though I think calculating calories is still really useful, so that it's easy to track how many extra calories you have if you don't have your exercise included in your activity level.
  • grdnr03
    grdnr03 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I target 500 cals burn when on stationary bike, on treadmill i aim for 60 min time. this is working for me at this moment i will re evaluate food and excercise the next 10 pds lost.

good luck on your journey to being healthy!
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options

This makes a lot of sense BUT calories burned IS important. It takes 3,500 burned calories to lose a pound of fat. One of my goals is to burn 5,000 calories A WEEK. The daily number is not as important to me. However, I have other fitness goals, as well. Push ups, squats, jumping jacks, pull ups on the bar, etc. all play a role, in addition to my P90px regiment. Another goal will be running two half marathons next year so training starts in December. Mind you, I have NEVER been a runner at all but this is a goal that I plan to accomplish. :-)
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I have burn goals, but they are small and attainable. I try for three days of 300 calories burned and three days of 400 calories. I do some heavy lifting, and that is really hard to estimate calories burned from, so I am really not sure what is being burned. I just go by mfp estimates for weights and use my HRM for any cardio.

However, I am a very numbers oriented person (Accountant :smile: ) so I like those definate but attainable goals.
  • goalie35
    goalie35 Posts: 245 Member
    Options

I've been doing this for the last 6 months & have been stuck in a plateau. Yes, I've feel that I'm stronger and my endurance is better but I'm still stuck when dropping pounds. I do weights and running as my go to exercises. I'm thinking of targeting for 500+ burn 4x a week.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

^^This guy is smart. I know, 'cause he keeps beating me at words with friends.

I only have a target calorie goal when I know I'm going to be eating something that will put me over goal, i.e. a half a pizza. On those rare occasions, I'll pre-log it, and make sure I exercise at least that much. But in general, my goals are to get faster, stronger, leaner, and have more stamina/endurance. Calorie burn is just a bonus.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    No. That's silly.