Shoveling Snow

Options
Hello,
I shoveled snow today for about 20 minutes, what would I count that as? for exercise, there's no category for shoveling snow,...
I was just going to finish my diary for today, so I kinda need to know :p

Replies

• birgithooker
    Options
    Go to sparkpeople.com and there is an exercise calculator. You can choose shoveling snow and it will calculate the calories burned based on your weight and height and time done. Then you can go to exercise and add it as your own exercise. For me I put it in as a cardio exercise and now everytime I shovel, I choose it and put in the appropriate number of minutes and it automatically calculates the calories burned. For me, I burn about 300 calories per hour.
  • ClarkWGriswold
    Options
    I had the same issue yesterday, I used this site below to get an estimate on what I may have burned. I do know this, it was my toughest workout of the week!

http://www.healthstatus.com/cgi-bin/calc/calculator.cgi
  • HappyJamese17
    Options
    I used "raking the lawn". It's about the same motion and effort :)
  • thecowgirl72
    thecowgirl72 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Shoveling is`awesome! I do it as much as I can unless time is critical or the weather is completely NASTY! It's a great opportunity!
  • beachcrazy
    Options
    Try this website: http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/burned/calories_burned_Shoveling_snow_by_hand.html

you can Google: how many calories shoveling snow. and you'll get a slew of calculators.

Depending on the website I'm burning about 420-640 cal per hour shoveling snow. Either way, shoveling snow is great cardio. Put it under cardio when you list it.
  • fooja
    fooja Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    wow....i was just about to post that i shoveled snow for bout 45 mins and wondered if i could use it as my workout.....and i saw this post!!! lol!!!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I wore a HRM for 2 different snow shoveling days. One was a light fluffy snow measuring about 10 inches. I burned 240 calories in 40 minutes.

A week later the snow was 4-6 inches, wet and heavy. I burned 455 calories in about 50 minutes.

Same driveway, different snow quality makes a big difference.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    sorry a double post! Computer is acting wacky!