struggling after one week

Options
So I really started to track everything i put in my mouth for the last week or so. I lost 2lbs when i weighed myself last friday, this friday and i'm back to my starting weight. :sad:

I'm under my calorie intake everyday so i don't understand why i'm not losing anything. I would love any tips or some motivational people helping me out with my journey to weightloss.

Replies

• erindh87
    Options
    Give it a little more time. Our weights fluctuate constantly due to a variety of factors (water retention, restroom use, for women-which day of the cycle you're in, whether or not you've just eaten a meal, etc) . In one day, I'll fluctuate 2-4 lbs. It'll take a little longer than one week in order to really start seeing results.

Try to make sure you're weighing yourself consistently. Whether it's once a day, once a week, once a month, etc, try to weigh at the exact same time, wearing the exact same clothes, post bathroom use, etc.

Don't give up! It's a lifestyle change. Results aren't instant. Good luck!! :smile:

Edit: spelling
  • alirae2289
    Options
    I totally know what you meant I weighed my self one day and was happy with it the next day my scale said I had gained 4 lbs and I was way under my calorie count that day... Crazy the way things can fluctuate.
  • Evey_bee
    Evey_bee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    1 week isn't really long enough to see overall results. I weigh myself twice a week, and try to look at the overall trend in weight loss and not worry too much if one day is up by a couple of lbs.
  • purduegurl18
    Options
    Don't forget about water retention! You can fluctuate by anywhere from 1 to 15lbs even just with water. Keep going, don't give up! Maybe you'll be down 8lbs next week. The best thing you can do is keep meeting your goals and continue trying. It will happen as long as you do those things.

I totally understand how discouraging it can be to step on that scale and not see it go down. Just shake it off and try again this week. You can't lose it if you don't try ;)
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Heres the best advice i was ever given!!! DO not weigh yourself everyday because it will affect your day!!! You didnt gain the weight over night and you will not lose it overnight!!! Stay strong be positive But never give up!!!! You got this just keep trying!!!
  • mks709
    mks709 Posts: 8
    Options
    thanks for the advice, just what i needed
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I found that viewing the end game really helped me. If I know I'm eating right, then I know my weight will eventually go down. I actually have big issues with water retention so I need to take the long view and not focus on the day to day results. I still weigh myself every day but I don't sweat it if my weight goes up for a day or two.

As long as you are eating less calories than you're burning, your weight will eventually drop. You'll get a visit from the "Whoosh Fairy" and suddenly lose a few pounds all at once.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Great job so far! Weight fluctuates a lot, but if you're expending more calories than you eat, your weight loss is happening and the scale just didn't register due to water weight, or maybe how much poop is in your system. Make sure you don't eat too few calories, though. You're doing great!