The one thing I fear

Options
I fear almost nothing. I can do public speaking, face needles to give blood, and jump out of a plane. Tomorrow I have a PT test, and it is the one thing that fills me with anxiety. I've been training for it for months, and I've cleaned up my pushups to the point they pass a giggle check. I can do situps like they're my job, and I have an abdominal measurement that earns me full points (yay freakishly small waist!). The only thing that really gets to me is the run. I've been doing fartleks to train for speed and distance runs and logically I think I have this in the bag, but it doesn't stop my heart from racing at the thought.

(Here's the standards: http://www.airforce-pt.com/Female30-39.html You have to pass each category and also get a cumlative score of above 75)

I know I got this, but any hints or helpful anecdotes are much appreciated!

(I will report back tomorrow to let you know how it went).

Replies

• jdancer369
    Options
    I've got nothing accept good luck! you have trained hard, you've got this! dont stress!!
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    How far do you have to run? It lists the times but not the length.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I've got nothing accept good luck! you have trained hard, you've got this! dont stress!!

I second this, good luck!!!
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Use the nerves to your advantage...always works for me in school for the big exams. I get totally wired and it helps me focus, I always pull it off, then have to blow some MAJOR steam after. You know you've got this, just build up some steam and then let it rip...and let us know.
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't have any advice. It's all a mental battle if you logically think you're going to do well. Just breathe.

Sending tons of good luck!
  • crazylikefox
    Options
    1.5 miles on some roads around the base, no official track. They changed the route since my last test but I was able to recon it and run it so I would feel more familiar.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Oh you'll be fine then! Don't try to psyche yourself out, just pretend it's any other run. If it makes you feel any better, I can't do a single pushup, I cap out at like 20 situps, I have two bum knees, and I can run a mile and a half in 12-13 minutes. You're in much better shape than me - you'll do great!

Just don't eat anything out of the ordinary in the morning, especially if you're prone to nervousness. :) And good luck!
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    you got it, no problem!
  • StarLeopard
    StarLeopard Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Stop and look around you. If they can do it, you can do it. That thought has gotten me past many obstacles. Have a great time and cross the finish line smiling.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    your fine,,go kick some *kitten*.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    your such an inspiration!
  • crazylikefox
    Options
    I passed :D, but by the skin of my teeth because of the run. I run like a turtle, but a well prepared one. I have found the secret to running now is incorporating long runs with fartleks. When I ran my fastest time, I did mostly 5 to 6 mile runs, with a little speed training. This time I focused mostly on fartleks and running 1.5 to 3 miles, and I was a minute slower. A minute is a big deal when you are being graded!

As they say in my line of work, this is an opportunity to excel ;)
  • biscuitwelsh
    biscuitwelsh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Make friends with the 702x0
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! That's a fantastic achievement! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Former Navy girl here: Funniest PFT ever for me was the first one after boot camp at my first command. I got nervous the week before worked out like a fiend. I came prepared for it, but the night before had Mexican food.

Worst.
    Idea
    Ever

Push-ups went well. no one laughed.

Sit-ups were a disaster, I passed the amount needed. But every single up movement caused me to fart loudly. So for the full 2 minutes the poor guy holding my feet got gassed, my face was so red. I wanted to die.

The run went well 11:30 seconds for the 1.5 miles.

Congrats on passing it!
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    You did something I could never do...have never done and will never try...........

I revel in your success...........CONGRATULTIONS!!!!!!!

how_you_look-original.jpg
  • crazylikefox
    Options
    Hah!! I believe you, because I have held the feet for someone who had the same thing happen to them. The guys next to him could hear it and I could see them cracking up but still trying to fight through the laughs so they didn't lower their own counts ;)

It used to be that you would pair up with a buddy, and they would count your reps and you would count theirs. Sometimes, you could pick a friend, and maybe they would add a couple to your actual number, and maybe you would return the favor. This test was the first one where that wasn't an option at all. They had seven elements and a counter at the end of each, so seven people at a time would get their push-ups till everyone cycled through, followed by sit-ups.

That being said, I feel even better about this test, because I had a personal best since 2004 in both the push-ups and the sit-ups, and there was no fudging any numbers. It was an exercise in futility anyway, because the run never lies!
  • crazylikefox
    Options
    Thanks for all the support <3 !! I thought about MFP while I was being tested, and I know if it wasn't for being able to track tmy diet and exercise here, I would definitely be heavier and slower. Slowly, I am making changes. Today my Captain even caught me doing calf raises in the hallway while waiting to speak to a different officer. After I passed, I ate a monster burger with onion rings and ranch, and have been more indulgent than usual this weekend.

Monday I'm back on the program and shooting for under 15:39 (my best time ever) for my next test. I was training for a half marathon, so I think I will put another half marathon on the books for when I test again next October :) The secret to running faster, I have unfortunately found, is just running waaay more.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Good job! I knew you had it in you.