Which one is easier to stick with, running outside.....

Options
Which one is easier to stick with, running outside, using DVDs or going to gym?

Replies

• dexter4564
    dexter4564 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I bought a stationary bike for pretty cheap on Amazon and I've found it really easy to stick to. I can use it any time I have 30 minutes free during the day and watch something on netflix at the same time.
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options
    I walk, and bikeoutside, and i do yoga dvds and Dance Dance Revolution at home, indoors. I can burn up to1000+ cals a day. no gym required.
  • aimiee88
    aimiee88 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hey,

For me its a range of activities that keep me going!
    I mainly run outside with my running partner - who is a good motivator in the 1st place!
    But i also do Zumba on the Xbox, or the treadmill if i cant get out running.
    Also Frisbee for an hour - actually quite a hard workout running and catching the thing!

I am also going to start Pilates workout at home with my friend =)

So, basically for me its doing it with someone else that makes it alittle more fun rather than thinking it as a workout!
    If i do it on my own i give up very easily! :S
  • ruthio77
    ruthio77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Over the years i've found that the gym is always the first thing to go when money gets tight, so i stick to running, DVD's and mountain biking on weekends. I find its so much easier to stick to!
    I do however really miss the pool, and i want to start weight training, so it'll be interesting to see how i get on with that at home!
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I find the gym is.

Because: 1. I pay for a lot for my membership, which encourages me to use it a lot. and 2. there is HEAPS to do at my gym, so there is always something different I can do.
  • venetianz
    venetianz Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i dont have a gym buddy, i used to run alone i lost motivation, then dvds, i just dont know. I also did gym and managed to keep it up until my baby sitter left. Im thinking of getting a gym membership again.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Probably dvds. Love he gym, currently doing kettleworx. Very effective, short work outs that are easy to fit in! X
  • SeamsSewWright
    Options
    Running outside. Fresh air, no electronic distractions, visual landmarks and the feeling of accomplishing an exercise few learn to fully utilize.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Same here - running outside, alone in the fresh air and natural scenery, not staring at a blank wall in a gym on a treadmill. Running barefooted on the wet beach and then after half hour's run when hot and glowing, running straight into the sea for a swim.

My yoga class - wouldn't be without it.

Working out at home to P90X but choosing which sessions to fit in with my other activities.
  • sophieclarev
    Options
    I like to do a real mixture. That way if it's raining I can do the cross trainer or if it's beautiful I can enjoy the great outdoors. It means no excuses....you know except for the whole "I'm just outta time" thing.
  • chayleah
    chayleah Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Totally dependent on the person...for me running outside and going to the gym. I work from home so being out of the house is important to me and cardio machines bore me to tears. Plus with a cardio machine, I can just hop off when I get tired/bored, but outside once I'm tired I still need to make it back to my house or car.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Which one is easier to stick with, running outside, using DVDs or going to gym?

Whichever one you enjoy more.
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Running can be pretty addictive for me. It's always a challenge.
  • jkuhnen
    jkuhnen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think it depends where you live. For years I tried to run outside, but then I noticed a pattern. I'd start running early summer late spring and stop running late fall. I hate cold weather! This probably goes for people who are in extremely hot summer climates too.

So I bought myself an gym quality elliptical and a streaming Netflix subscription and stuck the elliptical in front of the TV. Now I live on the stupid thing, every night. There is no time spent traveling to a gym, and I literally do it EVERY day. In fact, I watch whole TV series' on it, and only allow myself to watch when I'm ellipticalling. That way if I want to see how a particular episode, or season end I have to do a 2 hour workout.
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    For me, running. I run how hard and long I want, and I enjoy it.
  • lizzie1030
    Options
    I do a DVD every morning after I have my coffee. When I belonged to a gym, I didn't go everyday. Especially in cold weather when it's dark and snowy outside. There is nothing to stop me from popping in a DVD. On weekends when the weather is nice, I love to go hiking, but again, that depends on other factors.
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you're the only one that can answer that for yourself. I get so bored in the gym and I need the social aspect of working out so DVD's at home are a last resort for me (like it's snowing here in TX and I can't go anywhere). I love running outside and the bootcamp class that I do.

You have to find what works for you......
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Mix it up, thats all I can tell you.

Personally I run and fight.....A LOT! But I mix in the gym and then body weight stuff.