Menu choices for a buffet

Options
Help, I'm going out to dinner with the in-laws at a buffet (not my choice). What are good menu items to choose? I saved about 700 calories for tonight.

Replies

• sweetd_cali
    sweetd_cali Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Grilled or baked meats, steamed veggies, salad bar, frozen yogurt if they have one of those soft serve machines
  • martintanz
    Options
    Stick to the salad bar, and stay away from croutons, cheese, or high calorie dressings. Buffets are loaded with carbs. Maybe stick to some meat, fish, or chicken. If it is fried, don't eat the skin.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    rotisserie chicken, baked potatoes
  • martintanz
    Options
    Grilled or baked meats, steamed veggies, salad bar, frozen yogurt if they have one of those soft serve machines

Dunno about the soft serve ice cream. Too much sugar.
  • AmyTippett2012
    Options
    Pick a meat like grilled chicken or fish. Nothing fried. Then load the rest of your plate up with veggies like green beans, broccoli and salad with a vinegar based dressing.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

Dunno about the soft serve ice cream. Too much sugar.

how much is too much?
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    Also, if you taste something that you've put on your plate and it's not DELICIOUS don't eat it. There is no clean plate club and you won't offend the cook if you don't finish it.
  • walkermom58
    walkermom58 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I so want to stay within my calorie limit.
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    If you are watching carbs they are the same on the buffet table as anywhere else namely fruits, breads, pasta so you are better off sticking to proteins and vegetables like green beans, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower...it's tough. Rotisserie chicken can be high in fat but low to no carbs depending on what they put on it to cook.

700 calories is a lot so you ought to do well. I would say enjoy the evening and your family. Make the same choices you would make at home and you should have a great time! Bon-a-petit!