Planet Fitness vs. World Gym

Options
So as of right now, I go to World Gym. I really like it there and have been a member for about 14 months. Well, sad news for me, cuz the one location I do go to, is closing down. The owners of World are opening a Planet Fitness in the next Plaza. I have two options [because option three is to pick neither, and well, thats not an option].

1. I can choose to switch my membership and go to Planet Fitness. All I know about this gym is that heavy lifting is frowned upon, not that Im a heavy lifter??? But I want to be able to have the right equipment available to use. Ive taken a tour of another local PF and ehhh... I wasnt too impressed. I dont know if it was just the fact that I didnt feel comfortable there, or the LUNK ALARM??? Weird...

2. I can still be a WG member but I would have to travel the 4.5 miles across town to get there, which is terribly inconvenient due to the city traffic. I LOVE this location though. I dont feel intimidated in the free weight section, they have the ellipticals that I like, etc.

PF is $10 a month, $20 I think if I want to tan again, which, well lets face it, I wish my mom had sex with a dark man so I could be caramel colored since birth... WG is $20 a month, with no tanning. PF I believe is 24/7?, WG is 5am to 10pm M-T, Fri closes at 9pm, and Sat/Sun 6 to 6. The people that go to this particular WG are so motivational to look at too. All kinds of massively buff muscles popping out of cut up gym shirts that dont even count as real shirts anyways...

So which gym do I choose? Anyone have any input on PF???

Thankssss lovelyyyysss!!! :)))

Replies

• nascarbettie
    nascarbettie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love PF. I've been a member there since June. I have no complaints whatsoever. The lunk thing rarely goes off. Just when someone drops weights lol. I love their 30 min circuit. You get a cardio workout and full body strength workout all in 30 min.
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I love PF, been going for a little over two years and aside from a couple idiot's here and there have nothing bad to say...
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I go to GloboGym, home of the purple cobras!
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I would try out WG for a bit at the other location, and if it is truly a hassle to get across town, switch to Planet Fitness. You can always go back to WG.
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

We're better than you, and we know it!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    The PF near me is definitely not 24/7... Yours may be different?

Honestly I found it 100% worth the extra $10 a month to find a cleaner gym with better equipment and better trainers. I was a member of PF for a year and yes my membership there helped me lose a lot of weight, but if you want to take your training to the next level, I'd say it's worth it to find a gym that suits what you want. The slight inconvenience is worth it if it's a gym you're going to USE.
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I love PF, switched from Fitness 19. If you pay the 20 you get tanning, red light, plus the hydro massage bed and massage chairs. They also shave a personal trainer on staff that has classes.

I think they set the lunk alarm off, sometimes it goes for no reason.

And I don't think they frown at heavy lifting, I've seen plenty of people that lift.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I love PF but uhhhh....you're not allowed to do deadlifts. I do them anyway, but i think they let me get away with it because I'm a girl. When the guys do it, the LUNK alarm goes off.
  • mhaworth12
    mhaworth12 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I go to PF and I love it!! I have tried many gyms but this one has stuck. :) super happy with my gym. I pay the 20 for the tanning and all that good stuff and it is well worth it.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I love Planet Fitness too....the alarm's never been a bit deal to me cause no one's ever used it. And you can lift there-just not heavy lifting but each gym has their own "definition" of heavy so you could ask. I pay the 20 bucks a month for tanning (even though I have yet to use it this year lol) and so I can use ANY location so I don't have to worry when I'm on vacation and find the hotels have small workout.

My Planet Fitness is 24 hours but there are 2 others within 30 minutes of my house and they aren't.

Give it a try-both of them and see what you think. You don't have to pick right now right-you can take a few days or a week to figure it out
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    The PF near me is definitely not 24/7... Yours may be different?

Honestly I found it 100% worth the extra $10 a month to find a cleaner gym with better equipment and better trainers. I was a member of PF for a year and yes my membership there helped me lose a lot of weight, but if you want to take your training to the next level, I'd say it's worth it to find a gym that suits what you want. The slight inconvenience is worth it if it's a gym you're going to USE.

That. Perhaps you could ride your bike the few miles to the gym if traffic is your only factor there.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options

purplecobras.jpg
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Oh also - Any gym will give you a trial day (or even week). Go to both and compare side-by-side.
  • erindh87
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness and love it. It's perfect for what I use it for which is the treadmills and stationary bikes. I do my strength training at home, but the free weight section looks like it would be pretty decent.

One thing to note is that Planet Fitness is franchised, and I've heard it can vary quite a bit from gym to gym. If it has different owners, then the new Planet Fitness that they are building may be quite a bit different from the one you toured.

Edit: Also, my Planet Fitness is 24/7 M-Th. It closes at 9 on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Oh also - Any gym will give you a trial day (or even week). Go to both and compare side-by-side.

That's true--try them out! Planet Fitness is my gym, and I love it, despite the Lunk Alarm. I've voiced my concerns to them, but that's about all I can do about it. My husband and I do weight lifting each morning (I'm not sure if it's "heavy," but it's getting heavier as we go along) and nobody bothers us. If you were looking to deadlift 150lb (which would be great!) this probably wouldn't be the most welcoming environment for you. But we do basic lifting and cardio and we couldn't be happier. Ours is 24/7, and our other option is Gold's Gym--$30+/month and way too crowded in a smaller space. I don't know anything about the other gym you mentioned though. Hope you find one you're happy with!
  • TabbathaAnne
    TabbathaAnne Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thank you awesome gym goers! I appreciate all your input!

Xoxo!