am i doing this right or wrong?

Options
my goal a day is around 1300 calories a day but i work out 6 times a week doing beachbody brazillian butt lift plus aerobics and swimming, my problem is i love sweet food and i end up eating the calories iv burned after my dinner.. am i doing right or wrong?

Replies

• DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I've read alot about this on these discussions, and I'm still not completely sure. Personally, I eat the calories I burn so I am up to my calorie goal. I figure that it already gave me a deficit, so I earned them!
  • abby21lincs
    Options
    I've read alot about this on these discussions, and I'm still not completely sure. Personally, I eat the calories I burn so I am up to my calorie goal. I figure that it already gave me a deficit, so I earned them!

Do you find you are still loosing weight this way, i daren't get on the scales i feel like iv eat too much sweet stuff lol
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Both.

It is actaully correct to eat back some if not all of your calories from exercise.

However, if it's all sweets that's not going to help you. So if you can turn that around to mostly good foods you'll be doing great.

Not to say you can't have a sweet but try a protein smoothie they have chocolate ones if that makes it sound better...then allow yourself a single peice of whatever sweet you crave I have those little Dove Promises when I have a good workout I have one after dinner.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry substitute protein for sugar. If you're not really hungry but just want to eat sweets it won't kill you if you're not going over your net calories but there are better choices.

Right or wrong? You get to choose.
  • abby21lincs
    Options
    Il keep that in mind, can i get them in the uk the dove promises? i really need ti find something that stops me craving more chocolate and sweets, fruit never seems to work so i'm open to suggestions :)
  • abby21lincs
    Options
    If you're hungry substitute protein for sugar. If you're not really hungry but just want to eat sweets it won't kill you if you're not going over your net calories but there are better choices.

Right or wrong? You get to choose.

It feels wrong to me and i let this get me down, what are your best foods for protein?
  • DenyseMarieL
    Options

Do you find you are still loosing weight this way, i daren't get on the scales i feel like iv eat too much sweet stuff lol

Yes, not super quickly, though. About 1/2 lb a week. Which is fine by me!
  • abby21lincs
    Options
    1/2 a week is certainly better than nothing though .. keep it up :)
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    It depends how accurate you count calories, and how much calories your body actualy uses throughout the day.
  • DenyseMarieL
    Options
    chocolate is a HUGE thing for me....I've been having a chocolate protein shake in the afternoon when I crave the chocolate flavour. It seems to be working so far!
  • abby21lincs
    Options
    me too! i must find a chocolate shake that works for me.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Il keep that in mind, can i get them in the uk the dove promises? i really need ti find something that stops me craving more chocolate and sweets, fruit never seems to work so i'm open to suggestions :)

Oh, not sure but any individually wrapped small chocolate is good. I eat the dark choclate for some reason I have better luck at eating just one of those. If I had a roommate I'd ask them to hide the bag and only give me one a day. But Idon't and my dog can't help with that so if I feel my will power slipping I put thim inthe freezer they are way too hard to devour when frozen so that usually keeps me to one or two. But hey if I really need a sweet fix then I need one and I just go for it but I try to do that only once a month and only one 200-300 calorie treat.
  • abby21lincs
    Options

Oh, not sure but any individually wrapped small chocolate is good. I eat the dark choclate for some reason I have better luck at eating just one of those. If I had a roommate I'd ask them to hide the bag and only give me one a day. But Idon't and my dog can't help with that so if I feel my will power slipping I put thim inthe freezer they are way too hard to devour when frozen so that usually keeps me to one or two. But hey if I really need a sweet fix then I need one and I just go for it but I try to do that only once a month and only one 200-300 calorie treat.

That is a great idea thanks
  • shrinkinginQualicum
    shrinkinginQualicum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If my craving is after dinner (isn't everyones?) I drink herbal tea with a teeeny bit of sugar. The time it takes to drink, and the sweetness, is the only thing that kills my cravings. Besides the chips, chocolate bar, ice cream or whatever I might have instead! I tried fruit and/or veggies, and they did nothing at all. And tea doesn't really work in the afternoon either. I think then it might be real hunger, in which case protein snack is the best thing. Good luck, I think fighting those cravings is the hardest part of weight loss and fitness. I swear having to exercise is simpler to deal with.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    You're burning a lot of calories with all those activities. If the sweets you're eating are enough to cancel out your workouts in terms of calories, you're probably way overindulging. Can you substitute some of it for healthier stuff and still give yourself some leeway to still have a bit of chocolate every day?

I guess if you're under your calorie limit it's okay, but if you want to be healthier in general, using sweets as such a large part of your diet isn't doing you any favors... Maybe it would help you to portion out a dessert or something beforehand so that you don't overdo it. After all, training yourself to moderate your choices in food is part of the process and a good habit to get into. If at some point you had to take a break from that amount of exercise, you want to make sure you're not going to completely fall off the wagon due to diet choices.
  • jaforgie
    jaforgie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I keep fruit in the freezer and thaw it slightly for a snack. It's like eating ice cream without the guilt! Strawberries and pineapple are my 2 favorites!
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I always leave some calories leftover (not counting my exercise calories) for a small sweet treat.. just big enough to satisfy my craving. otherwise it's game over lol.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Try the marks and spencers count on us desserts. I often get one of the chocolate muffin ones, and freeze it and have that before bed so it is a bit like ice cream. Or get a luxury yoghurt, one of the creamy ones like Asda strawberry and cream and freeze that and have it, again it turns out like ice cream. Another are the aero chocolate mousses. Same again, freeze it first so it lasts longer. I didn't get on with protein shakes, and they are no substitute in my opinion, for the real thing so I now go for a lower calorie chocolate dessert or a full fat yoghurt.

Allowing myself just one chocolate bar a day also worked, and that was usually a Kitkat chunky. I would just take my time with it, and the 260 calories fit in fine due to my workouts being so intense.
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Both.

It is actaully correct to eat back some if not all of your calories from exercise.

However, if it's all sweets that's not going to help you. So if you can turn that around to mostly good foods you'll be doing great.

Not to say you can't have a sweet but try a protein smoothie they have chocolate ones if that makes it sound better...then allow yourself a single peice of whatever sweet you crave I have those little Dove Promises when I have a good workout I have one after dinner.

^^This
    I don't eat sweets any more, but I don't crave them, because my protein shakes are delicious. If I'm craving some sort of treat, I'll add 1/4 of a package of sugar-free pudding mix to a whey protein smoothie. Or have a piece of fruit. That's plenty sweet enough these days.